DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: STEVE "MONGO" MCMICHAEL

RIPPA

This get this right out in the open.

All of you "MONGO WASN'T THAT BAD!!!!!!" people are stupid.

Bless Your Heart Mike Enos

And this one is more for the video package at the beginning that including WCW getting footage from NFL Films

Yeah - that is the one thing I will give Mongo credit for.

He sure at least wanted to be there.

And of the footballers who went wrestling full time - he probably had the third best NFL career

(Yes - I am very Meltzian in my qualifiers there)

• Like 2

Oof:

Oh, I am sorry:

More random tag stuff that could be fun:

And this:

And this:

This is #6 and it won't embed but I'm not making a post just for JJ and Mongo vs Public Enemy. And it's only Part 1! Why is there a part 2 to this?

Ok, look.

There's this Atlantis, Mr. Niebla & Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo, Black Warrior & Blue Panther (CMLL 04/24/98) match I quite want to see. I very much want to see it actually, and it is not online. It's out there. It's just not online. 

So that's not online, but all these god damn Mongo matches are. TWO Stevie Ray matches. Two. What the fuck is wrong with the internet? 

• Like 2

Mongo was terrible but, yes, his enjoyment of wanting to be good at wrestling made him at least compelling.

I really loved the angle of when he turned on Kevin Green to join the Horsemen, with Debra coming down with the briefcase and money. I loved how he stared at that briefcase like it was some Lord of the Rings thing, realized that money trumps everything, and joined ranks with the bad guys.

On a related note, I'm very eager to dig into Nitro to see Queen Debra start her reign. I loved her shtick back then. "I don't want to say anything bad about anyone but..."

Yeah - that is the one thing I will give Mongo credit for.

He sure at least wanted to be there.

And of the footballers who went wrestling full time - he probably had the third best NFL career

(Yes - I am very Meltzian in my qualifiers there)

OK, I'll ask, who are the top two?

Debra wore out her welcome for me, quick.

I had to Google to remember this, but one word sums McMichael up: Pepe.

You more-experienced wrestling watchers may dispute this, but Mongo is easily in the Top 5 of worst wrestling announcers of all time, probably in the Top 3 if I gave it any thought at all.

Just there at best in the ring, no personality. I wonder if he was hated backstage 'cause his no-talent ass was taking up a spot for someone better (i.e., most every wrestler on the planet).

Even as I wrote that, I had a faint memory that Wahoo was a recent WOTD. Ernie Ladd seems like the best guess. I'm going to assume that Kevin Greene doesn't count, even if he was better in the ring than Mongo.

As someone who's pretty new to 90's Nitro, I'm enjoying Mongo and his dog Pepe a lot. I find it hilarious and endearing.

However, I think I've only seen one or two Mongo matches. The one I remember for sure was him vs Brian Adams at Road Wild, which has a reputation for being awful.

I think it was Konnan who said on a podcast that as bad as Mongo was in the ring, people liked him because he was a super cool guy.

In his book, Flair gave his reasons for McMichael being a Horseman was A. he could hang with them partying, and B. he had a Super Bowl ring. I think that about says it all.

EDIT: one of those might've been in the Horsemen doc. Still, two reasons. Nothing like, "he could wrestle"

• Like 1