DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Ignoring actual growth in characters like Loki and Scott had are killing my desire to read Marvel Comics. 

What has been ignored growth wise with Loki? I haven't really been caught up with him since I don't read Dr. Strange. I know Aaron has had him in a villain role for Thor though it feels like there is more to it than what we have seen so far.

7 hours ago, Ace said:

The entirety of Loki: Agent of Asgard. Loki's not even supposed to be the God of Lies anymore. He's supposed to be the God of Stories.

I mean the ending of JIM is the ending of JIM for a reason, right? I think he's been far more of a tweener even in Aaron's run than if he was completely reverted even if yes, I get frustrated by it sometimes too. 

For good or ill, he and Lang are both strongly influenced by their movie versions.

Its likely the other way around in the case of Loki. I mean there is a reason the last letter in Gillen's JIM is from Hiddleston. Aaron seems to hint that he has reasons for his current actions. Its nothing Loki actually wants to be doing. I assume how it all plays out won't be until the end of the War Between Realms which is still ongoing even into the next series, but I got the general feeling that Aaron wasn't trying to ignore this version of Loki. I have no idea how Loki is in Dr. Strange. Is his personality that off base from what Gillen and Ewing had established?

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wasn't God of Stories a reference only he used? I'm pretty sure most everyone else still looked at as the God of Lies.

No. It was specifically God of Stories. Like Odin said, "Remember what a lie is." It's how they don't become King Loki. They were gonna sideline in mischief.

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its likely the other way around in the case of Loki. I mean there is a reason the last letter in Gillen's JIM is from Hiddleston. Aaron seems to hint that he has reasons for his current actions. Its nothing Loki actually wants to be doing. I assume how it all plays out won't be until the end of the War Between Realms which is still ongoing even into the next series, but I got the general feeling that Aaron wasn't trying to ignore this version of Loki. I have no idea how Loki is in Dr. Strange. Is his personality that off base from what Gillen and Ewing had established?

The Loki in Dr. Strange is more like the Gillen/Ewing versions, actually.

• Like 1

Hmmm... thinking... I read JMS and then there was a period where I kinda dropped off because I had to "budget my money more effectively" did Gillen do that Sif run on JiM because I did enjoy tht

James

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #11-13 carries on the Slingers storyline. Best thing from #11 is Ben Reilly realizing the reason for his facial degradation reappearing after calling out Death to explain this. #12 is one of the best issues as Kaine Parker makes a welcome return teaming up with Ben to free kidnapped Cassandra Mercury. Some funny dialogue by both Scarlet Spiders. #13 is the enjoyable conclusion with the line between good/evil can be close. Kaine gets a great showcase how he uses his suit for a Priest’s assistance and helping the Veterans Centre. 

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #14 Kaine is introduced by Terry, his female friend at the Veterans Centre to her brother. Ben seeks Mysterio because Dusk said she needed to talk to Ben about Mysterio. A unnecessary filler issue.

• 2 weeks later...

DC and Marvel exclusives seem to basically mean "no other work for hire" these days.  I remember PAD saying he basically did it entirely to get on Marvel's health plan, and I'm a little surprised more American creators don't follow that logic.

I am enjoying No Surrender a lot more than I expected. A $4-5 weekly kind of sucks, but I'm having fun with it. Voyager's reveal worked pretty well for me and I'm now officially in to the end because I couldn't imagine waiting til Unlimited gets it to read the rest.

I legit would not have recognized Paco Medina's art having not really seen anything of his in ages.  I remember absolutely loving him as fill-in on Captain Marvel v4 and regular penciler for the Faerber and Kelly runs on Superboy (and thinking he was a really good artist not suited to Giffen's Suicide Squad) and knowing he was working on other stuff but not really seeking him out. I'm really glad he's working regularly and has evolved to be able to work an A-list title.

Marvel Unlimited finally has the complete run of Strikeforce Morituri (31 issues of the original run, plus the Electric Undertow mini) available as of yesterday.  I didn't read it til I was in my 30s, but it might be my favorite "weird" thing Marvel did in the 80s.