DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Figures

I was big into the Hasbro line when I was a kid. Me and my mate would pretty much pool our collections together and do big storylines and angles.

I found a bag of them in my loft a few years ago and got back into collecting them. I've now got all of the regular releases apart from the white Yokozuna and re-released bushwhackers.

Collecting them again got me thinking back to the old days and remembering all the old stories. I had a few unlikely guys go on big singles runs. Smash, Warlord and Brian Knobbs all had title reigns in my "fed". I also mixed in a few non-wrestling figures, Mumm-Ra was a monster heel until his arm fell off, then the terminator took over. Then his arm fell off, but it was one of those interchangeable ones so for the later part of his career he had a metal claw instead.

But once the Hasbro line ended, I guess that was around 94, I never cared for any other wrestling figures, looking at the current lines they all look a bit dull and lifeless.

Funny, I actually just found my Marty Jannetty Hasbro toy in my parent's yard. I was helping my dad with some gardening and apparently I must have buried it when I was a kid. I had the Rockers two pack and I destroyed my Shawn Michaels toy when he turned on Marty. To this day I still hate Shawn Michaels.

• Like 1

Funny, I actually just found my Marty Jannetty Hasbro toy in my parent's yard. I was helping my dad with some gardening and apparently I must have buried it when I was a kid. I had the Rockers two pack and I destroyed my Shawn Michaels toy when he turned on Marty. To this day I still hate Shawn Michaels.

And yet you still buried Jannetty?

And yet you still buried Jannetty?

This is Marty we're talking about here.  He's more than capable enough to get himself buried.

Jakks did some LJN-style figures.  Didn't capture the charm of the originals at all.  I'd imagine the same thing would happen if Mattel tried to tackle the Hasbro-style figures.

I used to have this MUSCLE Thing figure that I thought looked like Abraham Lincoln.  Creeped me out so I traded him to a friend.  A couple of weeks later, same figure comes back to me as part of a lot in a trade with another friend.  Figured I had to book the guy out of the territory to get rid of him so I had him lose a loser leaves town match and like any sensible child, threw him out the front door after he lost.  Few days later my dad finds it while mowing the lawn and gives it back to me.  Guy's got some tenacity so I made him a mid-card manager but he still creeped me out so I was still looking for ways to get rid of him.  Dad dug a ditch in the backyard and filled it with water for some reason and MUSCLE Things don't float so I had some matches by the water-filled ditch and Abe ended up getting thrown in and a couple of days later that trench got filled in with dirt.  Maybe a year later, my dad plows up the backyard and finds that damn figure again.  So I quit trying to get rid of him and made him a referee.  No idea where it is now.

• Like 7

Stories like that crack me up. Me and my buddy were pretty weird kids and I remember a GI Joe (basically treated as jobbers) lost a Loser Loses Legs match. So we chopped his legs off after the match singing Berlin, "take my legs awaaaay!"

Some cousin destroyed my priced Sgt.Slaughter GI.Joe when he turned heel in 91. I was furious, a few years later and I would have likely did a stint in Juvie. 

Will never forget my first wrestling figures: The Dream Team LJN tag-team set on the clearance rack in a department store.  I was one of those troubled children who's first favorite wrestler was Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake (the 80's were messed up), so the prospect of getting him with classic heel Greg Valentine, was perfect.  Was bummed that he didn't come with a little pair of shears, and had that dumb thumb-point pose.

I now make bootleg lucha figures in my apartment, so arguably one good thing came out of my Brutus Beefcake fandom:

Posted Image

Some cousin destroyed my priced Sgt.Slaughter GI.Joe when he turned heel in 91. I was furious, a few years later and I would have likely did a stint in Juvie. 

Me and my friends burned the faces of our Sarges, so we could  have a Freddy Kreuger figure.

That's an Oddjob body from the James Bond jr line, right?

It is, and you are the first person able to identify it!  The head is from  Masked Warriors Tinieblas and the fists are off a Hulkbuster Iron Man.  I made another figure using a different 90's toy line if you wanna take a stab:

Posted Image

• Like 1

I LOVE figures. Still have 40+ LJN's from the 80's, a ton of Hasbro's and most of the Galoob WCW, Remco AWA and 90's ECW figures.

I was broke and in college and then broke and unemployed for most of the Jakks Classic figures run so I dont have many of them, maybe 12 or 16 from the whole line.

Kinda went back to collecting again once the Mattel line came out because I had a job and had the disposable income. Have probably around 50 Mattels including most of the Legends series.

I thought for sure there was a Hasbro Diesel. I had a conversatiom not long ago about those who sadly didn't get a Hasbro as it seemed like almost everyone did at the time. Some that come to mind, The Orient Express, Tugboat, and one that would have been really cool, Barbarian. There was also no managers series like ljn had. maybe because all hasbros had a move and what could you do with managers? Thinking about it though a Mr. Fuji with the swinging cane or Sensational Sherri with purse doesnt sound so crazy after all.

I thought for sure there was a Hasbro Diesel. I had a conversatiom not long ago about those who sadly didn't get a Hasbro as it seemed like almost everyone did at the time. Some that come to mind, The Orient Express, Tugboat, and one that would have been really cool, Barbarian. There was also no managers series like ljn had. maybe because all hasbros had a move and what could you do with managers? Thinking about it though a Mr. Fuji with the swinging cane or Sensational Sherri with purse doesnt sound so crazy after all.

I used to be a maniac about the Hasbro line when I was growing up. 

My weekly allowance was $5 - just enough to buy one figure. In order to obtain it, I'd have to cut our massive yard (as an 8, 9, and 10-year-old) with a mower that was entirely too large for a skinny youngster such as myself. I'd cut that thing so fast (which, in retrospect, was probably pretty dangerous) and often leave sections behind trees, on the other side of the garage, etc, entirely uncut - as the moment I was finished, I would get rid directly to Toys R Us for a new figure. I would either save the backs of the figure card or use one of the WWF trading cards, and create PPV posters with card line-ups, etc, that I kept in a binder. I also had a cassette player for entrance music. I eventually would integrate the WCW Galoobs into the roster, but some of those were fairly useless - what could you actually do with Luger other than a DDT? Or Pillman other than a flying body press? For about five-years, I reached a level of dedication or nerddom I'll never fully understand. 

I started going back a few years ago and reading a lot about the Hasbro line and Galoob line. I've gone back and purchased all of the figures and each accessories (which can actually be fairly pricey - imagine paying $28 for two plastic Bushwacker hats). But I learned a lot of supposed insider informaion

-According to rumors, a Diesel figure was to be made for the series after the green card series (the last series produced).

-There was a Tugboat figure that was going to be produced - a double-sized, painted prototype exists. It had the power-punch spring arm action.  

-The infamous Greg Valentine Rhythm and Blues figure popped up last month on eBay. Sold for ~$10,000 and couldn't even be accurately confirmed as the real one. WTF?