DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

Here is something matt and i were just talking about, so I will throw it out here.

Is Marvel/Disney powerful enough to prevent theaters from showing the Superman/Batman trailer before the Avengers movie?

It played when I saw it. Along with Ant-Man, Star Wars, and Southpaw.

Ours was BvS, AntMan, Fantastic Four, Tomorrowland, & Insidious3..

• Like 1

Saw it twice yesterday due to family reasons. Once was 3D, once wasn't. The 3D one had Star Wars and BvS. The 2D one had neither, but had Tomorrowland and MI instead. Both had Ant Man, Fantastic Four, Pixels, and Jurassic World

Here is something matt and i were just talking about, so I will throw it out here.

Is Marvel/Disney powerful enough to prevent theaters from showing the Superman/Batman trailer before the Avengers movie?

It played when I saw it. Along with Ant-Man, Star Wars, and Southpaw.

Ours was BvS, AntMan, Fantastic Four, Tomorrowland, & Insidious3..
On, Fantastic Four and Jurassic World were in front of mine too. I just block them out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Mission Impossible. Damn, there was a lot of trailers.

When I saw it Thursday, however, zero trailers at all. It was bizarre.

Wait, was Jurassic World there too? I think maybe it was. And I might have missed a trailer, getting there a few minutes late.

Holy hell there really were a lot of trailers.

I've rewatched Captain America: the First Avenger and Avengers this last week, and it is an amazing joy to get to spend any time with this movie version of Cap. He's easily the best translation of any comic book character to the screen, as a character. As a physical presence, maybe he's just a little bit too strong, when Cap in the comics was always peak human with the ability and skill to redirect his enemy's power against him. But past that he's perfect and he's everything that superhero comics should be, their very, very best. 

Considering the other "Ultimate" elements that made it into the movie, albeit in a softened, more heroic, BETTER way, we're so lucky that Marvel had the vision and the faith in their character and their potential audience to go with so iconic and genuine a take.

• Like 2

Cap in AVENGERS was a little over-powered, with the GA Superman jumping abilities, etc., but that might just be some wonky effects work.

I'll say again, The Vision is the best Superman in the past 15 years.

They seem to have gone with Cap's power level somewhere between his 616 "peak human ability" level and the ultimate universe "can brawl with Hulk and throw cars" level.

But, yeah, it's no coincidence that the four movies Cap is in top my list of the MCU.

With the Avengers lineup after Age of Ultron it'll make Cap even more so the leader of the group with the shakeup of the team lineup now.  I mean before he was the guy leading them in the field and all that jazz but it was more of a group of equals with Iron Man and Thor basically experienced vets also.  But with the new lineup he'll be more of a mentor type.

I will rank the characters in a second but on the discussion of trailers we got there a few minutes late and saw Terminator, San Andreas, Tomorrowland, Fantastic Four and that movie with Adam Sandler and the Nintendo characters.

*SPOILERS BELOW POSSIBLY*

Okay now to the Avengers power ranking.. 

1.  Captain America -  I love everything they've done with him. A little too much with the one liners at times and that's a slight criticism I have on Thor also but otherwise he's damn near the perfect Cap. He represents everything you want to see out of Captain America and it's no coincidence that Winter Soldier is the best film of the MCU and Civil War is my most anticipated.

2. Iron Man - Now this is tricky because I fucking hated the Iron Man sequels but that is no fault of Tony Stark.  Yes, I would love for him to be held accountable. Joss began to touch on that, maybe Civil War will go deeper into it..  but the character is straight from the panel to the set. He's the glue that holds it all together. Downey is incredible. Iron Man was a really good movie too.

3. The Hulk - Okay so only one solo movie so far and it was so-so at best but he steals the show every time he's on screen in the Avengers movies, last time with Loki, this time the fight with Iron Man and Ruffalo is REALLY fucking good and I really want to see him have a solo joint.

4. Black Widow - I've actually seen places where they hate this Black Widow but I don't get it. Forget Scarlett being hot as hell, she rules. I liked the scenes with Banner from this past Avengers. I loved the interrogation scene with her. She was tremendous in Winter Soldier. She's had some pretty kick-ass action scenes overall. 

5. War Machine - Talk about doing so much with so little screen time. I liked Terrance Howard but I LOVE Don Cheadle. His scenes in Age of Ultron were show stealing. He was so satisfied that the story got over the second time. Also, uh, Iron Patriot. Hello.  We need more Don fucking Cheadle.

6. Hawkeye - I didn't like him at all up until the second half of Age of Ultron. Too wooden. Too much of a jobber. Boring. Boring.  BUT unlike some dudes on the board, I love Renner and I thought he was really great from the time they visit his safe house on.. 

7. Thor - I have some issues with this Thor.  Okay, I love Hemsworth. Great look. Great size. I sound like McMahon. He's really funny too and he's great when he's sitting around bullshitting with everyone but in battle...  NO.  He's is a fucking God. They have powered him down so much and honestly I can't remember any really cool things he's done.  Plus, both his solo movies were mediocre at best. I need Thor to step it up.

Non-Ranked - Vision, Scarlett Witch and Falcon. They all have potential but it's too early.

I liked it. It was moving so quickly during the first act I was a little worried, but it found it's footing with the character stuff at the safe house. Spader was fun, but we've been spoiled by a lot of great actors doing glib, nuanced villains for some time. Like a lot of recent superhero movies it throws out some ethical questions then wilts in the third act; but again that's a weakness of the medium in general. Even considering all of the moving parts and bridges from other movies, this still felt like a more complete film than the first one.

Someone just pointed out something on Reddit that I didn't notice:

Quicksilver mentions to Ultron that he takes out a picture of his family and looks at it before he fights. Then, before the final fight, Hawkeye takes out a picture of HIS family, and they actually show Quicksilver noticing this! And obviously, Hawkeye's family is still alive and needs to be taken care of, unlike Quicksilver's. Which is probably why he sacrificed his life to save him. Pretty gnarly.

• Like 2

I have a lot to say but no time to say it. Let me touch on one thing now.

Re: Whedon's problems

1. I loved the cabin scene. I think the post-Hulk vs Hulkbuster/pre-final battle stuff in Avengers 2 is way better than the post-Hawkeye attacks Helicarrier/Pre-Final battle stuff in Avengers 1.

2. I have zero problem with THOR GOES TO A CAVE. It felt like a comic book. It was a very Thor thing to do. It was a believable reaction and, in part, the way he was dealing with the defeat. I bought it. It felt like one of those "interludes" you used to have in a comic. It was very "shared universe" but because it picked up on elements that we've already seen before (Heimdall, The gems revealed, Thanos), and because the universe is so damn small, I thought it was fine, and really, the moment of Thor just BEING IN THE ROOM and doing the Frankenstein thing is probably the best in the whole movie, or very close to it. 

Marvel were fools to think that the cabin scene couldn't work and couldn't resonate and wasn't great.

Whedon was short sighted to think that the cave scene couldn't work, absolutely. The MCU is bigger than the sum of its parts, and that big-ness, makes the parts themselves better. Maybe that scene wouldn't have worked in Serenity, but it absolutely worked here.

It's probably because I love Guardians of the Galaxy more than just about anyone else, but I started getting super excited when the Power stone was briefly on screen. I was really hoping they would have showed Peter and the gang, but alas, not this time.

But anyway, this is the Marvel thread, where are all the damn lists!? Haven't re-watched any of the films since the first Avengers movie so my opinion may change if i watched them again but here we go:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Avengers

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Iron Man

Thor: The Dark World

Thor

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Captain America: The First Avenger

Iron Man 3

The top 4 are the hardest to place. I've not watched Avengers in 2 years and I've only seen the other 3 once. Repeated viewings may change my views on those 4 but the rest i think are pretty much where they should be for me. I've also only watched Iron man 3 and the first Captain America film once but that's more because i didn't really enjoy them and have no intention of watching them again any time soon

Glad you called for the tradiitional rank the MCU films lists. Here's mine:

My complete ranking of all the MCU films:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Iron Man (2008)

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

6. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

7. Thor (2011)

8. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

9. Iron Man 3 (2013)

10. Iron Man 2 (2010)

11. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Daredevil is superior to them all.

Top two are locks. I'll see Avengers: Age of Ultron when released on DVD so I can see what a second viewing might do to my opinion of it and its ranking. Still think I've right having Iron Man above Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'm in the group who really likes Captain America: The First Avenger. I could switch it for A: AOU's placement. Thor is an underrated MCU entry.

It's tough for me. I haven't seen Iron Man or Iron Man two in years. 

But I think...

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Avengers

3. Captain America: The First Avenger

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron

5. Captain America: Winter Soldier

6. Thor

7. Iron Man

8. Iron Man 3

9. Incredible Hulk

10. Thor 2

11. Iron Man 2

1 and 2 could be because I've seen Avengers so many times and Guardians less, but I found I liked Guardians more last week when I saw both of them within a few days. Really, any in the top 3 could be my #1. 

After watching AoU last night here is how I would list them (note I've not seen Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk)

1. Guardians if the Galaxy

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Avengers

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron

5. Iron Man

6. Thor 2

7. Captain America: The First Avenger

8. Thor

9. Iron Man 3

I haven't rewatched Winter Soldier since the theater last year and it's really more of a 1b to GotG 1a upon rewatching it I might put it ahead of GotG but that's who my list shakes out right now.

I think I go...

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  4. Iron Man
  5. Avengers (I tend to flip-flop Iron Man and this)
  6. Iron Man 3
  7. Thor
  8. Iron Man 2
  9. Thor 2
  10. Captain America: The First Avenger

Now if we're talking about Marvel properties, Netflix shows included, Daredevil takes the #2 spot.

That said, we are Groot, motherfuckers.