DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm sitting here watching RAW from July 31, 1995, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley comes out to face Jeff Hardy in a three-minute squash, which is of course amazing considering that they would wrestle over the WWE Championship about fourteen years later on PPV. 

My question is whether there are other TV matches where two guys wrestle years before they would blow up and main event against one another. I'd love to see some of them. I'm really talking more about matches where one or both of the wrestlers wasn't a guy that one would have expected to blow up and be that prominent years later. 

Post like this remind me that this board has a million amazing ideas that would work so well on the network.

I don't think WWE is worried about Kayfabe on the network, so a show called like "First Encounters" (i don't work in media, I know that name is poop) showing these types of matches would be cool and probably eye opening for a lot of fans, me included. Or even showing some guys as enchancment talent.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned JAPW.  For anyone who was there:  Any thoughts on the Necro/Hooligans vs. Viking War Party match?  All but Necro are Midwest guys and I was wanting to know how they did.

I thought it was pretty fun. Just a wild brawl. Reminiscent of 80's WWC. Lots of fighting in the crowd and in the stands. Brody-esque.

Hogan tossing the Giant off Cobo Hall, losing the gold to him by Jimmy Hart screwjob (and only after getting a visual pinfall first), then beating him at every other turn (including that pretty good, but stupidly-booked cage match where he beat the Giant cleanly, beat up the rest of the DoD in a one-on-nine situation, only being held apart from beating up his next new feud, Loch Ness/Giant Haystacks) is probably the best example of Hogan being uncharitable to another person.

It took Flair losing the gold cleanly to Giant and Giant pretty much having Macho Man beat dead to rights in another title match to really make him look like a monster (and also that awesome Giant/Luger match at GAB '96 where it was sold as Giant fixing to kill Luger, and even though Luger showed heart, Giant ended up doing exactly that). Of course, then Hogan beat the Giant again a few months later for the gold and had him selling the legdrop for like twenty minutes in the ring.

Viking War Party in King Of Trios would be fun.

Hooligans could have fit into that as well.  They used to have a smaller partner who went by Neil Diamond Cutter who was basically the Spike to their Buh-Buh/Devon...he hasn't wrestled in a few years, though.

It was my first time seeing the Viking War Party but they have a great schtick. I love how they pummel each other during their entrance. One of the JAPW bookers was praising them pretty heavily during the match. I'd definitely like to see more of them. I don't watch Chikara anymore but they'd fit right in a KOT for sure.

Also on the show was a very pissed off Kurt Angle who was apparently ready to legitimately fight Teddy Hart ringside during the main event. 

Have known Alexandre Rudolph(the taller guy with the long-ass hair) since he was a fan at local indy shows; he was really stoked to be on a show of that magnitude with a lot of big names.  Jake Parnell(the smallest of the three) is relatively new and has only been wrestling a bit over a year.  Not as familiar with Frank Wyatt as he's more of a central Illinois guy, but he works SICW fairly regularly.  Larry Matysik dubbed him "Frankie The Thumper" since he resembles Terry Funk's movie character.

• Like 1

Back to Hogan in 94-95 WCW:

3.) The Brutus thing is amazing. A masked man attacks him for a while, he finally gets his hands on him and legdrops him, in the middle of the ring, after a match. Once he has the guy completely at his mercy, he unmasks him and it's Bruti. But by this point he already legdropped him. The heat was already blown off, basically. It was insane. It's probably the worst build for a match I can imagine.

I think the general point is spot-on, but, in Hogan's defense, killing Brutus' heat is either a victimless crime or a public service, depending how charitable you feel.

Early 90's WCW is one of my favorite stretches of any promotion.  My enjoyment of it stopped dead in its tracks the day Hogan came in.

• Like 5

He'd let guys (from Perfect destroying the belt, to Slaughter throwing the fireball, to Earthquake taking him out) get heat on him in WWF in a way he never would in WCW.

How much of the difference between WWF Hogan and WCW Hogan is Hogan's personal insecurity regarding his age (and the fact that Vince basically decided he was done as a main eventer) and how much is the fact that Vince wasn't gonna let Hogan book himself like Bischoff did?

• Like 1

Speaking of Hogan, I just finally saw Hogan's birthday skit on RAW today, and Paul Orndorff coming out to the operatic "Wonderful" theme, tweaking his handlebar mustache, and then demanding and getting a kiss from Natalya is one of the best things that I've seen on television all year. I watched just that part on repeat like five times in a row. 

• Like 1

He'd let guys (from Perfect destroying the belt, to Slaughter throwing the fireball, to Earthquake taking him out) get heat on him in WWF in a way he never would in WCW.

How much of the difference between WWF Hogan and WCW Hogan is Hogan's personal insecurity regarding his age (and the fact that Vince basically decided he was done as a main eventer) and how much is the fact that Vince wasn't gonna let Hogan book himself like Bischoff did?

Also, don't sleep on the fact that Hogan had, um, lost a lot of weight for some weird reason that surely had nothing to do with federal probing. I'm sure that in addition to his age (especially given the WWF New Generation tagline and the Billionaire Ted sketches) it was a factor that he was much smaller cosmetically

I really don't see how someone can say WCW didn't try their hardest to make Hulkamania '83 (or whatever year you wanna peg as the peak) happen again. They were the original TNA in that regard.

Also, I hate ironman matches. Very few guys can be interesting or have the chemistry not to suck it up for 15 minutes. Force feeding a match as epoch is a total waste time for everyone involved.

Tho if Barrett and Sheamus were given 30 minutes in an I Quit match, I really don't think much of the free world would survive that. Those assholes would probably be charged with manslaughter or something.

I think the match with Yokozuna drove him off the deep end. He was never going to allow himself to be in that type of situation again.

If he had not went to WCW, I do think Vince would have gotten desperate and given him whatever he wanted.

Per Dana White, Brock Lesnar is interested in fighting again and they are trying to put it together. It's a horrible idea for Brock...he didn't like getting punched and looked weak at the end of his run (injured or not injured). Also hurts his marketability with his lucrative part-time gig if he goes down again. Not a fan of this.

Per Dana White, Brock Lesnar is interested in fighting again and they are trying to put it together. It's a horrible idea for Brock...he didn't like getting punched and looked weak at the end of his run (injured or not injured). Also hurts his marketability with his lucrative part-time gig if he goes down again. Not a fan of this.

Diverticulitis had something to do with that.

Besides, it is not like he is doing anything in the WWE.

• Like 1

Diverticulitis had something to do with that.

Besides, it is not like he is doing anything in the WWE.

Right, which is why I said "injured or not injured", the perception was that he was weak in losing to Velasquez and Overeem. Not sure it is worth it at 37. Could have a sweet part time gig with WWE screwed over some caveman "me fight for real" shit.