DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Is it actually going to be Russia only when it goes full public or is it just for the beta phase? Their own FAQ is sort of ambiguous on this. They basically say "well we could expand into other areas maybe if we feel like it" while also talking about how they want to do something specific to the Russian market. Sort of a mixed message right now.

IGN says it'll start as Russia-only. I expect it to eventually go to China like that Free-to-Play Call of Duty Online they have there also. For some reason, I doubt it'll ever come here since Halo on the X-Box is so strong here, but we'll see.

Okay, through part 2 of Life is Strange and god damn is this game pretty damn powerful. The scene near the end basically was exactly what I was hoping this game would bring me: Heartbreaking decisions that play upon your own ability to pay fucking attention during important things. All of the characters in the game so far have there own little stuff, even the minor bit ones. You can make your own opinions on the direction the story is going, which characters you really don't trust, which characters you are willing to go out of your way to help, and I will say it certainly passes the "the calls you make matter" test. 

It's not an amazing "game" by context of gameplay mechanics, as it kinda struggles with how to use the going back in time thing accurately in a strong way. But if you treat it more like a Visual Novel, it's been one of the best ever done. The only main thing in the game I've been rough on is I think Chloe isn't a very likable character. 

To the great shock of no one at all, Zelda has been delayed to 2016.

EDIT: Actually, not technically true. The video said "a release by the end of 2015 is no longer our #1 priority". Which, let's be honest, means it ain't fucking coming out this year. But that was a hilarious way to break the news.

So my meds didn't cost as much as I thought, so I had a little extra money, and...

Yeah, Pillars of Eternity runs on my machine, and hoshit I have been teleported back 10 years and this is gorgeous and awesome. I'm sure the cats and my Mom will remind me to eat and sleep. ;-)

• Like 3

There's a free standalone Fast and Furious -branded Forza Horizon 2 thing that released yesterday. If you liked the other Horizon games, this will give you a few more hours of that sort of gameplay. It's actually a better ad for those games than it is Fast 7.

For those who care about such things, it's also a fairly easy run through the achievements.

It's been fun while it lasted. Can't ask much more of a free game...

My big dig on Pillars of Eternity is all the seemingly obvious typos.  I mean I'm right at the beginning and noticing weird tense usage and other shit.  I won't complain on improper sentence structure or bad punctuation. Then again, I figured the first 7 hours would've gotten ironed out and nit-picked after all this time but I guess not.  Otherwise you have to do a little figuring out when they toss out made-up bullshit but you can usually use your context clues to figure out what they meant.  The fact that they used recalcitrant twice this early means they can at least use a fucking thesaurus.   Right now it has that thing where I'm reading shit and following it but then they toss in some made up word for some normal concept and I have to mentally translate it to understand what they just said.

Now that that is out of the way let me praise the fact that reading shit will give you actual clues that aren't just automatically imbued upon you.  The soul impressions are evocative and let you use your own imagination.  There was a guy and I read his soul thing and was able to grok that he was a chanter of great power.  There was no gameplay benefit to that knowledge but it also didn't remove me from the world of the game. 

• Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

I borrowed Battlefield 4 from a friend and have been playing the campaign.  It will not save the campaign past the high rise part.  I played two levels beyond it, TWICE, and it still won't save.  This is not an issue isolated to me, but a widespread problem from what I've read on it.  And apparently, EA still hasn't fixed the fucking thing. 

I don't even know how that is possible. 

This is the part of my post where I say, Fuck EA.

I borrowed Battlefield 4 from a friend and have been playing the campaign. It will not save the campaign past the high rise part. I played two levels beyond it, TWICE, and it still won't save. This is not an issue isolated to me, but a widespread problem from what I've read on it. And apparently, EA still hasn't fixed the fucking thing.

I don't even know how that is possible.

This is the part of my post where I say, Fuck EA.

When I played it, the screen went black at the end part of the level. Tried restarting and the autosave was at the same point, same result. I had to play the long ass level all the way over. I beat the game, mostly because it was really short, played online a couple of times where it glitched out, said fuck it and traded in the game.

The reviews for Axiom Verge for the PS4 (comes out tomorrow, 3/31) are starting to roll in:

Game Informer says yo, this game is great

Kotaku says we liked it less but it's still good

IGN says yep, it's very good

Weird to see the highest review come from the press organ of Gamestop, which won't be able to sell the game.

I already knew I'd almost certainly be snagging this tomorrow; none of the reviews have changed that. Glad to see it isn't the shits anyway, though.

Playstation Home shuts down today. I didn't know it was still a thing.

Hence why its shutting down.

At least now I'll stop getting updates pushed for it.

Playstation Home shuts down today. I didn't know it was still a thing.

Hence why its shutting down.

At least now I'll stop getting updates pushed for it.

Will the button go away so I quit accidentally hitting it when trying to go to the PS store? 

• Like 1