DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

Raul Ibanez, Kevin Cash and Don Wakamatsu are the finalists to be the next manager of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Wasn't Raul Ibanez just, like, playing? Shouldn't you find out if the guy can actually manage first, before handing him the keys to a major league team?

• Like 1

Yeah, MLB has recently decided managerial "experience" isn't really an important thing anymore. I don't really have a problem with that because baseball has a pretty rich history of successful player-managers.

I'm interested in the fact Davey Martinez got skipped over for the job. Before the Pirates hired Hurdle, I thought he was the best managerial prospect in the game. But he keeps getting passed over for jobs so maybe he's a lousy interview or maybe there are things we don't know. It is interesting that they're looking outside the organization - not saying Maddon isn't a great manager (I think he's definitely one of the best) but my dad who lives in Tampa did tell me last year that people were grumbling that the team may have kinda "tuned out" the current regime. Maybe there was something to that.

That tends to happen with most managers/coaches eventually, no matter how good you are. After awhile all the vets have heard all your motivational speeches, all your anecdotes or just know you too well as a person to respect you as the ultimate authority anymore. I love what Maddon did in Tampa, but it was probably time to move on.

The Red Sox have something like seven outfielders on their 40-man, plus now Hanley, Pablo, and Bogaerts. They're probably going to run Hanley into the OF (lol), Sandoval at third, and Bogaerts to short. If I'm the Phillies and Boston wants me to take on the contracts of Cespedes, Craig, and/or SHANF, I'm demanding Bogaerts, Betts, and/or Bradley too.

The Red Sox have plenty of pieces to trade for starting pitching now.

The problem being, of course, that every would be trade partner knows they're looking to/need to make a deal for some starting pitching.

Bummed that Sandoval is gone of course and whoever the new 3B will of course not be as good offensively (and likely not defensively either) but

3 WS wins / 5 years = Impossible to be too upset.  'Twas all worth it while it lasted.

Besides, once the Boston front office starts badmouthing him to the press and the media/fans out there turn on him for it (and for "underperforming") he can always get traded back [in time for the 2018 Black Magic run].

Supposedly - Sandoval has not signed with anyone yet (his agent was yelling this a few hours ago)

He is reportedly making his decision today and Ken Rosenthal said that the Padres have yet to be told that he is going elsewhere.

So I guess there is a chance he is staying somewhere on the West Coast

All this for a guy who hit .279/16/73 last year with a 0.6 dWAR and is almost guaranteed to be another example of Tabe's Fat Guy Theorem in the next few years?

Look at free agency and find one position player worth giving a shit about other then Hanley. Everyone on the list has a big black mark of some sort.

It's why I love the idea of the Cubs rebuild. You can find pitching, but nobody is letting a real solid long term hitter hit free agency anymore. You fight for a guy who can be a 6-7 hitter with solid defense for a couple years, hoping you can make your run at the moment, and that you can hopefully trade off before things really start going downhill for him. Current baseball economics is a fascinating thing.

• Like 1

All this for a guy who hit .279/16/73 last year with a 0.6 dWAR and is almost guaranteed to be another example of Tabe's Fat Guy Theorem in the next few years?

Look at free agency and find one position player worth giving a shit about other then Hanley. Everyone on the list has a big black mark of some sort.

It's why I love the idea of the Cubs rebuild. You can find pitching, but nobody is letting a real solid long term hitter hit free agency anymore. You fight for a guy who can be a 6-7 hitter with solid defense for a couple years, hoping you can make your run at the moment, and that you can hopefully trade off before things really start going downhill for him. Current baseball economics is a fascinating thing.

Especially when you look at it what the Phillies are doing, which is the opposite of what the league is doing.

Did anyone mention the Kyle Seager extension? Because Kyle Seager got an extension, and will probably end up being a better value than either Hanley or Pablo.

7 years, 100 million with an option for an 8th year at 20 million. I'm very happy they've locked him up.