DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BOB BACKLUND

RIPPA

That Survivor Series promo is so ill. I love how he gets all quiet and then punchlines it with the "I FEEL LIKE GAAAAAAAAWD". Truly threatening, Howdy Doody has lost his shit and you better run. 

I remember this being really weird. Had to go back and look but sure enough it was his only match on the New Japan set. Could have swore there was him vs. Inoki or something on there, but no. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BMxbZXTbU

Speaking of sets, this hit #3 on the Other Japan set so you know it's a killer. Three parts. 

Ah, Slater getting mangled. That was a really fun couple of weeks. 

"Eating marijuana"? Okay Bob.

"Look at that tough guy up there, he's a plebeian"

EDIT: We could just have a whole thread of nothing but crazy Backlund promos. This looks like outtakes but it has a kind of flow. The cuts and weird pauses just make him seem crazier, like he's about to explode and has to catch his wind for a moment just to keep going off. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im-gFrYRq8g

The Crazy Bob Backlund run was one of the greatest things in wrestling history.

Was he at least a good "I'm gonna get the man who wronged me" babyface promo during his WWWF championship run? Seems like he would be considering his Crazy Bob Backlund promo skills.

I wish he'd pop up on WWE TV now. Are they still on good terms? He'd be an awesome GM, if they're gonna continue with that tired bullshit. Or a manager of a protege he's teaching to be smartly arrogant and breaking people's arms with the chicken wing.

• Like 1

This is fucking awesome.

This is how a Cena heel turn goes down but it never will.

Begin railing on everyone for their faults while you helped raised their children through the tv.  Turn on everything you stood for because the parents never backed it up.

He was a great wrestler back in the day.  Fantastic babyface run followed by an equally spectacular heel run.

I had forgot that Backlund had a stint in the AWA in the mid 80's. I tried to find more footage of Backlund in the AWA. All I could find is this interview which seems to be his introduction into the company.