DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

I read the scene at Mesa Verde as Kim not wanting any part of it, and possible wanting to get out of lawyering as well.  I mean she almost died doing the work of one bank...and now they want her to be their counsel for a regional expansion.  She was overwhelmed and reconsidering.  There was a quick shot of two figurines in one of the mock-ups and the window framing looked like bars, like continuing to work there would feel like a prison to her.  It's a little on the nose for Gilligan, but who knows?

There's a theory on /r/bettercallsaul that Mesa Verde is a money laundering operation, which is how they can expand so quickly.  I'm not so sure about that and crazy speculation like this is why I try to avoid TV shows' subreddits.  I tapped out on Westworld Reddit after two episodes -- I'd rather be surprised and enjoy a show then possibly get spoiled by a a million theories throwing shit at the wall.

I don't think Kim sees Mesa Verde as a way out. I don't think this relationship is there yet. Nobody has any reason to reach for the exit right now. Jimmy's trouble confronting his grief and his reversion back to his old slippin' self has yet to wreak real havoc at home.

I think Kim, especially after her the car crash, has reached a point where she's seriously reconsidering her work-life balance. Her Blockbuster binge at the end of last season felt like the beginning of that. Now that she's back at work, Kevin's inadvertently given her another nudge in that direction by showing her the models her hard work will make a reality for him and telling her "this is what it's all about" or something to that effect. She's under a lot of stress and is weighing her priorities differently than she may have before the accident. Hence the work she's now willing to hand off. 

EDIT: Damn @Technico Support beat me by a minute! 

• Haha 1

You two nailed it. I'm dumb for missing out on both the overwhelming amount of work that needs to be done for all of those banks and Kim seeing the people behind bars.

Something else from this episode that I again didn't care for was the cartel stuff. This was a part of the show I thought I wanted more of and honestly I just want more of Jimmy and Kim doing Jimmy and Kim things.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh goddammit!!! The unsliced pizza was one of the funniest things Breaking Bad ever did and I'm kicking myself for not tying the two together. "Anybody got a pair of scissors?"

Now I wanna know when we get to see Lavell Crawford and Bill Burr again. 

He appeared in the last season (looking considerably lighter), planting Jimmy's phone in Chuck's coat pocket. 

I'm really starting to wonder where this is all going. This season more than any other is just meandering a lot. Everyone has the own personal existential crisis and that just seems like the theme for this season. I'm not sure how else to say it, but I just want the story to go somewhere, anywhere. All of the characters this season are extra quiet and reflective, but no one is quite open. I know there was a lot of dialogue last night, but at the same time it didn't feel like anyone said much of anything.

Basically, every character should go see the therapist that Kim wants Jimmy to go see.

That opening was equal parts really cool and really heartbreaking. The rest of the episode was good stuff.

I still can't get a read on Kim. I initially believed all of you saying that Kim nearly killed herself working on the Mesa Verde stuff, but then she's so bored she took on public defender work and she took on enough of it to harm her status with Mesa Verde. Maybe she wasn't so much worried about the amount of work needed to work on Mesa Verde with their huge expansion, but maybe it's more that she's conflicted with not actually defending folks and getting into the muck in courtrooms, hence the meeting with the judge last week.

She's looking for any meaning she can get from her profession, hence her jumping in there to defend the sort of people the system is designed to chew up and spit out. Going back to her movie choices at the end of last season, she's looking to be more of an Atticus Finch if she's going to stay in this line of work. 

I struggle to imagine Atticus Finch and Saul Goodman sharing an office. 

I didn’t stop and think about it while watching, but the “Tell ‘em Jimmy sent you” line is almost certainly pointing towards Kim or Howard. And based on the trajectory of their professional interests, I’d say it’s likely Kim. 

Another thing I never thought too much about while watching Breaking Bad were the practical roadblocks to the superlab. I knew it was bananas and Gus would need to put a lot into it, but I didn’t dwell on it. We better get a couple fun montages out of its construction. 

• Like 1

I felt Kim took an interest in criminal defense because she,  like Jimmy,  had her own issues when she was younger. She said something to Jimmy after he was robbed and he wnated to do something about it that "you're not that guy anymore".  I think Kim and Jimmy are drawn to each other because they were both troubled but Kim is trying to help others from making the same mistakes she did whereas Jimmy is just Jimmy (and eventually Saul).  Kim was more concerned about the well being of that young woman than she was.  

11 hours ago, A_K said:

It'll go full circle. Either Hamlin or Kim (or both) will be defending Saul's ex-employee, by the time the flashforwards have concluded.

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I didn’t stop and think about it while watching, but the “Tell ‘em Jimmy sent you” line is almost certainly pointing towards Kim or Howard. And based on the trajectory of their professional interests, I’d say it’s likely Kim. 

Another thing I never thought too much about while watching Breaking Bad were the practical roadblocks to the superlab. I knew it was bananas and Gus would need to put a lot into it, but I didn’t dwell on it. We better get a couple fun montages out of its construction. 

Great call, guys. 

Re the superlab, to paraphrase something I saw elsewhere:

BB writers back then: "Who cares about the logistics of building it?  Nobody is going to delve that much into Gus' backstory."

BCS writers: "....shit"

But honestly, there's got to be some sort of point the specifically show it being built.  Maybe a testament to Gus' determination or something?  Because nobody would have cared about hand-waving the whole thing by saying, "there was already a basement."

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

But Francesca's already met Kim - there wouldn't need to be an explanation at all. It has to be Howard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1