DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

The story with her is apparently WWE had another Asian girl on the roster and Vince felt "we already have one of those" so she got cut. Legit.

Kinda puts into context the whole idea how WWE has been looking for "a Hispanic star" all these years. Just one! Can't have more than one because that may confuse the fans who can't tell any people apart unless they're white. Next thing you know Vince & Hunter will be putting all the black guys together in some sort of stereotypical group...

• Like 2

Uhaa have no hope......

Any update on these Meltzer rumors? They sound misguided or misinterpreted. I remember Meltzer stating the show might be in trouble because they didn't air on Christmas eve and Nye, that one went right over his head.

The story with her is apparently WWE had another Asian girl on the roster and Vince felt "we already have one of those" so she got cut. Legit.

Kinda puts into context the whole idea how WWE has been looking for "a Hispanic star" all these years. Just one! Can't have more than one because that may confuse the fans who can't tell any people apart unless they're white. Next thing you know Vince & Hunter will be putting all the black guys together in some sort of stereotypical group...

And have them feud with the only other black tag team on the roster.

Uhaa have no hope......

Any update on these Meltzer rumors? They sound misguided or misinterpreted. I remember Meltzer stating the show might be in trouble because they didn't air on Christmas eve and Nye, that one went right over his head.

Allegedly, the show will be put on hold for a while because the LU showrunner is also the showrunner for the Apprentice. They're to recommence afterwards.

From the moment the show was figured out, before they started shooting, there was always supposed to be a break. Not just for this year, but the plan for every year is 39-40 weeks on, 12-13 weeks off. (The exact break might be shorter than that depending on how they figure in those two weeks they took off because they fell on holidays.) And, because they tape about a month every weekend, there was also always going to be a huge spring/summer taping break.

It's unclear to me if Dave/Court are unaware of this, forgot about it, or if they're suggesting the break will be longer than that. Dave mentioning it in audio and not writing about it was strange. (I guess I could ask! Eh.) But the idea that someone's going to be busy doing something else and so they're not going to be available for a while - well, everyone's going to be doing something else, because no one's going to be paid all that much until September or whenever they're back in front of cameras again.

AND the whole idea is "there's going to be a longer break before they come back for more episodes" would seem contingent on them actually coming back for new episodes. I hope they will and know nothing that would indicate they're not, but no one in charge has said season 2 is on. And maybe this is me typically overreading things, but it doesn't seem like the people on the working on the show are keeping a renewal secret - they're waiting for word too.

If Lucha Underground is safely coming back, it'd make sense to make that announcement sometime before the last set of tapings next week. It gets a bit more iffy if they're done taping and it's still an open question - once people start to scatter to the wind, then you definitely do have production people filling their calendars with firm projects instead of just twiddling thumbs. Really, El Rey's almost obligated to say something positive just so they don't cause months of TV to come off as irrelevant. OTOH, if they're holding out for some miraculous/implausible move to Univision to fund it, then maybe they can't say anything until it plays out.

if you're a person who likes the show but not trying to figure the business out: no matter what's going on, the show is airing into August - and by then, we'll surely know what the deal is.

Geez, if Lucha Underground doesn't get picked up for another season I'll be really disappointed.  I enjoy so much of El Rey's general product, but on LU is appointment viewing for me and without the commercials for their other movies and shows the whole network will slip from my memory pretty quickly.

So when a friend of mine asked for tickets for the final set of tapings he messed something up and got asked nicely not to do it again next time. Would they say that if they didn't know there would be a next time?

If the crew was to sign on to other stuff, they'd replace them immediately.  You have no idea how many people really really want to work on this show, myself included.

Going to have to make an awesome sign involving Pentagon Jr. murdering various people for UltimaLucha

If any of you used to go to AWS shows and remember the guy who made the crazy signs for the LA F'Ers that was me

I got about 30 retweets for mine - it was crazy.

This week's show was pretty good at times, but definitely questionable at times too.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/41994-lucha-underground-4-8-15-tv-report-prince-puma-vs-king-cuerno-title-match-super-fly-vs-sexy-star-mask-vs-mask

Screens -

dc63ef402550917.jpg

6eba99402552368.jpg

6df58d402552390.jpg

2957b2402552406.jpg

64ef8e402552492.jpg

d21e09402552955.jpg

f33863402555265.jpg

ecbe4f402555267.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/t4p0pkwgpvuv8yyj0emexv0uj2uca1p3

I had no issue with the mask loss in general. Just cross-correcting things so AAA/LU match up a bit more and futhering the story of Dario being a dick. My issue was more them giving the mask to Sexy Star of all people who really is the only charachter on the show I am not digging at all. Putting her out there after Ivelisse totally exposed her offense. Ivelisse looked fantastic and Sexy Star was just soooooooooooooooo slow. It wasn't a good match and then they cut away so quickly after Pentagon's attack. I could have lived without all this to be honest.

But aside from that show was great. That opener was wild! Loved the stories woven into the match with everyone mad at each other. Fenix playing peacemaker! ELL - OH - ELL! That's a super troll job by the LU writers. That flying elbow to the floor spot looked like it legit murdered Angelico. Poor guy. Trios tourney is 2 for 2!

Main had a rough moment or two but I enjoyed it. What was Mundo thinking? He's lucky he didn't get concussed on that dive. The caught dive spot into a neckbreaker was legit insane. Spots like that will do everything to win my heart.

Really hyped for the trios tournament match next week and maybe the Aero Star/Drago finale?

The running theme of the opening match was all the offense against Angelico targeting the head and the Flying elbow on him was spot of the night until the neckbreaker on the outside of the ring which took the honor this week. More thoughts later.

I love how a lot of the people complaining about Super Fly losing his mask arent big enough fans to know he already lost it in the first place.

The only part that mattered was Pentagon running wild and it only gets more awesome from here on out

I'm blaming my head cold for last night's dream about Pentagon/Star/Superfly in a trios match that somehow led to Pentagon turning face at the end.

Thought this episode was pretty great.

The trios match was just so, so fun. Three of the best babyface highflyers just getting to bounce and flip around the story heavy Rudo trio was a great combination. The idea of 'main event' and 'midcard' almost doesn't apply to Lucha Underground because everyone's stories are well told and everyone gets the chance to matter. Anyone in the Love Triangle trios team could get a shot at Puma next week and I'd completely buy it.

Moving into Sexy Star vs. Superfly...If this were WWE, Vince (who supposedly hates wrestling for wrestlings sake) would just have these three fight each other 46,000 times with no stakes and who cares. However, LU gives the match weight with Dario Cuerto saying 'yeah, there's no real reason for you guys to fight so I'm forcing one on you.' It's so simple and effective and it makes a filler match life and death important for both characters.

I don't think there is a single fighter on the roster I get tired of seeing: When King Cuerno rolled out with Cage and Texano as his partners I actually stood up and went OHH SHIT. These two aren't Kane and Big Show: LU has made them look like world killers and it's a big deal that they've teamed with Cuerno. Texano's losses to El Patron haven't made him look weak so much as they make El Patron look top shelf, so you combine a proven bad ass like Cuerno with a guy Puma barely survived in Cage and team them with a world class champion with something to prove? That's a combination I am invested in the good guys trying to survive. I honestly don't think they can. It's nice to feel like a kid that is worried Earthquake is gonna jump on a snake and then break someone's ribs.

On the other end, Puma gets a championship upgrade with his sweet new puma hoodie, and his very first opponent steps in to have his back. Konnan doesn't want Puma trusting Johnny Mundo, but a lot of people don't think Puma should be trusting Konnan. I'm even interested in how Hernandez plays into this. Are he and Konnan still friends from the LAX days? The tecnico alliance is paper thin, and for compelling reasons beyond 'one time you punched me by accident.' 

• Like 1