DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

The bigger dick move by Jimmy was being oblivious as to how out of it his girlfriend was and oh I don't know, offering to drive her through the dessert instead of playing Herb Tarlick.

i really kind of wanted to punch him there especially given that knowing how this show goes the thing he was celebrating isn't going to happen anyway. 

On 6/14/2017 at 7:36 AM, Mr Harms said:

Call me a softy but I hated seeing the old lady get all sad. I'm all for Jimmy getting his money and getting one over the bad guys, but don't hurt the little old lady in the process you dick!

Pretty sure most of us would call you being human.  You're allowed to have emotions for people.  And I hate to break it you, but Jimmy was absolutely the bad guy in this episode.  He went to extreme measures to completely ruin an old lady's life in the hopes that he would get paid.  In retrospect, I bet he spent the entire $700 he made in the last episode to buy all the shoes that might fit her.  The beauty of Hamlin's speech when Jimmy wanted his money was that as much of a total asshole he was, nothing he said was wrong.

Chuck's death was more dramatically satisfying, cathartic, and horrifying all at once than any death on Game of Thrones. For a guy that, even in the midst of his mental illness, was practically shark-like in his logical drive to simply continue dominating his field to go from "I'll destroy you all!" to completely broken in, what was it, 36 hours maybe?  It's kind of terrifying.

It was so effective, too, that there was no soundtrack. There was sooo much music around him all espisode, from emphasizing the record player, to the huge crescendo during his breakdown (that was so big I honestly thought he was going to have a stroke and die during that part). But then, once it was done and he was so far gone, there was really no point. No need to underscore it like that. It was a lonely crazy man in his ramshackle compound. Essentially Walter White in New Hampshire if the end of Granite State hadn't happened.

It's kind of crazy, though, that in the final two episodes of the season, all we saw of Mike Ermentraut was him sitting in an office signing a contract to be a security consultant.

• Like 2

what a sad end for Chuck that, when he no longer has anyone or anything to lorde over, that's what he ends as. I wonder if Saul will realise what he set in motion with Chuck's insurance fees going up is what ultimately led him to (assumed) suicide.

Chuck's ego did him in as much as anything else did.  Even after it became plain as day his illness was of the mental variety, he had to be the master of all, showing everyone that he could conquer his illness in record time.  Him showing off was also a con on Hamlin and Jimmy, in part, but it was more just a sad, ego-driven man desperate to be greater than everyone and everything.  

This is such a great show.  Characters like Chuck and Hamlin would be one note, mustache-twirling baddies if this was a broadcast network show.  Here, you still feel bad for Chuck after everything and I also felt gutted at Hamlin's genuine hurt during and after the boardroom scene.  Damn.

• Like 1

Agreed, it's just annoying how quickly it comes and goes. It's not as good as - but I enjoy it as much as - Breaking Bad if that makes sense? Has any other spinoff from a series been as good as Better Call Saul? Nothing's springing to mind

• Like 1

Chucks "just accept who you are Jimmy" speech was the foreshadowing of his death...

When he wakes up that night and you could see him think "fuck jotting this down, I'm going to  roll with it", Chuck was accepting his fate, That was quite harrowing to watch.

Crazy thing about Chuck's suicide attempt, successful or not, is that no one is going to know it was intentional. His gas lantern sitting on top of newspaper was even brought up earlier in the season. He's so ego driven, he can't even allow anyone to think that he was weak enough to end his life.

That descent into madness was really something to see. He didn't have anyone left to bully or dominate, and he just literally lost his mind.  Incredibly powerful scene.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Rewatched this and, as crazy as it sounds, I think Hamlin is my favorite thing about the show. That dude is just PERFECT and rides the line between arrogant asshole boss and genuinely impressive business partner brilliantly.

It's a testament to the writing of the show.  Lesser writers would make him a one-note villain.  Instead, thee are many times you can understand exactly where he's coming from.

• 2 months later...

Great episode!  Random quick thoughts:

I like the denial/slow burn (pardon the pun) we're obviously going to see from Jimmy. 

I love Gene in the future terrified his cover is going to be blown. 

Best part of the episode was the Mike sequence.

The cartel stuff was the most dull, but thankfully short, part of the episode.  Absolutely beautiful shot of Nacho on the bridge, though.

The layoff was too long and I'm having a hard time remembering plot points from last season, like why Jimmy is suspended from practicing law.  Was it the Mesa Verde con?  Screwing over the old ladies?  Something else?

He was suspended for the Mesa Verde stuff. HHM was trying to land the deal and prevent Kim from doing so. Jimmy breaks in (I think) to Chuck's home and changes the address for the bank on all of Chuck's documents. When Mesa Verde sees the error, they decide that Chuck and HHM and capable of doing their due diligence, which could set back the timeline on their new bank, and they go with Kim instead.

Later on, Jimmy and Chuck have a fight at Chuck's house over this stuff and Chuck secretly records Jimmy admitting to screwing over Chuck to help out Kim.

That all leads to the bar hearing, Jimmy having the cellphone on him during hearing, and the showing the phone in his pocket to reveal that Chuck is out of his fucking mind with regards to his illness. Jimmy isn't disbarred, but he is temporarily suspended.

• Like 1

I loved the episode, especially the stuff with Mike. I got a good laugh out of Mike pointing out the numerous potential liabilities at Madrigal. I'm a little puzzled by the ending though...

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but did Jimmy suddenly have the change of heart because he knew he drove his brother to kill himself? So Chuck dying by accidental fire is heart breaking, but getting HHM to part ways with Chuck, which then lead to Chuck killing himself makes it better? I'm not sure I follow that.

Or is it more that Hamlin feels responsible and Jimmy suddenly feels off the hook?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I loved the episode, especially the stuff with Mike. I got a good laugh out of Mike pointing out the numerous potential liabilities at Madrigal. I'm a little puzzled by the ending though...

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but did Jimmy suddenly have the change of heart because he knew he drove his brother to kill himself? So Chuck dying by accidental fire is heart breaking, but getting HHM to part ways with Chuck, which then lead to Chuck killing himself makes it better? I'm not sure I follow that.

Or is it more that Hamlin feels responsible and Jimmy suddenly feels off the hook?

Two dudes in the break room debating who would win between Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali was my life at work for 3 weeks last year prior to Mayweather-McGregor. That was a fucking liability to my nerves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I love Gene in the future terrified his cover is going to be blown. 

That was intense! And it kept ratcheting it up as the scene went on.  The check out woman at the hospital was something but then we get to the cab with the ABQ air freshener Holy shit.  

I liked pretty much everything about this episode.  Reviewers are saying the first four episodes are lights out.  I can't wait.  So glad it's back.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, Craig H said:

He was suspended for the Mesa Verde stuff. HHM was trying to land the deal and prevent Kim from doing so. Jimmy breaks in (I think) to Chuck's home and changes the address for the bank on all of Chuck's documents. When Mesa Verde sees the error, they decide that Chuck and HHM and capable of doing their due diligence, which could set back the timeline on their new bank, and they go with Kim instead.

Later on, Jimmy and Chuck have a fight at Chuck's house over this stuff and Chuck secretly records Jimmy admitting to screwing over Chuck to help out Kim.

That all leads to the bar hearing, Jimmy having the cellphone on him during hearing, and the showing the phone in his pocket to reveal that Chuck is out of his fucking mind with regards to his illness. Jimmy isn't disbarred, but he is temporarily suspended.

Thanks!  I forgot that making Chuck look bad didn't fully get him off the hook, it just got his sentence reduced from disbarment to suspension.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:42 PM, Craig H said:

I was under the impression that it was simple denial, but there's a viewpoint I've read that says this: every time Jimmy has had an opportunity to free himself of blame, he's taken it.  Hamlin blaming himself is Jimmy's "out" in this situation.  Hence, Jimmy;s relief.  Could be true, maybe now...we'll see.

That tongue-lashing from Kim was epic. I smell a bigtime lawsuit but who knows. I guess that all depends on WHAT'S IN THE NOOOOOTE?!

omw2i.jpg'

As always, Mike's overage of logic, especially when it crushes that neurotic bitch's opinion, is fantastic. As was the response to her phone call haha