DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier just work very well because they are so distinct in terms of plot and visually from a lot of the other MCU.  To me it just shows that not all these movies are the same and how cool these movies are because each one can encompass a different genre.

Winter Soldier works perfectly because we finally get a story with showing how cool Cap is as a super soldier.  His abilities and fighting skills are on full display this time.  And we finally get the story of him dealing with being in the present day, which we don't really get in the First Avenger.  First Avenger works fine as an origin story, but you are basically waiting the whole movie for him to get unthawed and fight with the Avengers.

Guardians of the Galaxy is just a fun space opera that's shot basically exactly like a 1980s George Lucas/Robert Zemeckis/Steven Spielberg popcorn movie.  It feels just like that aesthetic except it has pop music and some modern references.  

I think when people started saying Guardians is Star Wars for the new generation shit got a little crazy. I think the Star Wars franchise has proven that it's still Star Wars. That's not a knock on Guardians of the Galaxy at all because it's an awesome movie and the cast and characters worked extremely well.  The villain was terrible but that's always been a thing with the MCU with the exception of Loki.

The Winter Soldier is a tremendous action/thriller comic. Depending on how you view the ending it could be near a perfect score. 

I thin if Civil War knocks this out of the park then it's possible it could be the second best comic trilogy behind Nolan. I can't imagine placing it above Nolan because Batman Begins is a great movie on the level of Winter Soldier and The Dark Knight is a movie that could have easily been in the Best Picture discussion.

Let me be clear.  Guardians of the Galaxy is not Star Wars for a new generation.  But there's a certain aesthetic and style to those films and films we love in the 1980s that is rather lacking in a lot of films today.  GOTG has a similar aesthetic.  

Back to the Future is not Star Wars, but don't you get similar feelings watching Back to the Future or Indiana Jones that you get watching Star Wars?  

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The villain was terrible but that's always been a thing with the MCU with the exception of Loki.

Honestly? Even that has a lot to do with getting multiple films. He was a mess in Thor with unclear motivations and contradictory actions as a result. Played well but written terribly. 

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But there was an Indiana Jones movie eight years ago... ;)

Uh, no. There wasn't. :P

I don't know, I'd have to go back and watch Thor again but I felt they handled Loki well. Or at least much better than a Ronan or Malekith or the generic businessmen.

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Honestly? Even that has a lot to do with getting multiple films. He was a mess in Thor with unclear motivations and contradictory actions as a result. Played well but written terribly. 

He's supposed to be conflicted. He's torn between admiring his perfect (not perfect) brother and being jealous of him. His actions are contradictory because his mind is all over the place, and he only embraces villainy after finding out he's actually a Frost Giant and then being rejected by Mjolnir... and even then, he's not fully committed to the "I am EVIL now!" approach, even in subsequent appearances.

On 3/29/2016 at 7:49 AM, J.T. said:

Watched AoU yesterday while helping my kid with her homework via Skype.  For all of the backlash against "Nolanism" and comic book stories being unnecessarily dark and foreboding, I think that AoU would've been 100000% better if Ultron had kept the sinister tone displayed the trailers.  

I think that lightening Ultron up with gallows humor did him a bit of a disservice.  He should've been played straight.  Ultron being driven by father issues and the cruel calculus of worldwide genocide for the sake of world peace would've been far more effective.

On 4/5/2016 at 8:45 AM, nate said:

I like Spader's work on Ultron, but I always read his stories with a grating metallic screeching voice, like Skeletor in the cartoons, maybe even some decibel of the Judge Doom reveal.

Ultron having a normal human voice and lips...fucking LIPS...were both really bad decisions. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily - just watched Ant Man this weekend too so now my wife and I are all caught up when we are finally able to get to theater to see Civil War in like 6 months

I guess if I was ranking them it would be

1. Winter Soldier
  2. Guardians
  3. Avengers 2
  4. Ant-Man
  5. IM3
  6. Thor 2

I don't know why I didn't like Ant-Man more. I have a feeling I will probably like it more on rewatch. 

(Obviously that is just Phase 2 stuff. God I dont even want to rank 1 & 2 yet)

Edited by RIPPA
  • Like 1

Ant-Man is still probably my least favorite MCU film.  Don't hate it or anything, I'm still just not crazy about many of the creative choices, a weak retread of a villain...and old man Hank Pym.

Also this Hope van Dyne crap.

Ant-Man (2015) along with Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and Iron Man 3 (2013) are the MCU films which generate the most differences of opinion. I really enjoyed Ant-Man because origin stories are a favourite of mine and stories when the hero either mentors their replacement be it apprentice/friend, if the hero is dead and the replacement carries on the name in tribute or if the hero is replaced by their villain.

I like how in the MCU Dr. Hank Pym was a superhero, has given it up, has aged and now advises Scott Lang, the new Ant-Man. Dr. Hank Pym is my Ant-Man and that’s nearly all down to Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and the very few comic books I’ve read with him in.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:33 PM, TheVileOne said:

Ant-Man is still probably my least favorite MCU film.  Don't hate it or anything, I'm still just not crazy about many of the creative choices, a weak retread of a villain...and old man Hank Pym.

Also this Hope van Dyne crap.

Sorry, dude.  I liked Ant-Man a lot because it was a very personal super hero movie.  Hope was angry with her father because she felt that it should be her inheriting the family super hero tradition instead of some stranger. 

Pym was trying to protect a daughter that did not need protecting because he didn't want her to suffer the same fate his wife did.

And then there was Scott; an ex-con with a heart of gold and a divorced dad doing his best to resist the pull of his former life of crime and reconnect with his kid.  So desperate to prove that he can earn an honest buck that he suffers through a 9 to 5 at a doughnut shop.

Lots and lots of awesome real life shit going on in the middle of a super hero movie that made the characters feel very real, even in a setting with tiny dudes in powered armor and tanks that can fit on key chains.

Yellowjacket could've used some work, though.  Yet another villain suffering from daddy issues and megalomania just like Loki and Ultron.  Where are the B-List villains like Beetle or Boomerang that are just out to make money?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Shane Black on THAT twist in Iron Man 3:

While many fans were up in arms over Shane Black's Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3, it's safe to say that the moment was shocking. Sir Ben Kingsley had teased such a menacing performance in the trailers for the film, so when it was revealed that he was merely a washed-up actor named Trevor Slattery (with the 'real' Mandarin being Guy Pierce's Alrich Killian), there were numerous negative reactions. In an interview with IGN, director Shane Black elaborated on why he made the decision to alter Iron Man's foe. “We may have done our job a bit too well in a way because we succeeded in actually having a surprise in the middle of a big summer movie where you normally know virtually everything about it before you go in” he explained. “And when I say we did our job too well it meant some of the fans felt fooled. They felt I think that they'd been led down one path and then sold a bill of goods. It's hard. Because I want to please the fans... but in this case I thought and we all thought that it was just a very interesting and very layered decision to take the Mandarin [in]."

Iron Man 2 had also made the decision to alter one of Iron Man's classic foes, merging Whiplash with elements of the Crimson Dynamo. Black looked to this creative decision when altering the Mandarin, wishing to push the boundaries a little further when reimagining the villain for a modern era. “We had this think tank – A.I.M. – from the comics and ‘OK, what if this was a cobbled together sort of boogeyman?' That they'd researched - they actually had data spit out about the various things that people would find frightening and they would concoct from this. This sort of straw man terrorist. This paper tiger. And then push him on the internet. I thought that felt modern, it felt interesting, it felt textured. I thought to myself, ‘Hey Whiplash in Iron Man 2 – he doesn't look like Whiplash in the comics, people like it when you trade up and kind of shake it up a little.’ And the truth is people did – I mean we made a lot of money with the movie, but there is a hardcore niche of fandom that was genuinely disappointed; they wanted to see their version. And for that I feel bad. I still like the choice we made.”

Of course, due to the overwhemingly poor reception to the twist, Marvel 'apologized' to fans by creating All Hail The King, a short film featuring Kingsley's character in which it was revealed there was a "real Mandarin" out there somewhere. When Black was asked if he would adapt the character more faithfully if given another opportunity, he firmly stood by his original choice. “Of course not,” came the response. “The minute you start to govern your creative impulses based on anticipation of someone else's response or their expectations then you're going to fail. You're going to fail them too. Because you're not going to surprise anybody – you’re going to be busy second-guessing what other people want and indulging that people-pleasing side of yourself.”

Credit: cocmicbookmovie.com

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier this week reminded me what a great job by Ed Brubaker/Steve Epting bringing Bucky Barnes back in the comics dead for so long and the writing/performance/direction of the character in the movie. The Winter Soldier's look in film is similar to how he first appeared in the source material. The only difference is the googles/face cover (which I prefer) and removing the cable from the bionic arm.

captainamerica25342dcde402fd-682x1024.jpg

Image result for the winter soldier bucky barnes 2014

Such a great adaptation.