DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

on a whim i picked up the first issue of "Big Trouble in Little China" yesterday since i love the movie so much.

it was pretty rad. artwork is ok but nothing great. but the writing is RIGHT THERE. they hit the voices of the characters dead on. if you like the movie, check it out! (and if you don't like the movie, what is wrong with you?)

So far, this arc in Transformers: RID has done nothing for me. They've got about two more issues before I drop it and go back to just buying MTMTE and waiting for price drops on everything else.

Armor Hunters starts today, and will be my cue to start buying 'now' Valiant books instead of 'a year ago' Valiant books. Now if only we could get a Bloodshot sale out of Comixology to go with the X-O and Harbinger sales of the past month.

On the less-LCD side, I finally picked up Asterios Polyp. Don't know when I'll get to it, since I tend to have a hard time finding time for physical books these days when digital can be carried in large print so much easier. But I bought it, only 3 years after the rest of the universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered The Sixth Gun, a fascinating horror western.  In the words of my former coworker at Borders turned professional drummer, "IT'S GOOD!"

It's only around issue 40', so should not be hard to get caught up. Only 5 or 6 tps so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much all of Valiant's ongoing #1 issues are free on Comixology for the moment. Also, Q2 has a date and we will be seeing G1 Quantum and Woody starting October 15th.

Thanks for the head up. I wasn't going check it out since I already owned most of them but was pleasantly surprised by Rai #1 being free.

Over the weekend AICN was claiming there's an Archer & Armstrong movie in the works and on the verge of being official. AICN reports many things, but the fact that Valiant's corporate Facebook shared it without comment makes me think it might actually be legit. I can see that being really fun, with all the insane secret societies like the One Percent and the Hitler monks running around. Casting would be hard, though.

I finally got caught up on the last couple issues of Invincible. I thought I was pretty much past the point of being shaken by the high death toll of the comic, but the wholesale slaughter of long-term supporting cast, combined with generally not being that interested in the Viltrumite story, has me ready to tap out of the Skyboundverse. I think I'm TOO immune to the carnage; the deaths in 111-2 felt more like "what a waste" moments than "OH SHIT THEY KILLED X."

I don't know, if this is of interest to any of you guys, since noone replied the last two times I've advertised this, but just wanted to let you know that Humble Bundle has another great comic book deal online.

For $15 you can currently get the first five trades of Walking Dead and the first trades of Invincible, Super Dinosaur, Thief of Thieves, Ghosted and Witch Doctor.

I already have most of the books in this bundle but it's still worth it for the few I don't own yet and the money goes to a good cause.

https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

So Fight Club 2 is happening...as a 10 issue comic book run. Somehow it's a sequel, except that it pretends that the events at the end of Fight Club (movie and book) don't happen and the good Tyler Durden averts disaster from happening. Also, Tyler Durden may have supernatural powers and has been around for hundreds of years.

Thanks Chucky P., you fucking turd. And for some reason, this shit is getting a panel at SDCC and David Fincher will be there as well.

I like the premise, in that Fight Club was about these failed, messed up products from fathers who didn't give a crap and now Tyler is a father himself. That premise works just fine, but you can't call something a sequel and just act like the thing it's following up on didn't happen in the way you made it happen, both in the book and the movie. You also can't give the main fucking character super powers when they had none before.

I just finished reading Volumes 1 & 2 of Umbrella Academy, really enjoyed it, more so than True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys which was also by Gerard Way. I felt that the ending of Killjoys fell flat whereas UA was great start to finish. I hope Way has more work in the pipeline.

I also really enjoyed Joe Hill's latest output, Wraith, which while not as amazing as Locke & Key, was still solid. Looking forward to continuing to consume everything Hill puts out from short stories to comics to novels. Excited for the filmed version of Horns.