DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah I think he was trying to be fast on that one and acknowledge a film he held in higher regard that was similar. You know what? That's pretty wack, fuck that guy. Hope his production company puts out something with substance, though.

And thank you to Fluff. It's late, it's Friday (now Saturday), I'm drunk

Shit, I would've had more respect for him if he had said he actually ripped off The First Power and claimed he didn't know what the fuck The Hidden was. Even though that clearly would've been a lie, too, as I believe it was a parasite that transmitted Jason from vessel to vessel. Hell, whether or not it was directly in his hands, they even ripped off the theme from The Hidden. The other thing is it's laughable to suggest he wanted to recreate the tension from The Thing with Jason because you're still doing a Jason movie where viewers are just watching Jason's "can't be killed or destroyed" cheat code jump from this ham and egger to that one. The Thing got beaten several times and the paranoia arose from not knowing how many team members were infected. Fairly different concepts and there's no subtle paranoia to be had in guessing which yokel Jason is jumping back and forth between.

• Like 1

Last month or so I have been rewatching the Phantasm series in an attempt to refresh my memory and get ready for Phantasm Ravager.

Watched Ravager last night.

Lots of timeline jumping, CGI looked pretty good, some old faces came back, overall I enjoyed the film. 

I went in thinking they were wrapping up the franchise, but with the way it ended there's totally opening for more down the road.

If they have enough footage of Angus Scrimm they could keep putting them out, cause there's no way to replace him as The Tall Man.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Joss Whedon has said his next movie will be a World War II horror movie.

The quote was "it is the darkest thing I've ever written"

So 3 or 4 of the characters you like will die on screen instead of 1 or 2?

On 10/22/2016 at 8:17 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

Shit, I would've had more respect for him if he had said he actually ripped off The First Power and claimed he didn't know what the fuck The Hidden was. Even though that clearly would've been a lie, too, as I believe it was a parasite that transmitted Jason from vessel to vessel. Hell, whether or not it was directly in his hands, they even ripped off the theme from The Hidden.

Possession / Body Snatching is such a steady horror trope that you really can't say what ripped off what. 

Jason Goes To Hell arguably lifts from The Hidden and even Xtro with the whole disturbing impregnation / rebirth dealie that Erin Grey obviously did not see in the script when she signed up do to the movie.

Jason Goes To Hell will never be as awesome as The Hidden because it does not feature Claudia Christian as a homicidal stripper.

• Like 3

The problem with this planned sequel to Blair Witch: Um, who the hell would be dumb enough to go into those woods after those TWO films?

At least in Blair Witch they could feasibly claim they thought they had strength in numbers and new technology to keep them safe.

But (SPOILERS) it turns out, well, yeah, that stuff doesn’t save you either. You’re doomed the moment you go in, essentially. 

Even by horror movie standards, anyone going into those woods is going to be an idiot. To the point they’d become rather unsympathetic.   

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:06 AM, J.T. said:

Possession / Body Snatching is such a steady horror trope that you really can't say what ripped off what. 

Jason Goes To Hell arguably lifts from The Hidden and even Xtro with the whole disturbing impregnation / rebirth dealie that Erin Grey obviously did not see in the script when she signed up do to the movie.

Jason Goes To Hell will never be as awesome as The Hidden because it does not feature Claudia Christian as a homicidal stripper.

I believe the official police terminology is "zoned out stripper." However the line of the movie still goes to Danny Trejo "Yo, hippy, what kind of dude are you?"

• Like 2

On 26/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, J.T. said:

If you aren't watching Channel Zero on Syfy, SHAME ON YOU~!

It is only three episodes in, so binge watch now before you get too far behind!

I guess we Canadians are a week behind (or some days? airs Tuesdays here) but Episode 2 was great and had a great couple spots to get me pumped for Episode 3.

• Like 1

Since it was discussed last page, saw the new Ouija tonight and it was pretty good. Didn't have the scripting depth of Oculus but knew how to pace out the plot and up the tension and creepiness rather than constant jump scares. 

Young Karen Gillan from Oculus teams with Flanaghan again to play young Lin Shaye. I was super glad I forgot most of the first one because while it was fine enough, a lot of the endgame here would have been spoiled by the memory and it's way more fun if you don't ealize where it's going.

They do the best Blumhouse Special ending yet, probably. Cast is mostly just average but the under 18 crowd kills it and everyone carries their weight and/or has their weaknesses disguised. It's not as good as Oculus but it's a quality 90 minutes or so of horror film.

Knocked out Rob Zombie's latest, 31, last night. There's nothing real original here. Your pretty standard "abduct and hunt humans for fun" plot, done pretty paint by numbers.

But lordy the atmosphere is fantastic, provided you don't hate Rob's "white trash horror" aesthetic making a comeback. It's better than House of 1,000 Corpses, still has no business lacing the shoes of The Devil's Rejects. 

3 hours ago, Roman said:

I finally watched The Canal. That was a surprisingly fun movie. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

The Canal is pretty fucking awesome.  I'd considered making that my Halloween Havoc pick, but figured that someone else would do it.

I shoulda went with my instincts.

• Like 1

An American Werewolf in London is officially getting a remake with The Walking Dead‘s David Albert and Robert Kirkman producing through their Skybound Entertainment for Universal Pictures.

The remake of filmmaker John Landis’ classic 1981 comedic horror film will be written by his son Max Landis, who also is attached to direct. The news comes after the elder Landis and filmmaker Anthony Waller (An American Werewolf in Paris) sealed a deal with the studio on the rights. The younger Landis’ deal is being negotiated. Skybound has a first-look production deal with Universal.

:(

Why?

The news that production staff from TWD and the elder and younger Landis will be involved is encouraging, but why not come up with an original idea?  The angst of my generation to see modern reboots of their adolescent favorites is disheartening.

Even moreso that these movies continue to be marketable.

Fuck.  The election results are far too compelling to turn away from so we're going to stay tuned to the local news tonight at the Exercise Control Center here at work..

Hopefully shift will end in time for me to catch the 11PM EST replay of Channel Zero.