DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BOB BACKLUND

RIPPA

I was upset that I couldn't find Mr. Backlund destroying Man Mountain Rock's guitar.

This resulted from Jarrett offering Barry Horowitz (who hadn't been elevated to JTTS status yet by Candido/Hakushi) a title match, and Backlund interrupting the contract signing.

I include this because Backlund actually calls Diesel "Kevin Nash".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne-E4yX6lsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgx_CkNcKuQ

There's a proto-McGillycutter/Turning Heads neckbreaker from Backlund in this one that I quite like. I was a bit disappointed by Michael's sell of the atomic drop though.

I had no idea Backlund spent so much time in Japan in the late 80's. I remember watching Summerslam 88 when I was a kid and when they did the whole Beefcake injury angle so there was a mystery opponent, my father was like "it would be great if it was Bob Backlund".

Looking at that TNA footage it's a shame they used him as a comedy act.  I think a serious Backlund run for one last World Title would have been compelling television. I know this is TNA we're talking about. Also still upset we never got Kevin Nash as X Division Champion vs. Bob Backlund with Backlund getting his long over due rematch.

• Like 1

Is Bob in the Hall of Fame yet, or is he still holding out for a last title run? That's the story I remember anyway.

2013. Same year as Bruno and Foley

Yeah - Backlund was the one who was going on for so long that Vince came out himself and told him to wrap it up and Bob kept on going and going and going

My limited knowledge of BattlARTS makes me confused at how exact a tag match would work in that setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrLngn8GVc

After you asked this I had to watch the thing to see how it plays out. Basically it's Yone getting his limbs torn asunder until Mr. Backlund tags in and tries his deadlift spot twice to no avail to garner heat and then succeed on the third. It's actually a pretty smart way to work the match because he's so damn goofy and the Japanese crowd knows it, so best to let him get some sympathy heat and then go for the chicken wing, which legit will end any match no matter who's using it. Carl Malenko is fucking awesome in this, and even does a LeBell/YES-Lock years before Daniel Bryan ever used it. All the stiffness and pain of BattlARTS with a little whimsy. I recommend it.

I kinda dig heel Lawler so I'm sure I'll enjoy it okay.

There's a funny running bit in the 92/93 WWF stuff where Heenan claims to have came up with all of Backlund's moves. I think I'm going to call the bridging rollup 'The Heenan Cradle' from now on.

For strange Dailymotion reasons, I can only access this in full screen - http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x4hp4e?related=0 . Demento is ungood obviously, but Backlund's warm-up prematch is funny:

Nothing of substance to add here, but I just gotta say, I love all this Bob Backlund appreciation.  My indy wrestler buddies back in the day used to rib me up and down for being a Backlund mark, they thought his stuff was old-fashioned and boring.  Thank you, gentlemen, for seeing the light.  

And hey, can anyone find that one match Bob had with Great Sasuke?  Not either man's best showing, Bob totally whiffed a catch on one of poor Sasuke's dives, but I'm always a sucker for a bizarro mismatch of opponents like that.  

Jingus, you are a god among men for suggesting this. Maybe the ultimate miscellaneous match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdyc2_great-sasuke-vs-bob-backlund-11-23_news

EDIT: Wait, is this Orihara instead? Ugh, nevermind.

EDIT II: I don't care if that was Orihara or the real Sasuke, that was the pits. But Bob is not afraid to fall on his head for no reason, and stretch the shit out of someone who deserves it at the end of a horrible match. I'm glad he didn't catch the masked one on either dive.

EDIT: Wait, is this Orihara instead? Ugh, nevermind.

Is it?  That would explain a lot.  

And check out the awesome carny-ness of Iron Sheik, Hulk Hogan, and Bob Backlund in this match, leading to the inevitable obligatory disqualification finish:

I'll never forgive Backlund for cheating to rob Superstar Billy Graham of his WWWF title.  Graham himself told me the referee was imported from Sicily by Bruno Sammartino himself to assist in the chicanery, and that the Superstar knew as soon as he smelled the scungili on his breathe that the fix was in.

Shame on you Bob Backlund, you sat upon a throne of lies!

vs Superstar Billy Graham Lumberjack Match - MSG 

KUNG FU GRAHAM~! was the drizzling shits. It was more fun picking out lumberjacks who Bob could have a better match with than the match itself.

• Like 1