DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

finished my read of the '92-'94 Malibu Comics.

it started off with just wanting to read 'the Protectors' and quickly blossomed out into also reading the spin-offs.

then i found out the "Genesis" storyline crossed over with the 'Ex-Mutants' and "Dinosaurs For Hire' series.

also checked out 'Dead Clown' since it was mentioned a few times and only 3 issues.

thoughts:

the Protectors series proper was awesome. i absolutely loved it.

all the spinoffs were at least decent. Did a good job adding backstory to individual characters.

Ex-Mutants was ok. The first issue wasn't very good but it picked up steam as it went along. there were a few dropped plots. then the protags all got superpowers and the comic jumped the shark.

Dinos for Hire wasn't good. Not funny, the plot was as thin as the paper it was printed on, the the crossover wasn't.

Dead Clown was ok for what it was. expected little, and got about that.

the only thing i couldn't find (although i didn't look too terribly hard) was the Miss Fury 4-issue miniseries from a year or so before the Protectors started. oh well.

The post-Marvel buyout issues of "Prime" are genuinely some of the worst, most non-sensical comics I have ever read in almost 23 years of reading comics.

We Can Never Go Home is the bastard offspring of X-Men and Kill Your Boyfriend. It's absolutely terrific. Better writing and art than the vast majority of Image stuff despite being from creators I hadn't heard of prior. Check this out. If there's justice it'll be a breakout book for the next decade's hot talent.

finished my read of the '92-'94 Malibu Comics.

it started off with just wanting to read 'the Protectors' and quickly blossomed out into also reading the spin-offs.

then i found out the "Genesis" storyline crossed over with the 'Ex-Mutants' and "Dinosaurs For Hire' series.

also checked out 'Dead Clown' since it was mentioned a few times and only 3 issues.

thoughts:

the Protectors series proper was awesome. i absolutely loved it.

all the spinoffs were at least decent. Did a good job adding backstory to individual characters.

Ex-Mutants was ok. The first issue wasn't very good but it picked up steam as it went along. there were a few dropped plots. then the protags all got superpowers and the comic jumped the shark.

Dinos for Hire wasn't good. Not funny, the plot was as thin as the paper it was printed on, the the crossover wasn't.

Dead Clown was ok for what it was. expected little, and got about that.

the only thing i couldn't find (although i didn't look too terribly hard) was the Miss Fury 4-issue miniseries from a year or so before the Protectors started. oh well.

Back in 2008 I got all the Malibu Protectors stuff. The main series was fun. Sadly the art on the covers was great while the interior art wasn't as good.

Grabbed Eltingville Club 2 the other day (somehow I completely flaked on the existence of Eltingville Club 1- off to wait on the omnibus next year). God, does Dorkin nail the dark side of fandom thing or what? 

The last issue of Eltingville makes me realize how comic fandom has sucked all the joy of reading comics right out of me.

i.e. if I could just sit down and just read a comic and enjoy it, without over-analyzing it to death I'd waste less time and be happier.

James

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/03/priest-launches-e-book-with-unpublished-quantum-woody-scripts-and-combative-history/

Jim "Christopher Priest" Owsley: Burning bridges in four different decades!

This guy really does not understand the concept of not airing your dirty laundry in public, does he?

I'd say its more like he doesn't give a fuck.

I found that last bit about general editorial across board fairly interesting. It explains so much why the New 52 went the way it did.

All i know is that when he did a store signing for lcs where i worked during peak of Q&W, he was a great guest.

No, no, really nice guy, just likes to air his grievances in public for pretty much his entire career: be it on his personal website, ebooks, or interviews with Wizard or The Comics Journal.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I just spent an hour at George Perez's table while he sketched, signed and chatted with the half dozen fans waiting our turn. Absolutely amazing to watch him draw, and it's insane thst maybe the single greatestcape artist alive had just one little table, no big signage and no prints etc for sale.

Grabbed Eltingville Club 2 the other day (somehow I completely flaked on the existence of Eltingville Club 1- off to wait on the omnibus next year). God, does Dorkin nail the dark side of fandom thing or what? 

i honestly didn't know this was a thing. i LOVE that cartoon pilot that was made for it a dozen or whatever years ago, but never thought to look for a comic book.

and now i have a project for the night.

The new Empowered Vol. 9 is pretty great too. A real CMOA for Emp. Also, EEL DUCE!

FINALLY. Greatest indy comic in the world, aside from how goddamn long we have to wait between volumes.

It averages about one per year which is about right. Great series, this volume rules. Adam Warren is a pretty good dude too slash good salesman. I was drooling over his original art at TCAF but my whole budget was less than a page. Instead I got a page rough for $20 signed. Which is a hell of a deal.

Somehow I have like a half dozen pages of original comics art without having more than like, $40 for a page.

If anything, I thought Emp actually rocked maybe a little too much this time around. We saw her beat a whole buncha heels, but didn't get to see the aftermath of any of it (except her being broken and crying, as per usual). None of the jackass "heroes" who constantly doubt and mock her were really forced to eat any crow, to show any comeuppance. Also: how fucking dumb are the big superhero council, to not realize what had already happened to 524? Sometimes, I think Warren overdoes things when it comes to stacking the deck against Emp in order to get sympathy for her. (Let me note that these are all just nitpicks, though: like I said before, best indy comic in the world.)

All i know is that when he did a store signing for lcs where i worked during peak of Q&W, he was a great guest.

Yeah, he was a great guest when he appeared at my lcs.  I also met him twice while he was writing Black Panther and had a chance to chat with him.  Great guy and super guest.  But, yeah, he has a talent for turning little disagreements into huge blowups.  Guy has never met a high road he didn't shun.

I'd still kill for Black Panther and Power Man/Iron Fist omnibuses. 

Edit: It's not hardcover, but Marvel just started reissuing the Black Panther run. Vol 1 (first 17 issues) came out two weeks ago.  Vol 2 drops at Christmas and vol. 3 arrives in the Spring.  How did I not know this before now? 

If anything, I thought Emp actually rocked maybe a little too much this time around. We saw her beat a whole buncha heels, but didn't get to see the aftermath of any of it (except her being broken and crying, as per usual). None of the jackass "heroes" who constantly doubt and mock her were really forced to eat any crow, to show any comeuppance. Also: how fucking dumb are the big superhero council, to not realize what had already happened to 524? Sometimes, I think Warren overdoes things when it comes to stacking the deck against Emp in order to get sympathy for her. (Let me note that these are all just nitpicks, though: like I said before, best indy comic in the world.)

See, I really liked the twist. It diversified her skillset and provided a great reason for her to get through.

And hey, there was always

Deathmonger's brick shitting return. Which was needed as that was actually the book where I felt she got through a bit easy.

But I mean...Warren has been levelling her up for ages. I thought this paid that off well.