DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

I don't get the idea of "critical mass" for comic book features, when "real" literature is probably the root of, what, maybe 60-75% of all films in any given year?

Watched Amazing Spider-man 2 earlier today. I liked it. It was better written than the first and gave more time to the Garfield/Stone dynamic which was nice. Kind of have to agree that it wasn't better than Raimi's first two movies. It felt like there should have been more scenes between Harry and Pete to build the the Green Goblin side of the story. I really liked Fox as Electro and sort of agree that they probably should have made him the focus and waited to push the Harry/Goblin stuff to the next level for movie 3.

They either needed to spend more time with Harry/Pete, or push it.

Not sure this needs spoiler tagged or not, but I will just to be safe:

I still think there's about 15 minutes of time spent on Richard and Mary Parker that I am yet to hear a single person say they cared about that could have been spent on Harry and Peter.  Hell, even do a flashback to the two of them as kids when Harry got sent away (which could have allowed the Norman/Harry scene to be a hell of a lot less exposition heavy as a bonus) and spend another scene or two with the two of them before Harry makes his request.  Would have given a lot more weight to his turn if you they were bound and determined to get it all done in this move to set up a Sinister Six film...  Which is a terrible idea, imo, but they didn't ask me.

ASM has managed to do in two movies what it took SM to do in three.  Produced an overstuffed hodgepodge of stuff that could've been spread over two more movies.  I think it would've been a better movie if Foxx had rolled solo as Electro and the movie were about fourty five minutes shorter..

Did anybody actually use the Shazam gimmick during the credits? I didn't.

I did get a kick out of Sony having to put the X-MEN teaser in there, though. In a way, it seemed like a fairly appropriate cap to an overstuffed movie obsessed with franchise-building: an ad for somebody else's franchise.

Don't think medium, think genre.

Like horror?

We don't tend to get 8-10 horror movies in 5 months most years.

I would say the fact that there isn't that many released by major studios (even if you count Lionsgate) now has helped movies like The Purge and The Conjuring do better in the middle of the summer when they would be killed in years where we have Saw clones out the anus. It doesn't help stuff like Carrie (it went against the juggernaut Gravity), but it keeps the genre relevant.

So did they hint at the next villain in the third Spidey flick or is it just going to be Green Goblin(again)?

I haven't seen the TASM2 yet, but put me in the group that prefers Garfield/Stone way more than Tobey/Dunst. 

They definitely hinted at what's in store and it could very well be a mess... but it has potential to be awesome.

The movie was good and interesting, but I still think they tried to jam too much into it.  I do agree that what lies ahead could be either very good, or go the other way quickly.

I'm leaning toward it being a big mess. And I hate the idea that they're going to be glorified henchmen. What's interesting about supervillain team-ups, the better kind anyway, is the way their personalities and agendas clash as they attempt to work toward a common goal, and ultimately, inevitably, fuck each other over and ruin everything because they all want to be the guy on top when the smoke clears.

So this idea that they're just going to be a bunch of dudes hired to strap on some Oscorp gear and do a job doesn't appeal to me at all.

So this idea that they're just going to be a bunch of dudes hired to strap on some Oscorp gear and do a job doesn't appeal to me at all.

Agree as far as Doc Ock and Owl are concerned, and there was definitely some of that going on with Electro in the final stretch of ASM 2. But I did like the 

Rhino reveal at the end. That jibes with my vision of Rhino as a kid: a monstrous yet moronic henchman who wasn't quite a villain on par with the top tier rogues gallery.

Agree as far as Doc Ock and Owl are concerned, and there was definitely some of that going on with Electro in the final stretch of ASM 2. But I did like the 

Rhino reveal at the end. That jibes with my vision of Rhino as a kid: a monstrous yet moronic henchman who wasn't quite a villain on par with the top tier rogues gallery.

I disagree with your spoiler

I think Rhino is one of those characters like Galactus that should never be in the movies because he's just to Comic Booky, just putting him in a mech suit blows to me.  I also didn't like the Goblin makeup...the armor was fine, but really, that was silly, even though the actor did an excellent job and the whole goblin story seemed hot-shotted to me.

Just got home from watching ASM 2. Can't really add much else to what Eva already said. Thought Jamie Foxx was really damn good as Electro and really deserved a movie by himself instead of basically being a henchman to Harry. Kinda wished the Peter/Harry stuff had started in the first one so that everything wasn't so damn compressed.

Here's some unused concept art from AS-M 2:

http://geektyrant.com/news/alternate-designs-for-rhino-spider-man-and-green-goblin-in-amazing-spider-man-2

The Spider-Man costumes are pretty interesting, but the one they used for the film was perfectly fine.

The Rhino suits seem extremely elaborate.

I like the Green Goblin suit more than the one they used in the film, but I overall would have preferred a more traditional approach.

This movie was complete bullshit, much like the first one, but it just looked prettier. They basically polished a turd. Also, with the awesome timeliness, io9 completely sums up what's fucking dumb about this movie. It's one of the best takedowns of a movie I've read:

http://io9.com/the-amazing-spider-man-2-the-amazing-spoiler-faq-1572405038

• Like 1