DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I watched the show last night and holy shit you guys Dario Cueto is the god damn best.  Like I knew he was awesome already but he kicked it up a notch.  His interactions with Aero Star and Drago were top notch and I thought that would be the extent of it, but then he took over as the ring announcer and HOLEEEEEEEE FUCK he was the best thing on TV this week.  He deserves an Emmy. 

Can I just point out I love you guys and the LU talk that goes down here?

I'll tell you why I loved the Pentagon Jr. angle & I saw someone touched on it already (Cubs?)... it wasn't that typical wrestling bullshit angle where someone is "trapped in the ring". You know, that ring with ropes & multiple ways of escaping? Melissa was actively trying to get the fuck out of that ring as if her life depended on it so Pentagon had to always have a hand on her or be yanking her hair/feet as she scrambled to escape. Plus there was her screaming. A legit shock moment with a genuine crowd reaction and everyone playing their role perfect. And I'll bet it won't be forgotten next week & they won't be joking about it either in promos or on commentary. Just a tremendous angle. Maybe my favorite so far on the show.

I loved that the first thing she tried to do, once she got free, was scurry out of the ring under the bottom rope. Too many times, we see the "trapped in the ring" scene and the trapped person makes no real effort to escape. I loved that we got the sense that she was in real danger. It's the small stuff that LU does that sets it above the other promotions. 

I'll tell you why I loved the Pentagon Jr. angle & I saw someone touched on it already (Cubs?)... it wasn't that typical wrestling bullshit angle where someone is "trapped in the ring". You know, that ring with ropes & multiple ways of escaping? Melissa was actively trying to get the fuck out of that ring as if her life depended on it so Pentagon had to always have a hand on her or be yanking her hair/feet as she scrambled to escape. Plus there was her screaming. A legit shock moment with a genuine crowd reaction and everyone playing their role perfect. And I'll bet it won't be forgotten next week & they won't be joking about it either in promos or on commentary. Just a tremendous angle. Maybe my favorite so far on the show.

I loved it too, because of the aspects you noted above, and also because I truly respected the way they met Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity head-on.  The man is a heel and I think it's high time that wrestling heels went back to being people you feared and hated, instead of cool guys you could cheer because you're a rebel.  What Pentagon did was *wrong* and everyone reacted accordingly.  Pentagon vs Prince Puma could be the biggest main event they've ever had.

Another awesome thing that happened: Friend and I always poke fun at "THE MACHINE, CAGE" because a cage isn't a frickin' machine and they should've gone with a different name if they wanted to play up the machine stuff so damned much. Anyway, we started doing the "THA MACHINE THEY CALL CAAAAGE" to Sting's old WCW theme song tune before the show started. Then Striker sang it. And we slowly looked at each other and burst out in laughter. I love this show. Even outside of that, I thought Striker was at his most tolerable in this week's episode.

• Like 1

I loved it too, because of the aspects you noted above, and also because I truly respected the way they met Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity head-on. The man is a heel and I think it's high time that wrestling heels went back to being people you feared and hated, instead of cool guys you could cheer because you're a rebel. What Pentagon did was *wrong* and everyone reacted accordingly. Pentagon vs Prince Puma could be the biggest main event they've ever had.

Pentagon Jr was getting cheered by the crowd at the beginning of the segment. 45 seconds later, they were chanting puto at him. Well done.

I loved it too, because of the aspects you noted above, and also because I truly respected the way they met Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity head-on. The man is a heel and I think it's high time that wrestling heels went back to being people you feared and hated, instead of cool guys you could cheer because you're a rebel. What Pentagon did was *wrong* and everyone reacted accordingly. Pentagon vs Prince Puma could be the biggest main event they've ever had.

Pentagon Jr was getting cheered by the crowd at the beginning of the segment. 45 seconds later, they were chanting puto at him. Well done.

If it was in nyc or philly, he prob still would have been cheered.

Based on this week's episode is Vampiro storyline dating the ring announcer or just doesn't want to see Pentagon attack another woman besides Sexy Star?

Also does anyone know where you can buy a Lucha Undeground Hat or T shirt?

There are plenty of photos on Twitter of Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at LU's Ultima Lucha season finale taping. Without spoiling anything, there are rumors floating around that an extra broadcaster was needed for the show. Jim Ross was being considered, but was Schiavello the guy they ended up using?

Man, it sucks because it really is the only thing I would change about the promotion.

I want flex fit hats

I want masks

I want posters

I want a Mil Muertes shirt, which NOBODY sells

I want giant Cero Miedo foam hands

I want Pentagon Jr. condoms that are empty packages because Cero Miedo

• Like 3

My theories have been

- they always thought they were going to get a merchandise deal and held back holding selling their own to not flood the market

- the people in charge are a TV company (which probably doesn't sell merchandise outside of DVDs) and AAA (who aren't so great with merch itself)

I feel like I've become too vociferous a fan to be taken seriously for some of my actual good ideas at this point (the condoms are a joke) but really do feel like there's at least enough of a market out there for a limited run of some of the stuff I mentioned

I think Johnny Mundo released a t-shirt thru the prowrestlingtees service. You'd think someone at Lucha Underground would see Pentagon Jr. and Hijo del Fantasma coming up with some cool looking shirts and think they should make those available to a larger audience.

I do prefer hearing people tell me about getting t-shirts in the parking lot from them though.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was possible for Pentagon, Jr. to not get cheered.  He's the coolest mofo around and deserves all kinds of praise.  But even knowing about it beforehand it was really uncomfortable to watch.  Also didn't help my wife was watching it with me.  The way he ragdolled her was unsettling to say the least and there's no way anybody should cheer that.  It's a little reassuring that she's a wrestler but man they pulled that off exactly as expected.  Brilliant job all-around.

In that segment alone Pentagon, Jr. became the best heel on American wrestling TV.  There are guys like Sheamus who are hitting the right notes but it's still more "that's great heeling!"  With that segment no matter how jaded a fan I can be at times I really wanted somebody to just come in and stop that.  Vampiro had that desperate look like "I don't know if I can hang, but fuck if nobody's doing something I will."  I'm still not a fan of Sexy Star but this feud might be the thing that gets closer to being one.