DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the owner of my lcs is trying to tempt me into reading Garth Ennis' The Boys by offering me a really good deal on the first six or so trades.  I'm tempted.  There are a lot of Ennis books out there I thought were fantastic.  Then there's the output that was just too far down the rabbit hole for me.

Opinions?  I don't think I've read an Ennis book since... Demon?  Hitman?  Somewhere in there.  Been a while.

The Boys has some amazing moments, but also some really, really shitty bits.  Ennis's absolute loathing of superheroes other than Superman comes through strong, and a lot of it relies on jokes about sexual depravity including rape, pedophilia etc.  On balance, I liked it, but I'm not sure if I can *recommend* it--and it's hard to gauge your value without spoiling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm on a Matt Wagner kick.  Picked up the Madame Xanadu trades a few weeks ago and loved the book, so I decided to reread the Comico Wagner books.  Finished Mage; The Hero Defined this morning.  I was a big fan of Hero Discovered when it first came out (at one point, i owned the limited edition hardcovers, but they've been lost for at least a decade), but I hadn't read Hero Defined before.  Pleasantly surprised to find out Hero Discovered holds up and Hero Defined is pure fun.

Starting Grendel this week.  I have the Grendel Omnibuses (reprinting almost anything Grendel related) and the Grendel Archive that reprinted the original black-and-white series.  Picking up Grendel/Shadow this week and anything else not reprinted (I own the Grendel/Batman tpb.  Not sure if there's anything else that didn't get reprinted in the omnibuses; I'll have to look at comicbookdb).  Looking forward to rereading Grendel.  I was a big fan of Devil by the Deed and the first two years or so of the Grendel series.

Has Wagner written anything really great lately?  I read Green Hornet: Year One a couple week ago and was nonplussed enough that I'm not in any rush to check out Shadow or Zorro.

Honestly I can only think of like four or five Wagner series from the past ten years or so period. Less that he drew as well as wrote. Granted that juuuust misses all the Batman stuff he did for DC (or is it right on the cusp...anyway, I'm not counting it) but yeah, he's fairly choosy about his new projects.

I still need to pick up Grendel/Shadow as I have all the other Wagner Grendel and even some of the non-Wagner stuff. The Batman crossover is always a battle for my sorting because I have a stupid big Batman trade collection and keep the Wagner stuff together but my Grendel collection is also prominent. Usually it goes with Grendel because it actually affected that canon but sometimes I change my mind.

Local comic shop bought a huge collection recently. Lots of 80s thru mid 90s stuff. One drawback every issue has the previous owner's name written on the cover or somewhere inside the issue. So almost all of it got dumped into the dollar bins.

Dug out 3 issues of an odd series. From 1981 and published by Survival Press Art.

FWJUQmDm.jpg

7TjgkSIm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...