DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Who had a better 2014 in WWE than Rollins? He was the workhorse of the Rumble, he was a key part of all the Shield/Wyatt matches, he came off like a star in the Evolution matches, had a great performance in MITB, wrestled a few great gimmick matches with Ambrose, was awesome in the Survivor Series match, and worked a ton a of good matches with Ziggler, and Cena, as well as having that great six man on Smackdown. Yeah dude is terrible.

Rollins is just decisive because of the whole "doesn't work like a traditional heel" tag. His mic work has gone from below average to great in a very short time and despite the separation between his heel/face allegance and his offense, i find him fascinating to watch work. Id dare call him the 2014 MVP in WWE.

Yeah, agree to disagree. The Ambrose matches were not good, the Lumberjack match being particularly bad, and his mic work isn't very good either, though then again, it can be hard to tell considering who is writing for him. He's not the most convincing "mastermind" or "schemer" type, though. 

In my view, he hasn't had a really good match that wasn't a multi-man tag yet, which would be fine except that he's the heel they center the shows around.

He might get better at this, and his delivery has improved to some degree since he broke away, but no, the dude has been a channel changer for me. The best thing he's done was the five-on-five Survivor Series match, and I give him credit for performing his role really well in that match, but he hasn't had a singles match above average at this point. 

We probably just enjoy different things about wrestling, which is cool. 

As for who had a better year in WWE and excepting NXT-only guys, I don't think anyone has had a higher profile or was harder-pushed than Rollins, but Cena, Luke Harper, Tyson Kidd (if we can mix his WWE work with his NXT work from the year and count him), Rusev, both Usos, and honestly, Nikki Bella all were better all-around performers just off the top of my head. 

Him wearing that face paint was awesome. But other than that, he is "guy who is really good at wrestling." I'll take Tyson Kidd as a "megalomaniac cat lover who is really good at wrestling."

He's a nice, humble, sweet Irish guy just happy to be competing here in America.... until you piss him off. Then he paints up like a demon and fucks up your whole world. He's Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. That's his character.

Please don't tell Vince he's Irish.

Looking Irish almost got Mr. Kennedy a huge push. Vince loves Irish. 

So, question for S. McU here, what does your top 5 list of in-ring WWE performers for 2014 look like?

Just WWE or including NXT?

Including NXT, I'd have it like this:

1. Sami Zayn

2. Sasha Banks

3. Tyson Kidd

4. Luke Harper

5. Rusev

Just WWE, I'd go:

1. Luke Harper

2. Rusev

3. The Usos (I know, but I put them together as a package deal because it's their work as a tag team that I think was awesome this year)

4. John Cena

That's technically five there. I also think Big E and Brock Lesnar were better, but had less volume, so it's hard to argue them versus a guy with the volume that Rollins has. I know people will roll their eyes, but Nikki Bella put together a really good year especially on Superstars and ME, had a very good match with Brie on PPV, and was solid and convincing doing heel work in that feud on the mic and in the ring. She came off as a more convincing heel than Rollins, but that's because she fit the role she was in, and Rollins doesn't fit his role so much to me. Dolph Ziggler is a guy I don't love, but I have to admit that he had a really good year and had awesome matches with Cesaro, Miz, and Luke Harper among others, and was really wonderful in the SurSer 5v5. Cesaro was buried under the ground, but had a ton of good matches and had Sheamus's best non-Goldust matches so far. All those people are people that I think had better all-around years than Rollins. 

Just watched the latest episode. Did anyone else find it weird that they had this whole months long build-up for Corbin/Dempsey (which I actually thought was pretty good) and then they blow off the entire feud in a five minute match on a regular episode and it's not even the main event of the show?

Just watched the latest episode. Did anyone else find it weird that they had this whole months long build-up for Corbin/Dempsey (which I actually thought was pretty good) and then they blow off the entire feud in a five minute match on a regular episode and it's not even the main event of the show?

It being a stacked episode to mark the show's move to Wednesdays, I didn't really think much of it. 

Smelly's thoughts on Rollins match mine for the Usos. The only time I've found them remotely interesting is when they wrestled The Shield or the Wyatts.  If you've seen one Uso match you've seen them all imo. I can't recall a single time that the Usos took a lesser team to a great match. When I think of the Usos in 2014 I think of the guys who spent all year making The Big Guy and Luke Harper look like jobbers so yeah fuck them.

Stephanie pretty much showed she's miles above every woman on the main roster. Rusev, Harper, Ambrose, Cesaro, and Cena would be Rollins main roster competition for the top 5. Bryan probably deserves a high spot for his great run as well. Sami, Kidd, and Sasha probably deserve to be in the top 10 with Sami a strong #1 contender.

That Corbin/Dempsey match had to be closer to two minutes than five.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have some reservations about Corbin, but they need to put all the eggs in one basket between him and Dempsey. Trading wins will only ensure that neither of them moves up. I was pleasantly surprised with their match this week (esp. Dempsey getting up for the EOD). If there's a rematch, it should end in similar fashion. Sure, Corbin's no Goldberg, but it couldn't hurt to keep booking him like that as long as he's over.

A second facial expression would be nice, too.

I am absolutely not buying that blank look on his face as a "thousand yard stare" like he's some ex-Marine with Fallujah nightmares and not a former football player.

To be fair, he did have a little smile in his early squashes that he was obviously told to lose.

Id like to see Corbin and someone go the Raven/Dreamer route.

Pick a guy to upset Corbin (Gable, Breeze, Balor...) and have the result go his way half a dozen times over the course of a couple of years.

In between Corbin can keep steamrolling his way to the title all while Gable/Breeze/Balor get brought up as his "Kryptonite".

Its the one thing that has always been missing from Cena's "Superman" - that one guy he can never, ever beat.

Give that to Corbin and it deepens his character instantly.

I actually love stuff like this, especially when it's done right. You mentioned Raven/Dreamer, but I can recall KENTA/Sugiura, and HHH/Shelton as other good examples.

Someone needs to show Corbin how to throw a worked punch. And maybe give him the number to whoever did Chavo Jr.'s hair plugs.

how petty
He's in a business where your appearance is generally the biggest factor in determining how successful you are. He's gonna have to do something about his thinning hair sooner or later.

A second facial expression would be nice, too.

I am absolutely not buying that blank look on his face as a "thousand yard stare" like he's some ex-Marine with Fallujah nightmares and not a former football player.

To be fair, he did have a little smile in his early squashes that he was obviously told to lose.

For some reason, I interpreted this as Baron was booked to lose his early matches, but called an audible/shoot won (with his totally realistic finisher) instead. And now that he's booked to win, he doesn't smile because he gets no thrill from sticking it to the writers. I might need sleep.

• Like 1

Id like to see Corbin and someone go the Raven/Dreamer route.

Pick a guy to upset Corbin (Gable, Breeze, Balor...) and have the result go his way half a dozen times over the course of a couple of years.

In between Corbin can keep steamrolling his way to the title all while Gable/Breeze/Balor get brought up as his "Kryptonite".

Its the one thing that has always been missing from Cena's "Superman" - that one guy he can never, ever beat.

Give that to Corbin and it deepens his character instantly.

I actually love stuff like this, especially when it's done right. You mentioned Raven/Dreamer, but I can recall KENTA/Sugiura, and HHH/Shelton as other good examples.

Didn't Trips eventually beat Shelton and it was treated as no big deal? I wanna say it was during some tournament.