DVDVR Message Board

DEC ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

Not surprised that the origin of the package piledriver is joshi. Is it?

I've watched exactly two joshi matches, both this week, and I think I could be convinced that the object of joshi is to prove that women have a higher pain threshold than men.  The Bull Nakano leg drop from the top of the cage is probably the scariest intentional wrestling move I've ever seen.  Seriously, if she landed an inch or two in the wrong direction she would have crushed poor Yumiko Hotta's skull and killed her in front of an audience. 

Not surprised that the origin of the package piledriver is joshi. Is it?

I've watched exactly two joshi matches, both this week, and I think I could be convinced that the object of joshi is to prove that women have a higher pain threshold than men.  The Bull Nakano leg drop from the top of the cage is probably the scariest intentional wrestling move I've ever seen.  Seriously, if she landed an inch or two in the wrong direction she would have crushed poor Yumiko Hotta's skull and killed her in front of an audience. 

Not to mention the damage she actually did to herself. Imagine jumping off from what-- fifteen feet?-- and landing squarely on your ass.  That could permanently fuck up your back. Hurt to watch that. 

I really need to catch up on that Underground Lucha thing. Seems like I'm missing out.

I've only seen like two of the five episodes, but I am a big time fan of it. I'm not even a huge lucha guy. I just think the presentation of the show is fantastic. It's something that, for some reason, is incredibly important to me in wrestling. It's almost WSX-like. The "cutscenes" where they run backstage angles is really cool too. It's never been done before in wrestling, and would be business exposing in another time, but it beats WWE's invisible fourth wall. It's certainly different from TNA's shaky-cam style. The work isn't half bad either. John Morrison vs. Puma (Ricochet) was refreshing to watch, especially for a guy who, again, doesn't watch as much real lucha as I should. It wouldn't have been an out of place match in NXT

tumblr_ng30wahRzd1u1urgoo1_400.gif

That forking jiggly vein on Mr. Intensity reminds me of the one from Don Muraco's arm:

don-muraco-05.jpg

It fascinated us greatly during his '80s WWWF/WWF run. He became even more... um, vascular later on. I dunno what became of The World's Most Intense Sting Fan but I am sure it involved bad tattoo choices and jobs with nametags.

rassling!,

RAF

Did they use plants in the crowd to look all hot and bothered when Rude came out, or was he just that ravishing? You don't see enough great individual crowd reaction shots anymore. Crowds are far too conscious of being filmed.

The ones who got brought to the ring had to be plants.

Awesome. Sad at the lack of Caballero Rojo though. Let's all enjoy his glorious theme song.

Apparently they beat Vince McMahon to the idea of selling wrestler themes by about 20 years. I was reading a bunch of stuff on Titanes en el Ring earlier and they had a really hot selling album in Argentina during the 70s of the wrestler's entrance music.

titanes-en-el-ring-solo-disco-13609-MLA1

Titanes en el Ring - 1972 -

BENITO DURANTE

CABALLERO ROJO

DON QUIJOTE Y SANCHO PANZA

EL COREANO SUN

EL GITANO IVANOFF

EL HIELERO

EL VIKINGO

HIPPIE JIMMY

YOLANKA

JOE EL MERCENARIO