DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

France vs Germany was probably a good game, I watched a little through black-red-gold glasses though and therefore it was way more exhausting than entertaining. The French Ladies had a great first half and should have probably been up by one or two goals. Especially the wingers were crazy good and they had great passing for most of the match. On the contrary, our team had a really rough day in that regard, losing possession quickly and sometimes in really dumb fashion. A mix of French inability and good goalkeeping aswell as strong hustling from the fullbacks Kemme (who was outstanding) and Maier aswell as the CBs Krahn (also with a great game) and Peter helped Germany shutting out France in the first half. The midfield however I was really disappointed with for the first 45 minutes.

The second half we got back into the game to what seemed nothing but will and determination, the French didn´t dominate midfield like they did before and it took a lot more effort for them to create less chances. The goal came pretty much out of nowhere, when it looked like the Gerwomen had gained control of the match and were getting more and more threatening up front. Too bad for Peter, Bartusiak´s replacement (banned after two yellow cards), That she headed the ball back into the middle in what I´d consider a lapse of concentration, than hustled back into the play only to deflect the ball, leaving Angerer no chance to make a safe. Not sure if Necib´s shot would have hit the back of the net otherwise. I liked how the team fought back afterwards, although it still had some real trouble creating real chances up front and the passing still seemed subpar. The PK call looked like a bad one in real time, but in slow motion I thought it could have been called, although I wouldn´t have complained if the ref had missed it. Sasic took the very late penalty in a fantastic fashion, well placed, good power and even fooling the gk.

France seemed rattled, yet still managed to get a fantastic chance when they missed an open net shortly before extra time. Overall it was a great back and forth match and nobody over here would have complained about the French team advancing. After a rough campaign start they had a great tournament and went out after a good penalty shootout. Yeah, the Lavogez pk was a sloppy one, but nine others were well taken (Necib for France and Sasic for Germany with the best spotkicks I´d say) and usually, in great shootouts, there is the one bad kick that determines winner and looser. In recent time, men´s pk shootouts often had numerous bad PKs, actually.

Tried to, but didn´t manage to stay awake for the US vs China. First 15 minutes or so I watched, I recall USA looking pretty good and Rodriguez looked better up front than Wambach did against Columbia. She was way more mobile and should have scored with the first attack of the game. Well, then I fell asleep and had to watch the highlights, from which I gather than China didn´t really create anything remotely thratening to Hope Solo´s goal. It will be interesting to see this semi-final. The USWNT so far has done the job. It didn´t always look great and they didn´t win big, but they won and won against tough opponents. I have no real idea how strong they really are, they seem to have trouble making plays, but they have some great physicality and somehow are always able to slip through a goal. They didn´t seem as quick and as great with their passing plays, though, as France did, so they might be a better suited opponent for our team, but I´m really not sure about that.

So, it seems quite likely all of favourites and co-favourites will prevail, the only team left to KINDA spoil the party is England, though I would say the gap between them and Canada is not that huge.
None of them looked that awesome, though. Considering how the traditional powers like Norway or Sweden and the highly regarded Brazilianettes got eliminated quite early and a lot of matches have been close, I´m really thinking the gap has been closed quite a bit. Yeah, there were the weaker teams like Thailand, Ecuador and Ivory Coast which were beaten handily,  but a lot of teams surprised and only got eliminated barely or even made the k.o. stage. 24 seems a good size for a quality tournament. Also, the semis and quarters didn´t have too much of continental domination, if any: Three European teams, three Asian teams and two American teams. Some good stuff coming up in the semis, I reckon. I hope I can pull through the night for both games, not gonna be easy. :D

Canada's midfield is so bad in possession and they struggle to provide outlets for their less than talented fullbacks (at least in terms of going forward). This leads to little to no link up play with the attacking 3. Poor stuff and Japan would've played this team off the park.

Oh, and if you like arguing about that kind of thing, people -Foxsports Footbal on twitter (based in Australia) for one - are murmuring about Japan being offside during their goal. Most Australian online fans are just talking about how proud they are of the team.

Not really into arguing, but Foxsports Football don´t get the offside rule if they think like that. There are clearly more than two Australian players behind the ball and closer to goal than Iwaguchi, who converts at the end. It looks like that in real-time, and if you watch the FIFA videos, the slowmotion clearly shows it. Before that, there is nothing remotely close to offside. Sports media, I guess, are bound to create controversy.

And narratives. Good gods, I hate pundits and announcers trying to give a game that can swing around ANY minute a narrative. It´s one of the most annoying things coming from football announcers.

Australia was one of the positive surprise for me this tournament. I know they have a pretty good domestic league and I knew they participated in a few tournaments in the past, making the k.o.stages from time to time, but they partially looked like a team that could be going all the way against strong opposition, and would they´ve been stronger with their counter attacking they could have beaten the World Champion´s. Their fans have every right to be proud of them.

It might sound odd, but after watching my first complete Canada game, I´d reckon the same goes for them. They were just really really limited on offense. Sure, they created one or two good chances and put pressure on England in the beginning and at the end of the first half, but aside from that all they seemingly were capable of was throwing themselves into the match with all they had. Two defensive errors (Sesselman doing her best Steve Gerrard impression, the marking on the second) outnumbered one gk error on the English team in that game, both team showed that their strengths in this tournament were defending against the ball. England looked better on the breaks, Taylor´s goal was a very particular example, she was very quick to capitalize, showed great dribbling skills and finished it off with a great shot. I think Japan v England is a combination for a good game, Japan playing posession football and England working very well against the ball.

Anyway, since our announcers are all about narratives, they are probably creaming themselves because of the final four:

USA and Germany in the semis will mean one of them makes the final. If the - probably heavy favoured - Japanese advance, we will have a "grudge match" either way: Germany got eliminated early in their home World Cup, losing out on their spot in the Olympics in the process at the feet of the Japanese, while the US took the lead twice in the final only to loose to Japan on PKs. England v USA and England v Germany ALWAYS works as a rivalry thing. So, yeah, dream finals for announcers and pundits. I´m with the Germans, but I think every possible combination will lead to a really good final match. Now I only need a sleep pattern that keeps me awake. ;)

Night and Day on the penalty kicks taken.  US converts on a PK mere moments after the German PK is pushed well wide.

The Soccer Goddesses are every bit as cruel as the Soccer Gods.

Game over, man... Game over.

Too bad the PK for the Yahnkee Doodles was on a foul outside the box but they crafted the better chances from what I've seen. And it's never good to miss a PK in an elimination game.

Game over, man... Game over.

Too bad the PK for the Yahnkee Doodles was on a foul outside the box but they crafted the better chances from what I've seen. And it's never good to miss a PK in an elimination game.

I figure the official was probably looking to award one the other way since they sometimes seem to do that so as not to be criticized for "deciding the game" [?].

I'm definitely used to seeing players get away with worse in/on the edge of the box, even in my limited soccer viewing.