DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

14 minutes ago, Ace said:

It was literally her return arc. The only time she's ever had any sort of a soul, it was part of Pixie's (and why Pixie can teleport.) Both she and Nightcrawler are soulless.

I vaguely remember a talk between her and Peter but it blurs in a way it didn’t twenty years ago.

^I thought I recalled Illyana being fully restored a while back.

3 hours ago, Ace said:

It was literally her return arc. The only time she's ever had any sort of a soul, it was part of Pixie's (and why Pixie can teleport.) Both she and Nightcrawler are soulless.

Isn't Nightcrawler more a case of being only a soul?

Illyana was an attempted resurrection from Belasco. He wanted the actual Illyana, but got the Darkchylde (what she became in Inferno) instead. Kurt made a deal with the Bamfs and Heaven to return he and Azazel to life so Azazel couldn't conquer Heaven. As has been shown recently,  Kurt now apparently cannot die.

39 minutes ago, Ace said:

Illyana was an attempted resurrection from Belasco. He wanted the actual Illyana, but got the Darkchylde (what she became in Inferno) instead. Kurt made a deal with the Bamfs and Heaven to return he and Azazel to life so Azazel couldn't conquer Heaven. As has been shown recently,  Kurt now apparently cannot die.

It's not on you but..

tumblr_nyatbtCc6A1ry4yngo1_500.gif

Avengers Standoff (Vol. 1) collects Avengers Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill #1, Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill #1, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #3-4, New Avengers #8-10 and Uncanny Avengers #7 in this order. I found out about this through a couple of pages in Steve Rogers: Captain America, Hail HYDRA and then my library got the books in afterwards. I liked the main story written by Nick Spencer, there’s Pleasant Hill but it’s not what it seems…and when the secret is out…I also liked seeing three Captain Americas past in Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson as the current one. The other tie-ins skip with the exception of Uncanny Avengers #7 as they go to Pleasant Hill via a testimony. NDVDVR

Avengers Standoff (Vol. 2) collects All-New, All Different Avengers #7, Uncanny Avengers #8, The Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6, Illuminati #6, Captain America: Sam Wilson #7-8, All-New, All Different Avengers #8 and Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega #1 in this order. The Avengers have to deal with the problems in Pleasant Hill as Maria Hill used Kobik, a sentient Cosmic Cube to create a prison and criminal lives re-written. People are waking up to the truth, including superheroes and they aren’t happy. I enjoyed this storyline by Nick Spencer, the main issues by him. The tie-ins particularly Uncanny Avengers #8 as heroes break out of their imposed identities and All-New All-Different Avengers #8 as Deadpool gets a showcase moment helping Kobik worth the read.

Secret Empire collects Secret Empire #0, Free Comic Book Day 2017: Secret Empire, Secret Empire #1-10 and Secret Empire Omega #1 by Nick Spencer in this order. The Marvel Universe finds out Captain America’s HYDRA, a Nazi and his pre planning leads to HYDRA taking over America. I like others were surprised by Steve Rogers as HYDRA because it’s so out of character and goes against what he is. This brought controversy, such a way out there What if?

The book has its moments showing Captain America, Supreme Leader of HYDRA’s tactical nouse and the rule of HYDRA what it means. I really liked the dinner sequence between the Avengers, Tony’s and Steve’s hosted by Ultron. Wilson Fisk was well used. Secret Empire goes on too long, it needed cutting down. The first half is better. Characters killed off return. Odinson and the Punisher act out of character, also the X-Men. Feels like there’s little fallout to what HYDRA Cap has done. A predictable conclusion from day one. Conflicting art styles, some good and some bad.

5 hours ago, Ace said:

If I recall correctly Kurt isn't actually alive. Heaven just won't take him back since he chose to leave.

I had planned to skip No Surrender, but between the cast of makeshift Avengers having several of my underserved favorites and

the sheer madness of retconning a Triumph analogue into the first Squadron Sinister story, only for his death to retcon him back out

convinced me to give it a shot.  First issue was pretty disappointing for a $5 comic, second was pretty damn good.

Been catching up with 5-10 months of Star Wars comics the past two weeks.

Phasma was short, but kind of redeemed her as decently badass with her going on a sometimes terminator-esque hunt to track down someone who discovered her betrayal. Its kind of a shame they didn't do more with her in the films. Poe Damaron continues to be solid. Soule seems to be trying to do a little more with the cast, and it does seem like we are getting closer to see the movie with with things back on track to hunting down the old man Poe was with at the beginning of TFA. It was nice to see Leia participate in a mission, especially having clearly learned tricks to hustle from Han. Doctor Aphra was fun. things have finally bitten her in ass with the release of the murder droids. It was especially amazing during the auction where Triple Zero managed to be the most creepy thing around despite a crazed Jedi robot sentience and Vader wrecking shit everywhere. The Screaming Citadel crossover was a bit disappointing. Not bad, but it really didn't tell you enough about the villain involved. Still decent enough, especially for the learning moments Luke gains spending time with Aphra. Star Wars was a little disappointing at first with Aaron's departure. He clearly didn't want to get caught in any big stories so everything post Screaming Citadel was a one-shot. All of them were good fun. Its just that you know Aaron can deliver more. Still Gillen is off to a good start with the Ashes of the Jeddha. Its an interesting follow up to Rogue One and Saw Guerrera's terrorist group.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:50 PM, odessasteps said:

Never posted my full reviews of the two Vision (2015) books, now's time to do so:

Vision (Vol. 1): Little Worse Than A Man collects Vision (2015) #1-6 by Tom King. The Vision builds himself a wife, Virginia and twins in Viv and Vin, daughter and son. We see the Visions react to their situations and how those respond to them. The Visions in the community. This was a great book I read in one sitting and is deserving of the reception given to it. Strongly recommended.

Vision (Vol. 2): Better Than A Beast collects Vision (2015) #6-12 by Tom King. The Vision has built a family in Virginia (wife) and twins in Vin and Viv (son and daughter). The book looks at family life, responses to events by these synthezoids and those around them. I read this in one sitting, a great read and moving in parts. The Vision (2015) is one of the best comic books ever.

Elektra by Peter Milligan, Larry Hama & Mike Deodato Jr.: The Complete Collection

First, the art: All Mike Deodato, I believe, including the covers. I feel like he got a little burned out in the middle. When Hama starts writing, he seems to have gotten a boost and upped his game for the last few issues. I am going to rate it from good to great. (Except why can't 90's artists draw feet??!! Also, I hate the way he draws Logan's hair.) 1990s Deodato is an acquired taste. I didn't like it for a long time, and then one day I suddenly did. No explanation. 

Now, the writing. Ugh. Milligan starts strong, but he quickly devolves into sit-com territory. Elektra is not Dazzler. I don't need to read about her teenage "ward" and her cute love-life and her money problems. (and her broadway dancing career?) I know she's best known for an epic and tragic love story. But that's a far cry from this "Friends"-level crap. I don't want Elektra to be cute and have funny shopping adventures with her galpals. I want her violent and emotionally tortured. 

And don't even get me started on the Daredevil story, which is some of the worst writing I have ever read from a major name on a major character. 

Larry Hama comes in for the last handful of issues. He starts out fixing one of the major problems with Milligan's new characters. It's ridiculously OTT -- maybe Fridged-level -- but it's necessary. The resulting story is pretty decent, even if the guest appearances feel shoehorned in. But the whole "The Hand will kill you and then resurrect you" gets tiresome after awhile. 

In the end, Elektra goes on her tortured and lonely way. It's for the best, I think. I am not sure she's the kind of character who works for an ongoing solo series. But I see we've had some other attempts after this one, including Greg Rucka. So I am willing to give her another chance.

Wins an extra star for the Mike Deodato. Jr.artwork.

I also finally read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, after receiving it for a Christmas gift. Terrific. I learned a lot. (Scott Lobdell was making $80k a month in the 90's?) I spent a lot of the book trying to decide is Stan Lee was a face or heel. In the end, he's a bit of a tweener. 

Oh, and the first Jean Grey trade. Good stuff.