DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I've just picked up the final volume of Zero (which quickly became my fave comic despite Ales Kot's annoying Twitter presence) and the second volume of Fade Out. Was gonna get the first issue of IDW's Drive adaptation but figured I'd wait for the TPB as per.

Yet to dive in to them though as I'm finishing Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.

• 4 weeks later...

Invincible: Modern Family. I like where Kirkman took things here. I like how the world seemingly better off in Robot's control along the with new baby has left Mark confused and changing priorities. The war between Thragg & Battle Beast in the background was fun. I liked seeing family time (the good & the bad) with Mark, Eve, & Terra. I also like how Kirkman handled Mark's reveal being raped to Eve. With this an the things going on into the background it will be interesting to see where everything goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped at what used to be my local pusher (before I went all-digital because it's a 40-minute bus ride and digital is easier than using a CCTV enlarger) yesterday to kill some time waiting for my bus. Matt Frank happened to be signing (he's local) and we have friends in common, so we ended up chatting for a few minutes about my incredibly limited Godzilla knowledge and he sold me on checking out IDW's Godzilla stuff and I bought his sketchbook. So far, Godzilla: Rulers of Earth is pretty goddamn fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two questions if anyone knows, and I apologize if the one is a Marvel question.

Is there a collected one volume reprinting of the Marvelman/Miracleman # 15 story line stuff?

Ape Entertainment was allegedly reprinting the Poison Elves 1-20 collected edition? Did it happen, is it going to happen? They have no mention of Poison Elves on their website.

I have the single issue reprint that Marvel did.  I would assume it is a trade as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracleman-Book-Olympus-Alan-Moore/dp/0785154663/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451701459&sr=8-3&keywords=miracleman

Thanks man.

Further research into Poison Elves suggest Ape is pretty much dead and they dropped PE before they printed the big book. Sigh.

Read the Fire & Stone series for Aliens/Predator/Prometheus. Prometheus was a decent horror flick though a bit rushed. It served more as an intro/set up for the characters of the last two minis. Aliens was ok though felt pretty disconnected from the rest with it taking decades beforehand and no characters from it showing up in the other books. Wasn't terribly fond of AVP. Predators were pretty much punked out, and the main story about the former droid and scientist did little for me. Predator was probably the best with the focus being on an older Predator's last hunt being the biggest game of all in an Engineer. Not a bad series on the whole, but really Predator was probably the only one really worthwhile though the others aren't bad reads per say.

• 2 weeks later...

I really desperately need to get caught up on Invincible, Saga and non-MTMTE Transformers (or at the very least buy TF/Joe v2, because v1 was completely ludicrous in the best possible way.  Also, I need to read G0dland and American Barbarian for more Scioli.)

Got my copies of Saga Vol. 5 and Rat Queens Vol. 2 yesterday and read both of them at work. Saga really knows how to tug at the heartstrings and Rat Queens... shit Rat Queens is the most fun I can have reading comics that isn't Atomic Robo

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing really jumped out at me honestly. I guess it sort of goes with having a richer scene of high profile indie books but past years there have been a ton of great projects by top flight creative teams announced and with so many of those still going I guess it's hard to keep dropping new projects at that scale. I felt like a lot of the concepts were either too vague or didn't pop enough to stand out against the current market for me.

Pumped for the Batgirl/Gotham Academy braintrust books but that's all that popped for me.

• 2 weeks later...