DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

DVDVR Official Women's World Cup ROAD REPORT!!!!!!!

Damn, that was two awesome games in Winnipeg today. When Sweden went up 2-0 at halftime, most of the stadium thought a blowout was coming. Then oh shit, Nigeria comes back with two quick goals, and shit was on. Only downside to this game was that the final goal meant that goals outnumbered my beers consumed 6-5.

Game 2: Aussies dominated that first half, and were very unfortunate to be tied at halftime. Solo robbed them of two goals, and the American goal was a total fluke. Second half, the Americans were clearly better, and finished the game off. Not sure what call Raziel is complaining about, there didn't seem to be anything too bad that went against the Americans.

1) Hope Solo was clearly the POG (player of the game) for the USA.

2) Rapinoe played damned good too. First goal was mudbutt, but her second was very nice.

3) Abby Wambach needs to focus more on playing the game, and less on complaining to the ref and her teammates. Not her best game by a longshot.

4) #19 for Australia (we didn't have a program, so I don't remember her name) was great. All over the field, making nice passes.

non-game feedback:

1) there's some PRETTY ladies on the Swedish team. They walked right behind where we were standing twice during game #2.

2) merchandise stands left a lot to be desired. There was 4 stands in the stadium, 3 of them were strictly Canada/FIFA merch. The one store that carried other countries gear had a line from one end zone to were the television camera at midfield was shooting the game during Sweden/Nigeria. That lineup got longer between games, so I did not get to buy an Aussie shirt or flag (Team Canada jersey was a great fallback though).

3) TONS TONS TONS of Americans at the game today, and almost all of them were awesome. They couldn't figure out why all the Canadians were cheering for Australia though. (Hint: The Olympic semifinal you and the ref stole from us in 2012 might be why).

4) Not sure if it made it to the television broadcast, but most of the Canadians in the stands were counting to 6 whenever Solo had the ball in her hands.

I am PUMPED for Friday's games. Here's hoping they come close to matching the two games we got to see today.

• Like 2

2) merchandise stands left a lot to be desired. There was 4 stands in the stadium, 3 of them were strictly Canada/FIFA merch. The one store that carried other countries gear had a line from one end zone to were the television camera at midfield was shooting the game during Sweden/Nigeria. That lineup got longer between games, so I did not get to buy an Aussie shirt or flag (Team Canada jersey was a great fallback though).

Not sure how this works in regards to World Class sporting events but I kow here in the states.  Some of the best merch is the "bootleg" merch that is sold around the periphery of the stadiums and such.

1) there's some PRETTY ladies on the Swedish team. They walked right behind where we were standing twice during game #2.

Filed under least surprising news from the world cup. :)

To stereotype, the sweden/australia match is likely to full of very attractive blonde athletes.

Missed out on all matches. A little sad about team Sweden dropping the points, might already mean elimination from the tournament with the opposition in that group.

I´m always surprised about the Swedish athletes being considered more beautiful than the rest. Not saying they are ugly by any means, but they never struck me as particularly more beautiful than others. Some beautiful ladies, some not my type, like in almost every other team.
I guess it´s a preference thing.

France, Brazil and England starting their tournament today. It will be interesting to watch, i reckon. As said, I expect a good campaign from the French. Brazil, according to all the pundits and talk before the tournament, is still majorly Marta + 10 others and I have no idea how good the English are this year. Also interesting to see Spain in their first World Cup.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a really good day for this tournament! Sweden-Nigeria was so entertaining, USA-Australia and Japan-Switzerland were all entertaining and engrossing as well. And today, I'm all about Spain-Costa Rica. I doubt Spain will do well in this tournament but the bigger story for them is just being in this tournament. Can't wait for that and also looking forward to England-France and Brazil-South Korea today as well.

Not sure how this works in regards to World Class sporting events but I kow here in the states.  Some of the best merch is the "bootleg" merch that is sold around the periphery of the stadiums and such.

FIFA had the area surrounding the stadium on lockdown, pretty much. The only things going on outside the stadium were FIFA-approved, which was too bad, because a post-game smokie dog would have been great for the walk to the bus.

There's three more sessions here in Winnipeg, hopefully I can make it into the good merch store (which during CFL season is a bar) and buy some non-Canadian stuff.

I know and I´m sad about it. Spain vs Costa Rica is already way more fun, with two really fine goals. Lasada for Spain with a lightning quick turn and a neat shot in the bottom left corner, Rodriguez with a booming run on the wing and a great pass back to another Rodriguez, who just had to tap it in. Costa Rica seems very shaky on every set piece, however.

• Like 1

Spain vs Costa Rica was fun. The Spanish attack should have done better with that boatload of chances, though. Costa Rica ran like hell and looked like they could maybe getting one more in the first half, but the longer the game went, the more they seemed to be losing steam. I think they were quite happy taking the point.

Shout out to the Costa-Rican goalkeeper Diaz, she was great tonight. Awesome positioning especially.

• Like 1

I agree with you ReiseReise on every point. Spain created so many chances that they didn't finish. I thought Costa Rica were the better side in the 1st half, Spain the better side in the 2nd. That one run by Vero was fantastic and then the pass to Bermudez and.. shoot wide. Great runs with disappointing ends may be a thing this tournament ie Bachmann yesterday in Japan vs Switzerland. In any event, that was a fun match! VIVA ESPANA!

Korea surely gave away two easy goals and had a few shocking passes. Otherwise, they looked really solid defensively and when they started attacking, they could actually create one or the other chance. Brazil looked firmly in control for the most part and it´s really hard to tell how good they really were. Other than their effiency, nothing really looked like tourney-winner material in the first half. As said before, considering Korea Rep didn´t do much attacking-wise, Brazil looked shaky at the back.

I have a feeling Korea are a team tough to break down, but struggling with possession themselves: They created all their good chances with high pressure defending against the ball.

Mexico got fucked on that goal that got taken away from them in stoppage time.

Yeah, and Colombia got fucked on the two goals taken away from them during regular time. 

Just got home to see Germany vs Norway finish with a 1-1 draw. Saw the Norwegian free kick equalizer, which was a sweet strike. German announcers and pundits did their best to put over how great our first half was, just to add that the team failed to do anything close to that in the second half. This, in combination with the awfulness of our announcers and pundits, leads me to the assumption that the draw is a just result and that Norway played as good as the German ladies ;).

Whoever the coach who was bitching about play being stopped is a moron. Lightning is the one thing that everyone knows = play stops because it's fucking lightning.