DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

The funny thing about those guys' private conversation is the first time I had the closed captioning on and though I just glanced up it read like they were trashing Jimmy. Second time around I had it turned off but you couldn't hear them at all, which made me wonder if Jimmy could hear them but the audience wasn't allowed to.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:50 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Two dudes in the break room debating who would win between Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali was my life at work for 3 weeks last year prior to Mayweather-McGregor. That was a fucking liability to my nerves.

Hahaha, same. You reminded me of this great piece of content from that weekend:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What exactly does Madrigal legitimately sell, anyway? Car parts? 

From the wikia page for Breaking Bad:

Madrigal Elektromotoren GmbH, or Madrigal Electromotive, is an enormous, multifaceted conglomerate headquartered in Hannover, Germany. The company is highly diversified in industrial equipment, manufacturing, global shipping, construction and a chain of New Mexico chicken restaurants known as Los Pollos Hermanos.

Pollos Hermanos isn't their only restaurant, though.  One episode that featured Madrigal's offices showed the logos of a bunch of fast food joints.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

OH MY GOD, IT'S 

Reveal hidden contents

Gale

Now THAT is somebody I didn't expect to see again.

What exactly is Kim up to with the paralegal? Also, I missed the first ten minutes, why was Nacho shot? 

Spoiler

They had to make his compatriot's death look like an ambush by some random cartel folks and not death by plastic bag. It would look suspicious if he just rolled out unscathed.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Also showing up last night

Hide contents

The guy Jimmy hires to steal the figurine is Ira, the guy who owns Vamanos Pest - the company Walter buys in season 5 of BB

Spoiler

I spent way too long trying to figure out if that was Jim Beaver hiding in the dark.

Glad that was explained.  I assumed he was somebody but just gave up after a while.

Okay, it's been two days, I'll still spoiler it, but it is ridiculous that I feel the need to....but

Spoiler

Did Kim give Jimmy her version of Chuck's letter instead?  That whole scene played off as really weird to me because she broke down WAY too fast.  Was it because Jimmy didn't give a shit or did she realize how easy it was to con someone she maybe thought she couldn't?  And she clearly has a plan that will fuck Mesa Verde HARD.  

I don't think that's really worth spoilering. It's just your hypothesis. I actually wonder if she had a closer relationship with Chuck than any of us knew and now he's gone. Not in the sense that they were dating, but maybe he was a father figure or mentor to Kim. She was angry before because she thought it was one last punch in the ribs from Chuck, but it turns out it was Chuck being sincere.

Also, why do you think she has a plan to screw over Mesa Verde? If anything, I think this is Kim's way out. With Mesa Verde's rapid expansion across other states, she may not be able to stay in NM with Jimmy.

I read the scene at Mesa Verde as Kim not wanting any part of it, and possible wanting to get out of lawyering as well.  I mean she almost died doing the work of one bank...and now they want her to be their counsel for a regional expansion.  She was overwhelmed and reconsidering.  There was a quick shot of two figurines in one of the mock-ups and the window framing looked like bars, like continuing to work there would feel like a prison to her.  It's a little on the nose for Gilligan, but who knows?

There's a theory on /r/bettercallsaul that Mesa Verde is a money laundering operation, which is how they can expand so quickly.  I'm not so sure about that and crazy speculation like this is why I try to avoid TV shows' subreddits.  I tapped out on Westworld Reddit after two episodes -- I'd rather be surprised and enjoy a show then possibly get spoiled by a a million theories throwing shit at the wall.

I don't think Kim sees Mesa Verde as a way out. I don't think this relationship is there yet. Nobody has any reason to reach for the exit right now. Jimmy's trouble confronting his grief and his reversion back to his old slippin' self has yet to wreak real havoc at home.

I think Kim, especially after her the car crash, has reached a point where she's seriously reconsidering her work-life balance. Her Blockbuster binge at the end of last season felt like the beginning of that. Now that she's back at work, Kevin's inadvertently given her another nudge in that direction by showing her the models her hard work will make a reality for him and telling her "this is what it's all about" or something to that effect. She's under a lot of stress and is weighing her priorities differently than she may have before the accident. Hence the work she's now willing to hand off. 

EDIT: Damn @Technico Support beat me by a minute! 

• Haha 1