DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I will say: I do think it's wrong to say Farley was like Jack Black or Kevin James.

He was funny, for one thing.

No one is arguing who is funny and who isn't funny. We're talking about a guy who was living a miserable existence, despite commanding about $6 million a film, that definitely would not have made it another 18 months let alone 18 years. He was also making a career in Hollywood doing a schtick that is notoriously and easily replaceable no matter how funny you are.

I am one of the biggest Farley fanboys there is but even I admit, if he followed up Beverly Hills Ninja with one or two more stinkers along the same lines, he would basically be in the same boat as David Spade and Rob Schneider, doing straight to DVD dreck but maybe also having voiceover work in the wake of Shrek's success. He certainly wouldnt be cast as the star in anything again.

Oddly enough, I could see him succeeding though in a King of Queens style sitcom but set in Chicago. He had that extra likability that thrives in network sitcoms.

I am one of the biggest Farley fanboys there is but even I admit, if he followed up Beverly Hills Ninja with one or two more stinkers along the same lines, he would basically be in the same boat as David Spade and Rob Schneider, doing straight to DVD dreck but maybe also having voiceover work in the wake of Shrek's success. He certainly wouldnt be cast as the star in anything again.

And honestly, how deep in depression would Farley be if he was reduced to doing extended cameos in Sandler movies after tasting elite stardom? That would have been a recipe for hanging himself like Brooks in Shawshank Redemption.

Let's not dwell on Farley's death, whether or not he would have/should have lived.  Let's just tell funny Farley stories.

BOB ODENKIRK (From the book 'Live From New York): Chris Farley was like a child.  He was like an eight-year-old.  One time when he was fucking, rip-roaring drunk in Chicago, he was tossing furniture around his apartment, actually picking it up and and throwing it like ten feet.  It was scary, man.  Then all of a sudden, he turned to me and said, with complete innocence, "Do you think Belushi's in heaven?"  I didn't know what to say.

FRED WOLF (from the same book): Farley once stuck his ass out the window of the seventeenth floor at 30 Rock and took a shit.  Another time, in front of twenty or twenty-five people in a very crowded writer's room - mixed company, women, men - Farley came in naked.  He had his dick tucked between his legs and he was doing Jame Gumb from Silence of the Lambs.  He took a golf club and shoved it about three inches up his ass, then pulled the golf club out and started licking it.

JACK HANDEY (from the same book): I remember one time we went to Tom Davis's wedding at some resort in upstate New York.  The resort had a bowling alley.  In front of everyone, Farley would just throw his body out parallel to the lane and land from about a three-foot straight parallel drop to the bowling lane as a joke.  That's the kind of stuff he would do all the time.

• Like 2

And honestly, how deep in depression would Farley be if he was reduced to doing extended cameos in Sandler movies after tasting elite stardom? That would have been a recipe for hanging himself like Brooks in Shawshank Redemption.

Death~! or cameos in Adam Sandler movies.

And death truly seems like the more appealing option.

Let's not dwell on Farley's death, whether or not he would have/should have lived.  Let's just tell funny Farley stories.

This doesn't hold a candle to yours, but from Rob Lowe's autobiography, I think it was when Tommy Boy was being shot, Rob was having dinner with Chris and David Spade.  Chris was having a steak, and they had those individually wrapped pats of butter on the table, and every piece of steak Chris ate, he would put a pat of butter on it before it went into his mouth.  Rob is watching aghast.  So like on around the sixth or seventh one, Chris is unwrapping another pat of butter to put on the steak, and Rob can't take it any more and goes "Chris!  For the love of God!"  Chris is like "What?  It needs a hat!"

• Like 1

Watched David Wain's THEY CAME TOGETHER last night. More clever than funny, but a not unenjoyable watch overall.

I've watched that movie three times now.  For the most part, it really is a terrible movie, but yet there are moments that are so insanely funny, I forgive the bad parts.  You can pretty much tell what was in the script and what was ad-libbed.

BTW, if you have the DVD, the Christmas carol deleted scenes are far and away the funniest things about it.

Then he'd have been a kind of skinny crappy actor. Losing weight didn't give Jonah Hill magic acting skills.

Anyway, I'm watching ESCAPE PLAN, and I'm only 30 minutes in, but so far it's a shockingly decent action flick. And Jim Caviezel is surprisingly OK.

Then he'd have been a kind of skinny crappy actor. Losing weight didn't give Jonah Hill magic acting skills.

Anyway, I'm watching ESCAPE PLAN, and I'm only 30 minutes in, but so far it's a shockingly decent action flick. And Jim Caviezel is surprisingly OK.

Yeah, a lot of people slept on Escape Plan.  I think the whole dread / preoccupation with Ahnold and Sly teaming up distracted from how smart the movie is.

50 Cent, Jim Cavaziel, and Sam Neill turn in surprisingly sold performances for movie that was supposed to be a action popcorn muncher.

Dr. Kyrie's line about doctors being men prescribing medicines of which they know little to cure diseases of which they know less to men of whom they know nothing at all deserved to be a better movie.

Watched David Wain's THEY CAME TOGETHER last night. More clever than funny, but a not unenjoyable watch overall.

That cameo near the end + what happens to the character had me howling.

Definitely.

I love The Devil's Rejects.  The protagonists are monsters, it never shies away from that fact, but it puts you in a position where you feel for the anyway, at least a bit, because the torture scene is so damn raw and brutal.

Great fucking flick.

My wife and I have a years-long going debate about this and House of 1000 Corpses. She prefers Corpses to this film and for the life of me I don't understand why.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat (which I really really enjoyed)

I don't know which I am more frustrated by

People saying it wasn't a success because it "only" made $100 million domestically (it made $269 worldwide) or the fucking name change for the DVD release because people are stupid or something.

Also - are there people who are still all "I won't see a Tom Cruise movie because he is bat shit insane"?

Watched Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat (which I really really enjoyed)

I don't know which I am more frustrated by

People saying it wasn't a success because it "only" made $100 million domestically (it made $269 worldwide) or the fucking name change for the DVD release because people are stupid or something.

Also - are there people who are still all "I won't see a Tom Cruise movie because he is bat shit insane"?

My daughter loves this movie and I also think it is pretty great.  Have no idea why they did not keep All You Need Is Kill as the title.  Americans are dumb.

Does no-one think Farley could've pulled a Jonah Hill and lost the weight?

I dunno.  Was reading some of the quotes on his IMDB page and he talks about going into a rehab facility to lose weight and quitting after a couple days and calling up Tom Arnold who picked him up to go get dessert.  His family were all really big, too.  I remember a story about how his dad didn't like to go out in public because people would stare.

There sure are!  I posted the new Mission Impossible trailer on my Facebook and had an ongoing argument with a friend about whether or not Cruise is awesome.  And when I listed off all the good to great films he's been in the last 15 years, she said "I would have liked all of them better if he wasn't in them" which is insanity to me.

And when I listed off all the good to great films he's been in the last 15 years, she said "I would have liked all of them better if he wasn't in them" which is insanity to me.

Lunacy.  Name another actor who would be willing to do that airplane stunt himself?

*criickets chirp*

Tom Cruise would rather cling on to the edge of airplane mid-air than sit down and think critically about the fact that he is a key member of a highly dangerous cult.

Is that really that impressive?

Man, Farley sounds like the most ID driven person ever. Just spent his life doing drugs, eating and indulging in one wacky antic after another.

Obviously his whole story is very sad, but damn,if he didn't pack a lot of living into those 33 years.

Tom Cruise would rather cling on to the edge of airplane mid-air than sit down and think critically about the fact that he is a key member of a highly dangerous cult.

Is that really that impressive?

Could you do that stunt yourself?