DVDVR Message Board

The Photos What We Took of Us

Pete

Hey, I didn't move to New York to NOT attend the Metropolitan Opera!  

Nice, what you catch? Hoping to see Le Nozze di Figaro next year...

I saw "La Traviata" - if you only see one opera about a woman dying of tuberculosis this year, make it La Traviata!  

Or "La Boheme", I don't care.

You can never go wrong with Figaro, it's one of the operas I always recommend to people who aren't opera fans because it's so delightfully tuneful and full of witty lines.  Be careful though - I saw the Met was doing "Barber of Seville" this year (the prequel to Figaro) which I love, but then I looked closer and saw they were doing it IN ENGLISH which I cannot abide.  Rossini wrote his music for the Italian language, every opera I've ever seen that was written for another language and ported to English has sounded incredibly weird to me.

Don't get down on English translations.  W.H. Auden did an amazing one of Don Giovanni.  The thing is, it's nice to be able to hear instead of just read what people are saying during those amazing ensembles when everyone is singing at the same time.  That's part of the magic of Mozart in particular, but it gets lost when we only listen in Italian and read little bits of text one at a time.

I'd give it a try if I were there.

Also WEAR A TIE OR ANSWER TO THE EMPEROR!!!

12065817_10153117238891976_4609279012793

I understand that some people might be offended by the idea of blackface. It was a dare, and I accepted said dare. It got a lot of laughs and compliments; if anyone here is truly offended, I will gladly remove it and/or accept whatever punishment the board sees fit.

As a black man, I'm more offended that you used Mardi Gras beads instead of real gold chains.   ;)

Seriously though, I'm not offended in the least.  Al Jolson blackface is the only blackface that MIGHT bother me.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Blurry pic of me meeting Bobcat Goldthwait.  (Someone else was trying to take the pic with my phone but had a finger over the lens, but thankfully a friend got an alternate picture.)

12509698_10207589542070824_3937507454298

Me and Willie Tyler(w/ Lester).

12654437_10207755714825039_3247837318049

Me and A.C.H.

1422393_1242052699143903_901953194557160