DVDVR Message Board

Payback III

Dolfan in NYC

That'd be an ok finish if they haven't spent the last few weeks having Rusev speak more and more English. And also repeatedly talking about how he was going to make Cena say "I Quit"

Re what Vic is saying, dude, those are "statistics" that only geeks (and I use that in the most lovingly way possible, speaking as a geek) care about. The match with Cena last night was the "last" encounter in that series. If that is the case, then Rusev may not have been buried (because I think that is too harsh to describe this), but his legs have been cut out from underneath him. So what you have is Rusev losing on the biggest stage in all of WWE, getting pinned by a quick AA, which didn't even put an injured Sami Zayn away, not interacting with Cena until the go home show for Extreme Rules, losing again to Cena at Extreme Rules where the rules went out the window when Cena won, barely having any interaction with Cena again until the go home show for Payback, and then at Payback he's screaming a bunch of gibberish and Lana throws in the towel.

Most of what I described above is the minutiae that only geeks care about, but the announcing, wrestlers and any additional pieces of media do not convey. Lana throwing in the towel in the last encounter between Cena and Rusev shifts the focus from Cena to Lana. Rusev can scream to the heavens that he had Cena beat, but then he'll just sound like a whiner and the ultimate proof of beating Cena in any capacity is wearing the title you took from him. What matters in the end is who won and who lost. In Rusev's case, Rusev lost again. He would need to go on another year long tear and then challenge and beat Cena to make up for this. This isn't like Austin and Bret Hart where Austin got the rub from Bret even though he lost to Bret.

Vic's other point is just as valid. Rusev's role could be that of gatekeeper and we're just expecting too much of him and he wasn't going to be anything bigger than the dude who lost to Cena. I think that "prize" should have gone to another wrestler, instead of Cena, but it's done and over with now.

• Like 1

Geez, I don't know how anyone could make the New Day switcheroo thing into a racial thing. Have you watched wrestling before?? When Demolition did it, and Ax got pinned when he wasn't in the match, was it because all white dudes in facepaint and s&m gear look the same?? To quote Gorilla..."WILL YOU STOP???"

• Like 2

If they had done the finish correctly, which is Rusev being choked to death and Lana out of genuine love saving him, it would make Rusev a great heel when he attacks her tonight. 

Instead Cena wrapped it around his nose (which I am sure would hurt), but it does not justify Lana pulling an Arnold Skaland. Really I think they should have ended it when Rusev got caught in the pyro. Though the effect was ruined when Rusev had no burns. 

I was against Cena feuding with Rusev from the start since there was no where to go win or lose, but Cena has been nothing but giving. 

The full translation of Rusev in the STF from Wreddit:

"Ahhh no...ahhh I give up! Next time we will crush you! I give up! Stop! I told you! I'll crush you Cena! Damn your old mother, Cena! I will crush you! That's enough, I told you!"
  • Like 1

Geez, I don't know how anyone could make the New Day switcheroo thing into a racial thing. Have you watched wrestling before?? When Demolition did it, and Ax got pinned when he wasn't in the match, was it because all white dudes in facepaint and s&m gear look the same?? To quote Gorilla..."WILL YOU STOP???"

I know I was offended when The Fabulous Ones did it in AWA. But mostly because they didn't really look alike and had different hair.

• Like 2

I'm hoping someone will ask them about the switch and then deny it with one of them saying "we don't all look the same.". Make the obvious joke themselves.

But it wouldn't work with Saxton doing the interview.

Oh I forgot to bring this up. Dylan had a great point/idea

Dylan Hales @DylanWaco  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Are they going to do a bit where Naomi is upset that her husbands injury isn't getting as much coverage on WWE tv?

I didn't see Payback yet.

But Lana's the next big thing. The crowds are already super into her. She's ridiculously talented, on top of being possibly the most attractive woman in wrestling history (as subjective as that is). She's a trained actress, singer and dancer. She managed to get EVIL RUSSIAN over to the point where people are clamoring for the act to not break up. Out of anyone they have now, she has the best shot to break out into the mainstream. They damn well better give her some sort of solo run and hope it ends up with her on a magazine cover/non-WWE movie role/comedy show appearance/etc. It's such a waste if they don't.

Rusev doesn't really have anywhere to go even if he beats Cena. The World Title picture's tied up until SummerSlam (with Ambrose now in that mix), and probably after that once Brock returns. Rusev's slot reminds me a lot of where Ryback is after his initial world beater push ended.

Ryback's in a position to have entertaining feuds not in the main event. But they can always put him into the World Title mix without a lot of help -- one meathook of Rollins or a showdown with Lesnar gets him there. Rusev in that role works fine.

Also: They can always put the act back together.

• Like 1

I'm hoping someone will ask them about the switch and then deny it with one of them saying "we don't all look the same.". Make the obvious joke themselves.

On the contrary - it'd be even funnier.

• Like 1

Actually I think it works better with Saxton doing the interview. Because then New Day come off even more delusional. They get asked about their cheating ways and then go off on Saxton about how he's not thinking positive and just thinking negative about how all the New Day look the same.

EDIT: Just saw Sweetser's post.....so I'll just leave an open comment about great minds thinking alike

Yeah, Lana's going to hit the AJ Lee Memorial Glass Ceiling sooner than later.

What does this even mean? She's not going to be able to main event WrestleMania?
There's a standard career trajectory for the women, and anyone who doesn't fit into that gets squeezed into it anyway.

Lana could possibly be a mainstream star. Of course the problem there is that pretty much as soon as that happens she will leave the WWE.

And thanks to Rock and Stacy Keibler, WWE may do everything in its power to make sure that doesn't happen.

Lana could possibly be a mainstream star. Of course the problem there is that pretty much as soon as that happens she will leave the WWE.

And thanks to Rock and Stacy Keibler, WWE may do everything in its power to make sure that doesn't happen.

No they are stupid and going to turn her into from fake Russian into All American Girl and it'll be her ticket out of WWE and they'll be left wondering "How did this happen?" all because they had to ruin their best act.

I hope she has a great career in Hollywood.

I know this is dumb fantasy booking but my ideal booking for Rusev/Lana tonight:

Rusev berates Lana in the ring. Then we get the GLUURRRTTTTTTTT,with the reformed Wyatts now in the ring. Bray then takes Lana and turns her into some creepshow child bride as Rusev realizes he was awful to the love of his life and now does whatever he can to get her back.

A boy can dream.

• Like 3