DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

I love you Oyaji & BLR but that's a lot of pronoun handwringing BS you are parroting.

Find me an English-language article anywhere written before the above piece that says that a team of male athletes went "back to being husbands, partners, and fathers".

mens soccer =/= womens soccer,

men =/= women and never will be no matter how much we ignore our biological nature

Apples =/= oranges, but they are both still delicious in their own way

And it's ok to have different qualities we excel at and not be "equal" in all things, ad nauseum.  We don't have to be equal to love and respect each other and appreciate our differences.  Celebrating women's motherly qualities is a good thing, and used to be praised, now it's sexist?  You would trade your loving mother's tender care and prefer for her to act like your father?   It's madness to ignore our biology and try to fit square pegs in round holes, which is what the media is telling you all to do.

I´m with Burgundy here:

No overreacting, I found it more hilariously clumsy. It is clicheed, but apparently, somehow since 1966 the English always find a way to spoil even the good things about football, whether it´s the squads on the pitch, some stuff beside it, "fans" or most recently and time and time again the FA. I´m almost 100% sure if England would beat Germany in the next WC finals, they´d tweet something like "2 WWs and 2 WCs, doodaaa".

The statement was simply a PR -disaster, aswell as sexist.

No one is trying to put Women´s football and Men´s football on the same level. They aren´t and probably never will be.

But tbh, aside from the physical differences that might or might not be (athleticism? BIG questionmark here imo) or are (one of the two sexes being able to give birth to children) existant, the main difference is that there is a HUGE market attached to the other, aswell as more than 100 years of competitive matches for one, and less than half the time and maybe 1/20th of the market for the other.

But how could anyone NOT type the tweet above, read it before posting and wonder: "Wouldn´t it be better to just go with "They return home heroes!"? Isn´t this statement from an official outlet ridden with 1950s-era-thinking?"

To clarify: There is essentially nothing WRONG with being a mother, a daughter or a partner/wife. But a statement like this from an association in a sport (women´s football) that is fighting for round about 45 years to get recognized and accepted is simply a slap in the face. It´s comparable to how the German women´s team got their price from the DFB for winning the W-EURO 1989 (I think, might be 1988) in form of a coffe set.

Happy that there is stuff attached to it and it wasn´t MEANT sexist, but it clearly is claiming a role-model-category for women which they are trying to get out of for years. Tweet, context and story lead away from "great [maybe even heroic] effort by professional athletes" to "miracle performance by housewives and mothers".

If those people aren´t professional football players as full timers, you could have gone with "They return being bankers, construction workers bla bla whatver". Instead whoever did the Tweet chose something stereotypically female. As some said, the biggest problem is the following: Nobody would make those tweets when Rooney and Co. would have gone to the final four, been eliminated in an extremely unfortunate matter and clinched third place in the end. They would have returned "heroes", but not "fathers, husbands and sons."

Intentional sexism? Maybe not, but very very little awareness and a very clumsy thing to do. Of, and whether intentional or not, it remains a sexist tweet.

Aside from that, there has been no real overreaction here imo, just people pointing out what irks them about it / is wrong with this. The biggest overreactor would have been me, probably, since I asked something like "Are they for real?!" with no further constructive addendum. ;)

• Like 1

Really, they missed a great opportunity to say "They return to Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool, all games available in HD on BT Sport, Channel 549..."

• Like 1

Really, they missed a great opportunity to say "They return to Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool, all games available in HD on BT Sport, Channel 549..."

If it was the Amercian women, they wouldnt have seen most of the World Cup stars, who apparently missed their first NWSL games after the cup was over, presumably doing all that PR from winning. :)