DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Deadpool (2012) #13 is cracking me up.

It's a parody of an inventory issue from the '70's, and it has Deadpool "teaming" with Heroes for Hire to take on a villain called "The White Man".

I'll admit, this run took a while to grow on me, I felt like they took any sense of Deadpool actually mattering away and turned him into 100% self-parody. But it's finally starting to come around. This particular issue isn't the best example of that, it's pretty much all played for laughs, but the run in general is finally starting to have some stakes.

• Like 1

So, in my reading, I've finally come to the big Inhuman push. I didn't think I was going to like it, because I grew up a mutant guy. But from the little bit I've read thus far, I enjoy it quite a bit. I still don't like the idea of them being mutant stand-ins, but as their own thing, they're pretty cool. 

On 09/09/2016 at 1:21 PM, steve said:

It's a parody of an inventory issue from the '70's, and it has Deadpool "teaming" with Heroes for Hire to take on a villain called "The White Man".

I'll admit, this run took a while to grow on me, I felt like they took any sense of Deadpool actually mattering away and turned him into 100% self-parody. But it's finally starting to come around. This particular issue isn't the best example of that, it's pretty much all played for laughs, but the run in general is finally starting to have some stakes.

It's really a riff on those one month crossovers in the early 90s where stuff would cross over for no apparent plot reason to do fun stuff for a bit of sales goosing. Which is extra funny because the writers of the guest stars' regular books each wrote one 'issue' of the crossover with the Deadpool team bookending it. 

It's a really fun story too.

• Like 1

On 09 September 2016 at 6:21 PM, steve said:

On 19 September 2016 at 0:10 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's really a riff on those one month crossovers in the early 90s where stuff would cross over for no apparent plot reason to do fun stuff for a bit of sales goosing. Which is extra funny because the writers of the guest stars' regular books each wrote one 'issue' of the crossover with the Deadpool team bookending it.

It's a really fun story too.

I've recently read the Deadpool run by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn out of the available books from the library/my Sister bought me one for my 31st birthday. Short review, I've really enjoyed this finding it very funny and touching in parts. I'll post reviews in greater detail ASAP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I've recently read the Deadpool run by Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn out of the available books from the library/my Sister bought me one for my 31st birthday. Short review, I've really enjoyed this finding it very funny and touching in parts. I'll post reviews in greater detail ASAP.

Gerry Dugan signed the entire run for me at NYCC last year, really great guy, super friendly. We had a nice chat while he went through them all.

• Like 1

Ant-Man 12:

I probably should have figured from the day he came back that Darren Cross would be getting a Moviejacket armor, but it still surprised me.  And wow, Beetle actually caring enough to be pissed at Scott surprised me.

And I still have no idea what the fuxk it accomplished to resurrect Egg head when they did.

As great as Darth Vader was, I'm frustrated that Gillen isn't returning to the MU proper. I'm sure the money for the Star Wars books are just too good though. If he's only going to do one work-for-hire book so that he has the economic freedom to do his own stuff, it makes way more sense for him to do that than Angela or Death's Head or whatever.

• Like 1

This isn’t that book. On the other hand, the title Hulk implies all of the baggage that comes with that comic’s 50+ year history—the ongoing battle with the monster within—and that’s why it’s more appropriate for this series. Jen went through major trauma in Civil War II, and Mariko and Nico’s story will deal with the fallout of that trauma—the anxiety and anger, sometimes self-destructive, that comes along with it. If there is light at the end of the tunnel, Jen is going to have to search hard for it, and she’s going to have to battle with some pretty big monsters—including the one within—to find herself again.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/mariko-tamaki-launches-new-jennifer-walters-hulk-s-242792

Yeah, I have literally no desire to read this version of She-Hulk at all.  I'll just wait until this 'grim 'n gritty' version gets cancelled and Jen gets retconned back into a fun character again.

I have mixed feelings. I enjoy classic She Hulk a lot but they've tried repeatedly and that take hasn't sold super well post-2000. The Slott/David series was never super hot sales-wise and the Soule series bombed despite being terrific. But Jen has a lot of A-List potential and you can see that played up in recent Marvel stuff like A-Force. She has depth enough for real dramatic stuff to work and I think that this could be great. 

It helps that Mariko Tamaki is hardly a grim and gritty writer and is super talented. I feel like this will be more nuanced than expected and hopefully veer closer to classic Hulk territory. It's new and interesting ground for Jen and furthers Marvel's use of legacy heroes to diversify their roster. I'm for it.

When did Marvel get more about legacy heroes than DC anyway?

I just started reading X-Force 2014. I know Fantomex is French(ish?), but they've turned him into a bigger stereotype than Pepé Le Pew. I'm really hoping this is some kind of front he's putting on....

Edit: Well, they addressed it, in an issue named "Le Pew", no less.

• Like 1

After months of neglect, I hit Marvel Unlimited had.  I ran through the first 5 issues of Squadron Supreme by James Robinson & Co. ( I'm a huge fan of most if not all of the Squadron Supreme iterations) and the Secret Wars Weirdworld by Jason Aaron & Del Mundo  mini.  Loved both of those series.

5 hours ago, steve said:

I just started reading X-Force 2014. I know Fantomex is French(ish?), but they've turned him into a bigger stereotype than Pepé Le Pew. I'm really hoping this is some kind of front he's putting on....

Edit: Well, they addressed it, in an issue named "Le Pew", no less.

Spurrier's run? Yeah, I'm probably the only person who likes Fantomex, but that was a terrible depiction. He's a little better in Bunn's Uncanny X-Men.

It's jarring. It's like if someone gave Spurrier the cliffsnotes version of Fantomex's history so that he could reference it, but he never actually bothered to read any of the books.

Honestly, it reads like Deadpool doing a Fantomex impersonation.

• Like 1

I really like that run as a whole (weaponizing the Morituri Process? FUCK YES.) but Fantomex, especially on the same team as Betsy, hit diminishing returns well before Spurrier...and Spurrier never seems afraid to reduce a character to absurdity if that's more interesting to him than actually exploring them.

I thought it was odd something was strangely drawing me to that issue. Now i wonder if I should have picked it up. When did Sam gain access to the Worldmind? Did they ever explain what happened to the small group of Novas Rich was building up before Thanos Imperative? Whatever the case this leaves me more excited for the new series.

Man. Captain Marvel #8 does more for Civil War II and justifying Carol's stances than any other comic so far. It's really great and makes me wish Yost were writing the main series. 

In hindsight, this would have been way better without Rhodey dying. If Thanos got wrapped up neatly and Carol got to be right for a while and Tony got to object for reasons beyond his anger over the loss of his friends. Then have the Hulk thing happen to spiral it. 

I like the concept and broad strokes of Civil War II but much like the original, the delivery is missing the mark.