DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

So according to CM I have season tickets to the two worst teams in the east and possibly the NBA. I see the Nets having to reduce ticket prices if they go to shit because people will flee Barclays as if the place was filled with ebola. They haven't really built a fanbase and the novelty has worn off. Sixers are $10 a game, or less than a Brooklyn Cyclones season ticket so even though they are godawful it's still a bargain for NBA. Not to mention I get a free jersey and $50 concessions cash so it's an even better deal.

So according to CM I have season tickets to the two worst teams in the east and possibly the NBA. I see the Nets having to reduce ticket prices if they go to shit because people will flee Barclays as if the place was filled with ebola. They haven't really built a fanbase and the novelty has worn off. Sixers are $10 a game, or less than a Brooklyn Cyclones season ticket so even though they are godawful it's still a bargain for NBA. Not to mention I get a free jersey and $50 concessions cash so it's an even better deal.

I might be too low on them. I will go over it again before the regular season. Right now I'm trying to get a grip on what I undervalue and overvalue. I think I overvalue the short term impact of developing youth on a team's win loss record. So I might go too high on some younger teams. Nets might be closer to a fringe playoff team than I have them at the moment. Seems like I give all young teams a boost based on potential except the Sixers. Sixers don't deserve it though. Last year we had a nice run when we were winning some games and making really impressive second half comebacks. Based entirely on defense. Lost 3 of our 4 best defenders from that point. Moving Noel away from the rim. Going to be a long season defensively. Hopefully we get enough offensive improvements to make the games at least palatable.

I'm trying to get better at incorporating strength into judging a players defensive skills as well. When it comes to things like fighting through screens. I think I undervalue it. I'm not the only one either.

I don't get the hype around MKG as a player.  The list of effective wings that shoot has badly as he does is vanishingly small.

Speaking of NBA stupidity it sounds like the Suns are calling Markieff Morris' bluff and aren't looking to trade him.  He claims he won't show up for camp, so this is going to be fun.  I like Kieff a whole lot, but he is not a guy that should be throwing around trade demands, especially with a forthcoming felony trial.

I don't get the hype around MKG as a player.  The list of effective wings that shoot has badly as he does is vanishingly small.

Speaking of NBA stupidity it sounds like the Suns are calling Markieff Morris' bluff and aren't looking to trade him.  He claims he won't show up for camp, so this is going to be fun.  I like Kieff a whole lot, but he is not a guy that should be throwing around trade demands, especially with a forthcoming felony trial.

How the hell do he and his brother not understand that they can't be on the same team after they allegedly beat the hell out of someone.  What responsible person would keep a couple of co-defendants on the same team?  One of them had to go at the very minimum.  There isn't a team in the league that would have kept them together.

• Like 1

He is not far off from what Draymond Green gives a team defensively. Pretty much the same size. Can guard 2s, 3s and 4s. Plus he is 4 years younger than Green. They should be developing his 3 point shot though. I think that is on the team. His form looks better overall but not a lot of improvement in his scoring/percentages. Non at all really.

• Like 1

The full copy of the lawsuit against Rose is on the Tribune website.  I'm as skeptical as I was last night.  Odd and seemingly irrelevant details aside, there are more than a few factually inaccurate things that stood out.

-She mentions thinking her and Rose were exclusive during a certain timeframe.  Rose's child was born during that time and his relationship with the mother was public knowledge.

- She mentions flying to Chicago after a game he played in May '13.  Only games in May '13 were the series against the Nets and Heat. That was the NATE ROBINSON SHOW playoffs for those who don't remember.  Rose was getting destroyed by media for not even being on the bench during those series.

-There are also multiple date mix ups regarding the actual allegation.  Like, part of the story happens on the 26th and part on the 29th.  It's like 30 pages of detail, but look at the time jump from page 10 to 11. 

Very weird.

Chocolate Thunder coached in Winnipeg back in the day. I got to meet him at an event in town, and he was extremely nice to everyone there.

RIP Chocolate Thunder, SNL Weekend Update's Man of the Millennium, Daryl Dawkins.

Grantland's Darryl Dawkins article is pretty good. Made by this quote...

If that’s the lasting image, the lasting memory I have is the story Bob Ryan tells of the deciding game of the 1982 Eastern Conference finals, when, as the game wound down with the Celtics plainly losing to the Philadelphia 76ers, the crowd in the Boston Garden began chanting “Beat L.A.!” (They would face the Lakers in the Finals.) Ryan asked Dawkins what he thought when he heard that.

“Man,” Dawkins replied. “When I heard that, my dick got stiff.”

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I remember a few years back when the Sixers did a legends pannel for STH's featuring Dawkins, World B Free and AI at Xfinity. It was every bit as fun as you would imagine. RIP Chocolate Thunder.

Canada Basketball, why must you always let us down? Canada just lost to fucking Venezuela (who they beat by 20 in the preliminary round) to miss out on the easy path to the Olympics. Canada gets to go to a last chance qualifying tournament now, where only 3 of the 18 teams involved qualify.

And shit, North American basketball refs are almost as bad as North American soccer refs.

• Like 1

How did they call a foul on that bullshit? It was a god damn mess and they call a foul that gave the game to Venezuela on a platter. Canada played like shit but, man, that was lame.

Well, if nothing else, barring injury we should have Tristan Thompson and the young players should have another year of experience. So far, it's Canada, Puerto Rico, Angola, Tunisia, Senegal and New Zealand. Looks like it's 3 groups of 6 with the winner of each group/tournament qualifying.