DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Read GI JOE: Cobra Vol. 1. Dug the general story of Chuckles infiltration and I liked how this first bit worked out overall with how far he was willing to go and just how useless the effort ended up being. Overall I thought it was good. The only thing I wasn't big on was the use of Jinx which felt like a waste of name character.

Final caught up on Revival. They went back to the sister murder case for a minute, which I originally thought was supposed to be the main mystery, but no I realize it's just another thread to drag out, which is fine. I kind of want things to get really out of hand, which it seems like this possible insurrection, might heat shit up. I really dig Norton's art, and I really don't want Winter to end, because this book won't look the same in the spring time.

Umbral has a fun start. I don't know if I'm sticking with it, but the art is rad and scratchy, and the first issue had some wacky shit. I felt a little lost, which may have just been me being stupid, but there were moments where I didn't know where I was or how I got there.

just found out that King's Watch (from dynamite) is a Defenders of the Earth miniseries. picked up issue #3 this week and ordered 1 & 2. can't wait to get caught up on this. as an added bonus, it's written by Jeff Parker, who is KILLING it with Batman '66.

Read Hack/Slash Omnibus Vol. 2 last week. This is the start of the ongoing in the volumes. I liked seeing Chris and Lisa becoming regulars. I dug Cassie's developing relationship Margaret. Really liked the developing mythology, especially with the revelations of Cassie's family and relation to the slashers. All this along with the general stories made for a pretty enjoyable read. O particularly dug the story with Emily Cristy and seeing them tie up that loose end from the mini.

Read Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search Part 3. Dug seeing the truth revealed finally on Zuko and Azula's mother and just how they revealed it all as the book played out. Still not sure though how I feel about the ending itself. Its nice enough, but Azula crazier than ever free in the world feels a bit wrong. I do hope they pick back up on her story as she was one of the most interesting and enjoyable characters in the show despite being evil. The volume also read just a tad fast for me. Minor complaints aside I thought this was good. They did a good job settling another part of Zuko's story while also giving quite a bit of depth to a character we knew so little of beforehand in his mother Ursa. Good read.

Yea, Omnibus Vol.2 is when I started really liking it. Omnibus 1, was fun and cute, but it was stand alone stories with no real strong direction, making it a kind of novelty. Vol. 2 is where it climbs out of the water, grows some legs and starts to take a couple of steps.

My older brother finally finished picking up all of the Classic GI Joe volumes so now I can finally finish reading through the original series. I finished up volumes 9 & 10 over the past few weeks. The Cobra civil war was kind of mediocre with them never getting too serious. That said, I did enjoy how Destro took over so cool and collected. The brainwashign story with Clutch and Rock & Roll had its fun moments, particularly Baroness vs. Zarana. The highlight of the volumes was unsurprisingly the ninja stuff. I liked a lot of what they did here in terms of moving so many of these characters forward; Billy finishing his training with Jinx and Storm Shadow taking over the latter's costume, Zartan's backstory in assassinating Hard Master, Storm Shadow's costume change and moving on from vengeance, etc. My favorite though had to be Baroness vs. Snake Eyes. The backstory on Baroness was good and I sort of love the idea that she completely went against who was and what her brother was all under a misguided attempt at vengeance. And you can't not love Snake Eyes as this pure force of nature/badass single-handedly taking out all of Cobra's consulate building. I really dug the return of Cobra Commander. I actually liked that they didn't cheap with a clone and had it be the real one, angrier and more dangerous than ever with his renewed focus in Cobra. Nothign amazing, but these were a fun set volumes.

Thanks for that heads up; I'm now downloading the next six issues of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot and A&A. (I also bought Q&W up to 5.)  Wish I had the money to revisit the VH2 X-O (the Donovan Wylie version) and Bloodshot, since I remember greatly enjoying those when they were new.

• 2 weeks later...