DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

With all of Jimmy’s posturing about his mistakes defining him, I enjoyed the symmetry of the German being held to that standard.

That's an excellent point.  That also makes me realize how the German was hired because the prior candidate bragged and BS'd his way through the interview, while the German was blunt and honest.  It was only when his true colors showed that he was punished.

Meanwhile Jimmy is sincere with the board and gets denied.  He pours his soul out to a scholarship candidate he identifies with and she shuns him.  He shows his true colors on his last chance and tells them everything they think they want to hear, and he's rewarded.

• Like 1

The conversation was with himself as much as it was with the scholarship candidate.  I think that was Jimmy understanding fully exactly what he told her: that once you've gotten a bad reputation in any way, the higher-ups in life will never ever accept you into their club, so fuck 'em.  His sheer glee at the end of the episode when he told the court person he'd need a DBA for his license and that "'s'all good, man!" was Jimmy completely embracing who he really is.  He's always been Saul and now he absolutely gets it.  What an episode, what a season.

Bonus guest appearance by GALE'S NOTEBOOK.  That's some attention to detail, there.

• Like 1

I dunno why Fring would even bother showing him the unfinished lab if he was so pissed off about it.

Jimmy's speeches remind me of Jake Roberts saying he was gonna shove the business up his dad's ass and he did, but in the end it didn't matter. The "didn't matter" part is all that's missing, but he'll find that out.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno why Fring would even bother showing him the unfinished lab if he was so pissed off about it.

Jimmy's speeches remind me of Jake Roberts saying he was gonna shove the business up his dad's ass and he did, but in the end it didn't matter. The "didn't matter" part is all that's missing, but he'll find that out.

I also didn't understand the point behind Gun showing off the Meth Cave to Gale if Gus was pissed off about what happened with the German and the status of the cave. That was really my only issue.

Now that the season is done, I'm really disappointed we never saw anything more with current day Jimmy worrying that his cover has been blown. We had that very intense start to the season and it was the last time we saw present day Jimmy. 

So many times this season I went from worrying Kim would get killed off, to being sad that she would leave Jimmy, to being happy she stayed with Jimmy.

And in the end, yeah, I think she finally sees Jimmy for who he is and I think she probably leaves him and lives.

• Like 1

Why did Jimmy break down in his car after the HHR scene with the intern? Was that his come to jesus moment where he finally realised what he was going to have to become to get ahead?

Also, loved Kim's face after Jimmy belittled the guy who shed a tear during his speech when she'd done exactly the same. First time she realised she got hustled?

I enjoyed the season, but it definitely felt lacking by no longer having Chuck around. I reckon we get two more season and I'm hoping one of them finishes the turn to Saul and the other follows him in the aftermath of Breaking Bad, the tiny flashforwards aren't enough or me.

11 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I enjoyed the season, but it definitely felt lacking by no longer having Chuck around. I reckon we get two more season and I'm hoping one of them finishes the turn to Saul and the other follows him in the aftermath of Breaking Bad, the tiny flashforwards aren't enough or me.

I felt the opposite. Once he was out of the way the story seemed to really ramp up.

• Like 2

I had a dream last night. Jimmy had revived Chuck from the grave, think your atypical mindless Frankenstein, with a view to swapping his persona into Chuck's body so he would be more respected in the legal profession. And guess who was behind the technology that was going to allow him to do it? The Dharma Initiative! :o 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

It was worse flipping back to the channel cold and just seeing Mike yelling at her. There was solace in knowing whatever was happening, he still ended up in good enough graces to be taking care of her later on in the timeline (if I am correct). 

Dammit I'm gonna have to watch both of these tonight

After watching the new episodes in full I did go back and skim through the last four or five episodes from last season as a refresher course since we have Neflix now and I highly recommend that. The arc of Werner's self-inflicted crash and burn is so simple and powerful, and it gives a lot of gravitas to Mike punching Kai after his remark on one of the new ones. The whole deal with saving Huell was especially funny too -- the pictures of Lavell smiling and doing yardwork cracked me up. It's also clear that the assistant DA that Jimmy had the sitdown in the elevator with is going to be a continual thorn in his side from here on out.