DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

Okafor could turn in to a solid defender, but I don't like pulling a great rim defender away from the rim.

I'm expecting Kidd to help out MCW quite a bit next year.  It might look bad at some point, but I understood the trade at the time.  

Can someone explain to me the Jame/Cavs deal. He opts out but tells the team he will resign depending on what they do in the first week of FA. So my questions...

A) How can the Cavs go to any free agents if they don't know how much money James will count against there cap?

B) If your another team why aren't you filing a greivince about James and the Cavs already having a deal in place? Which would to me seam like tampering since I didn't think you could negotiate with free agents till what ever the first day of free agency was.

Exum is also an 18(?) year old rookie having played no college BB. . . .

That is basically why I mentioned it. It was a quick way to acknowledge that his place on it might not be fair considering his experience level. Plenty of players that turned into busts would have been a lot better off had they been getting 20 minutes a game early. Even if detrimental to the team at the time.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me the Jame/Cavs deal. He opts out but tells the team he will resign depending on what they do in the first week of FA. So my questions...

A) How can the Cavs go to any free agents if they don't know how much money James will count against there cap?

There is a cap hold based on his previous salary. Here is a page with more details on the different holds based on experience and previous deal and other CBA information. It is an FAQ so you can go to the top to find an exact question you want answered. Or just use the ctrl f search function. Spotrac.com has details on all teams current contracts including the holds. Here is the Cavs page. I've been reading up on the rule changes the last couple days. Since I had some things wrong based on what I thought the Cavs could do in this type of scenario.

I think Calpiari hasn't made the jump back to the NBA because, if he does, he'd get exposed once again. Kentucky's success is all predicated on recruiting (and God know what they do to get all those recruits). They run a pretty basic Dribble-drive motion offense. And if they have a great post player that year, they have a dump-off option when things break down/some dumb college team gets switched on in a bad advantage. They sorta have to keep it simple since everyone plays for about 30 games before they bolt to the NBA. But Duke gets a lot of one-year guys and Coach K's system runs some neat stuff. 

But Cal was beyond over his head as the Nets coach all those years ago. The salary cap is going to limit whatever Nike scam he pulls for players. And while Biggie is awesome (and maybe even add in the very good Eric Bledsoe), he's not good enough to bring a team to the playoffs by himself.

B) If your another team why aren't you filing a greivince about James and the Cavs already having a deal in place? Which would to me seam like tampering since I didn't think you could negotiate with free agents till what ever the first day of free agency was.

It's really less that the Cavs are tampering with Lebron and more that Lebron has them over the barrel. It's not like any other team really expects to woo Lebron, so the only team that really actively has a concern with Lebron opting out is the Cavs who have to fear Lebron deciding to pick a team to go to (no matter how slim the chances are.) Present Dan Gilbert wishes he could go back in time and change the luxury tax during the last CBA.

It is possible. The trickiest part would be Nick Young. They should be able to find a team to take on that salary in exchange for Randle. Sacre, Black, Brown and Clarkson are all on non-guaranteed deals.

I read its possible via sign-and-trade as well, but I don't think Portland would be interested. That one season of  Swaggy P blinded us!!! :)

Latest on Clippers - DeAndre Jordan...

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne 4m4 minutes ago

Clippers still "hopeful" that they'll keep DeAndre Jordan, but I'm told if he were to leave for Mavs, they'll try to S&T for Tyson Chandler

S&T would be very beneficial for Clips, but even that may not happen, since Bucks are hot and heavy for Tyson.  If DJ leaves for Dallas, and doesn't get Chandler in return, they are proper fucked this year, because they have almost no cap space to sign a decent big.

Well shit, Aminu has already signed with Portland. 4 years $30 million.  Horrible start to free agency.

thats a pretty fast agreement for a guy from another team that you technically couldn't have talked to more than 30 minutes ago.

Aminu's signing feels a lot like the opening round of the Power Grid board game. The market is completely new and every single player is trying to figure out what power plants they want at what price and also seeing what the competition wants. There's always one bid for a power plant in the opening round that is so far out of left field you have no idea how if it will be the worst winning bid (overpaying for a shitty asset) or the best winning bid (getting great value on a property) but, either way, all bidding for the rest of the game is more-or-less based on that. Setting the tempo for the auctions is definitely worth a risk.

That feels like what the very smart Blazers team is doing here, since the impending giant cap leap will throw everything and everybody off. What seems pretty ridiculous for a middling scorer might end up as one of the best deals now that everyone is negotiating off of that. Maybe GMs hold steady for a guy like Jae Crowder but probably not.