DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Nintendo's strategy is "withered technology," pioneered by Gunpei Yokoi. They like to stay behind in tech a bit and to try and max out slightly older tech. They'll never compete with Sony or Microsoft on specs. 

Frankly, I think competing directly would be death for them anyway because the ship has sailed for Nintendo's brand as a place to get the type of third-party killer apps that are favored in the West. 

I assume that Nintendo is going to use their healthy parts of their business (handhelds) and their foray into mobile to try and drive console sales. Cross-play, cross-buy, remote play, unified account system, something like XBL or PSN with a yearly sub (Sony prints money with PSN, for example) except that rewards you for how many Nintendo consoles/mobile products/Amiibos that you have linked to your account with coins or whatever Club Nintendo-like thing they want to do. 

I also assume that, using withered tech strategies, they'll have something still sub-PS4 specs wise, but that they can put on the market for something like Gamecube's launch MSRP (which was $199 U.S.). This will make it a viable Nintendo box where I finally will feel like it's worth the money to play the four or five Nintendo IPs that I want to play (for me, Starfox, Smash, Kart, DKC, non-Canvas Curse-style Kirby off the top of my head). On top of it, if I have a 3DS or if I play their F2P mobile stuff, I find it even more worthwhile to have a NX because now I get cross-play and buy, I can just do remote play off the 3DS (or whatever the next handheld is after the 3DS) instead of being stuck with the shittiest controller alive on the WiiU to get the same function, whatever I play on handheld or mobile might earn me coins to buy NX downloads, etc.

Plus, considering Nintendo's profitable move toward making toys with Amiibos and their forays into QOL products, it's pretty clear that they understand that they simply can't compete directly in the home console market right now with the big boys. They're branching out and diversifying their product line while also trying to get that 20M-25M of home console buyers they'll need worldwide to make the type of profit with the NX that they want to make.

That is my (somewhat) educated guess. 

• Like 1

Nah. If I'm specifically looking for a game to pad gamerscore, it'll be on the 360. I've never finished a PS3 game. In terms of trophies, anyway.

Not much of a trophy/GS guy unless I really love a game

Way too hard for me. I dislike video game masochism.

I do not understand the vdeogame masochists.  The relaunch of Ninja Gaiden is the last time I played one of those games and I realized frustration and misery were not why I play videogames.  I feel like those games are like running a marathon.  Sure, I guess you can say you accomplished something, and all it cost you were countless hours of pain and dispair.  I'm not trying to prove anything to myself, I'd rather do something enjoyable.

• Like 1

I'm playing Bloodborne now. Just killed the first boss. I wish the character creation had more options, but it's a minor complaint.

To each their own, but I don't really see it as masochism, and I think people really exaggerate the difficulty of these games. They're very challenging, but it's a nice change of pace from a lot of the games today with a million checkpoints. It's pure gameplay, and it requires some patience to learn how to play, but it's very rewarding. I'm not someone who rages while playing video games, and I've finished both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Those were enjoyable games to me. Not torture. Some parts were pretty difficult, but when you advance - it's a great feeling. 

As someone who died about a hundred thousand hundred thousand times playing Land of the Livid Dead on Rayman Origins just a few days ago in order to beat it, I'll be picking up Bloodborne, getting frustrated, and feeling accomplished and only slightly resentful once I beat it.

I'm playing Bloodborne now. Just killed the first boss. I wish the character creation had more options, but it's a minor complaint.

To each their own, but I don't really see it as masochism, and I think people really exaggerate the difficulty of these games. They're very challenging, but it's a nice change of pace from a lot of the games today with a million checkpoints. It's pure gameplay, and it requires some patience to learn how to play, but it's very rewarding. I'm not someone who rages while playing video games, and I've finished both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Those were enjoyable games to me. Not torture. Some parts were pretty difficult, but when you advance - it's a great feeling. 

I think it is one of those things like the snooze button.  Some people always use the snooze button, and others never use the snooze button.  I think I'm much more motivated by having enjoyable experiences than I am by the struggle to overcome adversity.  If I take on something super challenging it will be because it will improve my personal or professional life in some sort of tangible way.  My free time is much more about enjoying myself than it is challenging myself.

• Like 1

I think it is one of those things like the snooze button.  Some people always use the snooze button, and others never use the snooze button.  I think I'm much more motivated by having enjoyable experiences than I am by the struggle to overcome adversity.  If I take on something super challenging it will be because it will improve my personal or professional life in some sort of tangible way.  My free time is much more about enjoying myself than it is challenging myself.

Now, I feel guilty about using the snooze button.

Now, I feel guilty about using the snooze button.

Don't feel guilty.  I read some article where they did a study about the snooze button and it is basically 50% of people hit the snooze button and 50% do not.  The people who do can't understand the people who don't and vice versa.  It is basically a biological thing about how people wake up when alarmed.  Apparently it is based on how much adrenaline your body produces when the alarm goes off.  For some people it is an amount that they get right up and feel refreshed.  Some people get an extreme amount and as soon as their bodies realize it isn't an emergency it is just an alarm clock they experience an adrenaline dump and feel drowsy. 

• Like 1

The Borderlands Collection framerate is fucked. Like, it has some serious issues.

That bums me out. Borderlands felt like the start of something huge and it's been one disappointment after another since.

I got Bloodborne as a gift from a friend who spent too damned much on my birthday. So far, I have no real opinion, but I never played the SOuls games.

I'm guessing Mat Mania isn't worth $8, but I'd be thrilled for people to talk me into it because I haven't seen a good 'arcade style' wrestling game in decades.

The Borderlands Collection framerate is fucked. Like, it has some serious issues.

That bums me out. Borderlands felt like the start of something huge and it's been one disappointment after another since.

What was disappointing besides this? I guess the Pre-Sequel, but I was never expecting that to be as great as the core Borderlands games. And while I haven't played Tales From the Borderlands yet, people are flipping their shit about how good it is.

I got Bloodborne as a gift from a friend who spent too damned much on my birthday. So far, I have no real opinion, but I never played the SOuls games.

I'm guessing Mat Mania isn't worth $8, but I'd be thrilled for people to talk me into it because I haven't seen a good 'arcade style' wrestling game in decades.

Also you can 100% it for trophies in less than 15 minutes. Seriously.

I'm gonna take a guess here and assume you didn't mean Bloodborne.

• Like 2

I'd like to try Life is Strange eventually. Story seems right up my alley.

Currently addicted to Bloodborne. It's so much fun. Co-opped for a bit with my friend, and we almost killed the 3rd boss. If the host dies, then the game is over. Sucks, because I had a full bar of health and was just a few hits away from killing it. Luckily, I got to keep all of my souls to use for upgrading.

Got Mat Mania yesterday.  Yep, trophies are easy to get.  I got a few just by going in parts of the settings.

As far as gameplay it's a button masher in every sense of the word.  It's a fun time though.  It's pretty cool to toss somebody out then do a running plancha to the floor.  You can't choose any wrestlers, it's more good guy going through five guys towards championship.  The gameplay's easy enough but it's hard to beat the guy.  Also doesn't help that there's no life bar, just racking up points.