DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

Tentative opening game for sure. China came in to play 10 men behind the ball all game, Canada didn't do that much to break it down but get there in the end. But that always seems to be the way for Canadian national teams at, well, pretty much everything. We need that one game to loosen up.

Tentative opening game for sure. China came in to play 10 men behind the ball all game, Canada didn't do that much to break it down but get there in the end. But that always seems to be the way for Canadian national teams at, well, pretty much everything. We need that one game to loosen up.

Sexist and/or racist.

• Like 2

I came away from today's Group A games.

Canada should win the group but they could be their own stumbling block with nerves and emotion.

China plays strong defense.

Netherlands are nothing special and if it were not for one perfectly placed goal would only have a single point.

New Zealand is also nothing special. They possessed the ball in the second half but could not do much with it. They are one strong offensive player from being able to make the elimination round.

I am still trying to learn the game so please correct me if any of this is completely wrong.

Very likely to miss out on a lot of games, including the Ger(wo)man campaign opener tonight against Ivory Coast. Checking out highlights, however. Too bad, I was actually psyched to watch. Results look to be good for the tournament. China probably were not easy as first opponents. Too bad it was due to a PK that was somewhat debatable. Yeah, the arm was there, but I kind of doubt it would have been as clear of a pk if it was the same thing the other way around. China´s double post free kick was crazy aswell.

The Dutch goal looked quite fine in the highlights, good strike. Netherlands were lucky the Kiwis didn´t get a penalty for a clumsy challenge from one of Oranjes defenders in the second half.

What a wild coincidence that this Hope Solo stuff came out today!

I read the whole thing and while she's clearly mental, the youngster called her a c*** face while she was drunk. Not a smart thing to do to any woman, especially a drunk super athlete.

This game reminds me of that time the German men beat Saudi Arabia 8-0 and were like "yeah, sorry".

German women are not too bad either. No surprises there.

On the Dutch/New Zealand game, that New Zealand team is rough for a soccer team. They are going to be no fun to play against. Insert rugby joke here.

• Like 1

Able to switch on the game for a few minutes, and it says 5-0 and 21 to 1 shots for the Frauenschaft. Really good game by the Germans, it seems, although the 7 minutes + 4 minutes of injury time didn´t look like a 5-0 game. Kind of understandable though, with a long tournament in front of you, you won´t go all out.

EDIT: Happy to have called the physicality of the Ivorianitas´ playing style right at least...

Other than sadism was there really a need for stoppage time to be added? It's 10-0, I don't think goal difference is going to factor into who moves on/wins the group, just blow the whistle. And yes the ref did show mercy by not calling the blatant penalty.

Having missed 80 percent of the goals and only seen a total of 25 minutes of the match, I had to watch the highlights to see all the goals. The result - as big as it is - accounts for more of an easy start if anything. The ladies didn´t really seem to be pushed to their limits. Vs. Norway is going to be a lot different. They won´t give up goals anywhere nearly as easy as the Ivory Coast´s squad did.

At least one thing remains consistant: German announcing is awful for both, ladies´ footie aswell as gentlemen´s footie.

Man, did Norway and Germany ever get a sweetheart draw, with Ivory Coast and Thailand. Jobber squash matches for everybody!

If Hope Solo jumps into the stands tonight to attack a fan, it might be me. Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!!!!

• Like 1

Only game I caught in full this weekend was Germany's 10-0 destruction of Ivory Coast. But today it's got my full attention and Sweden-Nigeria was AWESOME fun! So entertaining and great drama! Looking forward to USA-Australia but especially looking forward to Spain vs Costa Rica tomorrow! I also recommend checking out this short 13 minute piece on Spain's captain, Vero Boquete. http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/12969690/vero