DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK SEVEN

RIPPA

As far as the Seattle coaches not figuring out how to use the guy properly- you shouldn't have to spend hours of your day trying to figure out how to use a receiver you're paying $25mil to.  The guy can't run a route, plain and simple.  They recognized their mistake and unloaded that contract on the Jets. 

This. I don't think the offensive coordinators for guys like Calvin Johnson or AJ Green have to do a whole lot of scheming for those guys. If you can only be productive in tricky schemed up plays then you aren't a guy worth the draft picks or the money that Seattle gave up for Harvin.

On the other hand, the first Sunday in February 2014 makes a mighty strong argument in his favor.

The fact that the score was already 22-0 when he had his big breakout moment of the game makes the argument that he made one meaningless albeit flashy play in a game that was going to be a Seahawks blowout regardless.

I see. I know Peyton statistically is one if all time great QBs, but he one of the most annoying to me. I just think if the 2003 pro bowl and how he blamed the kicker for losing the last game of the season for the Colts. Plus his accent really makes me think of some racist in Alabama circa 1960 yelling a bunch of you know what's. Like he wants people to think he is likable and funny, but he would really throw out of a party for setting in his chair or some stupid shit.

And I love southern accents. :(

I remember Percy Harvin doing quite well at Florida. Of course, I remember that. They wouldn't have won the championship without his performance. Lynch is sad to see him go. He tweeted about it. Irvin also tweeted about it.

It seems that the only one who didn't like him is their game managing QB.  Well, lets see how that Seattle offense looks the rest of the season. Russ is part of the problem. When's the last time he hit someone downfield for a big completion? He's timid anything beyond ten yards..

Russell Wilson's best attribute is his cap hit. Aside from that, and that's huge, you'd have to be on drugs to take him over any of the big young QBs of this era; if you put Cam Newton or Andrew Luck on this exact Seattle team it would be a top 5 offense.

I remember Percy Harvin doing quite well at Florida. Of course, I remember that. They wouldn't have won the championship without his performance. Lynch is sad to see him go. He tweeted about it. Irvin also tweeted about it.

It seems that the only one who didn't like him is their game managing QB.  Well, lets see how that Seattle offense looks the rest of the season. Russ is part of the problem. When's the last time he hit someone downfield for a big completion? He's timid anything beyond ten yards..

You could always watch replays of games from last season.

• Like 1

The black eye he gave Golden Tate says something too.

Harvin is such a dick that he cut in front of the "punch Tate in the face" line.

I read that as Harvin is such a dick that he cut in front of the "punch Tabe in the face" line and was insanely confused.  Tabe is a nice guy!

• Like 1

The black eye he gave Golden Tate says something too.

Harvin is such a dick that he cut in front of the "punch Tate in the face" line.

I read that as Harvin is such a dick that he cut in front of the "punch Tabe in the face" line and was insanely confused.  Tabe is a nice guy!

Hahahaha.  Thanks for the laugh.

It seems that the only one who didn't like him is their game managing QB. Well, lets see how that Seattle offense looks the rest of the season. Russ is part of the problem. When's the last time he hit someone downfield for a big completion? He's timid anything beyond ten yards..

No it doesn't seem that way. The majority of coaches and players everywhere the guy has been have disliked him. The majority of fans who have met the guy dislike him. Apparently two guys like him. And you for some reason. Or is that just a strong dislike of Wilson and the Seahawks shining through?

B0PN7fRCAAAC_oS.jpg

It's cliche to say this now, but I'm still going to need a 30 for 30 documentary on this Florida Gators team one day.  Cooper, Hernandez, and Harvin with Tebow/Urban Meyer leading the way?  There are secrets buried in there somewhere.

I think Cam was on it too.

• Like 2

It seems that the only one who didn't like him is their game managing QB. Well, lets see how that Seattle offense looks the rest of the season. Russ is part of the problem. When's the last time he hit someone downfield for a big completion? He's timid anything beyond ten yards..

No it doesn't seem that way. The majority of coaches and players everywhere the guy has been have disliked him. The majority of fans who have met the guy dislike him. Apparently two guys like him. And you for some reason. Or is that just a strong dislike of Wilson and the Seahawks shining through?

Nah, it's not all Seattle hate. I'm a Florida football fan also so I've been following Harvin for a long time and I get that he's not exactly a great guy but he was the one playmaker on that receiver corps. It should have worked. I think Wilson is a little overrated. He hasn't been asked to do much. Last week he needed to do a lot more than he gave them.

Yeah I'm not going to argue that Wilson is overrated but he seems to have the tools, I think he will get there. Harvin is only a once in a while playmaker though. He's not a good enough fundamental receiver to really make a lasting impact for an offense or be consistent enough for a quarterback to lean on. Of course a guy with his abilities is a great tool to have on your team, just not being paid as a number one receiver. And not at the expense of cohesion in the locker room.

I think it makes sense as a buisness(money) move.  Cutting your losses and unloading that contract is a pretty big deal.  Not going to disagree on their need for a good receiver though because they do need one.  I don't happen to think Harvin is that guy though.   

So now the Jets, a team that has likely already completely shot themselves in the foot as far as hopes for a playoff spot this season, is going to be saddled with that contract and Harvin's attitude in the locker room, and are going to have to go to the drawing board to come up with gimmick plays for the guy.  And they have such a great history of coming up with gimmick plays for limited ability players (Tebow, Vick).  They should have been content with their room under the cap and chalked this season up as a loss and used it to further develop Geno Smith and taken that checkbook into the offseason to improve their offense. 

I think Harvin would be a good fit for a place with strong people in charge and where he could fill a role.  Maybe New England? The Giants?

Pittsburgh has always done a great job with guys who could do multiple things. Randle El. I can see where Seattle is coming from with the money issue but I'm not sure how big their window is. Maybe they'll be New England and stick around for a decade in contention but probably not. They have a lot of guys who need to be paid. I think it's risky to trade Harvin away and be left with a bunch of question marks. Seattle was looking like the favorite. Right now, I don't know..

Yeah, NE would be a really good fit since they find roles for people and utilize their strengths. 

They're hit and miss with outcast receivers though.  Randy Moss (Yay!) and Chad Johnson (Nah!) are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in their time at New England.

Yeah, NE would be a really good fit since they find roles for people and utilize their strengths. 

They're hit and miss with outcast receivers though.  Randy Moss (Yay!) and Chad Johnson (Nah!) are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in their time at New England.

Well Randy had a lot more left in the tank than johnson. . .