DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Transformers vs GI Joe makes me physically uncomfortable at times. I'm not sure why *this* particular throw-everything-out-and-start-again recontextualization bothers me in a way that other revamps of the properties don't. Maybe it's a bad reaction to bronze-age pastiche, maybe it's the total lack of sympathetic characters as everyone on every side of the conflict acts like a raging dickbag, and most of them seem interchangeable even if they shouldn't. Maybe it's one of those things where Scioli and Barber throw so many ideas at the wall, and then just abandon them, that it feels almost wasteful. But the only way I can describe it is "a great piece of 'art' that I didn't enjoy as a reader."   The creators talked about wanting to make something really transgressive in the guise of a 'toy tie-in comic', and I have to say they've succeeded. I'm just not sure I have any interest in going past that first TPB.

Invincible: Friends. This was interesting. This might be the darkest I can recall the comic has been with what happens to Mark with the rape and the ending this particular arc with the villain petty much winning. I'm not entirely sure what I to think of it though I'm curious to see where things go.

I came VERY close to dropping Invincible after that TPB (or rather, the issues contained in it) but after the three-month hiatus it's moved a little bit off my bubble. it's kind of crazy that just 12 issues ago, the book seemed to be lightening up a little after so many years of doom and torment, and I for one totally fell for it and thought it really was going to be happier for a bit...

just read Spawn #100. 

started reading at Spawn #1 about 6 months ago, but i've been interspersing it with other books (taking long break between arcs and whatnot). 100 really feels like an ending. was completely hooked for the last 10 issues or so. such great stuff.  

will probably take quite a long break before i start with #101. general consensus is that it starts going downhill anytime now, but i guess i'm just gonna have to experience it for myself.

edit: whoa, i just looked back at my post from when i started reading Spawn. it was in April last year. didn't know it's been almost an entire year.

Seriously? Damn. TMNT is going Game Of Thrones.

I just discovered a comic which was first published way back in 2001, Boneyard by Richard Moore. It's basically Night Breed but hilarious. A random young schmuck inherits a haunted cemetery, in which a bunch of old-school Universal-style monsters are living. Moore has an awesome sense of humor, he riffs really well with the tropes of horror. It's kinda like an iZombie which is less pretentious and more focused on just watching the characters interact with each other. When the inevitable zombie uprising happens, everyone is just kinda like "eh... damn zombies... well, we've all seen the same horror movies, you know what to do!" and takes them out in gloriously deadpan-hardcore style.

Today is a day of sadness for TMNT comic fans.

Donatello was killed by Bebop and Rocksteady.

That is surprising. Has that ever happened before in any of the previous comics? Also is the current one any good?

Today is a day of sadness for TMNT comic fans.

Donatello was killed by Bebop and Rocksteady.

That is surprising. Has that ever happened before in any of the previous comics? Also is the current one any good?

They did kill off Splinter in the 4th series from Mirage. But AFAIK this is the first time one of the Turtles died.

Just read "The Life and Times of Savior 28" and, holy fuck, I thought it was brilliant,  

I'm not even a fan of the "real world deconstruction of the Superman trope" approach, even though it's often done very well.  Only picked it up because I'm a DeMatteis fan from way back and somehow missed this when it came out.

Seriously? Damn. TMNT is going Game Of Thrones.

I just discovered a comic which was first published way back in 2001, Boneyard by Richard Moore. It's basically Night Breed but hilarious. A random young schmuck inherits a haunted cemetery, in which a bunch of old-school Universal-style monsters are living. Moore has an awesome sense of humor, he riffs really well with the tropes of horror. It's kinda like an iZombie which is less pretentious and more focused on just watching the characters interact with each other. When the inevitable zombie uprising happens, everyone is just kinda like "eh... damn zombies... well, we've all seen the same horror movies, you know what to do!" and takes them out in gloriously deadpan-hardcore style.

Boneyard started in 2001, but took like 9-10 years to put out 30 issues.

I don't normally buy monthly and just wait for trades but picked up Dying and The Dead coz (1) Hickman (2) Double page count (3) I wasn't too hot on the premise. Anyway, it delivered and I'm suitably intrigued enough to pick up the trade. Really loved differing the colour tones to the various panels and characters, really smart.

On top of that I picked up Fade Out and Zero #2 trades which should keep me going til payday

Really loved the first issues of Descender by Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen and Chrononauts by Mark Millar & Sean Gordon Murphy. Also really dug the first two issues of Ei8ht by Rafael Albuquerque & Mike Johnson. Not sure if it's been mentioned but Wytches by Scott Snyder & Jock is just bananas and the Valiant by Jeff Lemire, Matt Kindt, & Paolo Rivera is really sweet as well. I also got the first three volumes of Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt & really loved them. I share the love for Deadly Class as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nameless #3 was fucking insane....might be Morrison's most out there series i've seen yet.  This is getting into some "Cthulu meets Event Horizon" crazy shit territory.  Or like one character says, "it's like The goddamn Exorcist meets Apollo 13"

And, shoutouts to piranesi in issue 3!

Also, I really love Eric Powell's Big Man Plans!

holy balls, i just finished reading Ed Brubaker's "Fatale" series. this guy is amazing and i've only scratched the surface (i've only read his Batman stuff, Captain America, the Marvels Project [one of my favorite minis ever], and this). looks like "Incognito" will be next.

After the wedding Janice and I ended up with a nice bit of $$ in Amazon cards and I was allowed to use $75 on comics. I picked up Saga Vol1-4, the first Volume of Rat Queens and Volumes 1 & 2 of Lazarus. I was r-reading Saga in volumes 1-3 to get me psyched for Vol4 but I started everything off with Rat Queens and holy hell is that fun book!

It plays to the gamer nerd in me 100%, I mean lord knows I've been in gaming groups with peopel that reflect thee characters. All comics should be tht fun to read

James

holy balls, i just finished reading Ed Brubaker's "Fatale" series. this guy is amazing and i've only scratched the surface (i've only read his Batman stuff, Captain America, the Marvels Project [one of my favorite minis ever], and this). looks like "Incognito" will be next.

Brubaker's DareDevil is great as well

• Like 1

If you liked that you should check out his Criminal series also.

Velvet is also a great book. (What if Moneypenny was also a kickass agent)?

...and Sleeper and his Daredevil and Gotham Central, obviously.

You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Brubaker's DareDevil is great as well

thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Velvet is definitely on my radar, but i'm waiting for it to conclude before jumping in the middle. i read Fatale in 2 parts, about a year apart from each other, and would have rather read it as one big chunk.

Gotham Central was fantastic (duh!). i almost mentioned it, but considered it a part of his Batman run.

Criminal is something i'll add to the list. 

never been a big Daredevil fan, but we'll see what happens.