DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 3/20/2018 at 11:10 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Marvel Unlimited finally has the complete run of Strikeforce Morituri (31 issues of the original run, plus the Electric Undertow mini) available as of yesterday.  I didn't read it til I was in my 30s, but it might be my favorite "weird" thing Marvel did in the 80s.

I remember when that was coming out thinking it sounded stupid. Then over the past 20 years got a full run out of cheap bins. Read it and damn it is one of the best things Marvel put out in the 80s.

• Like 2

X-Men BLUE Vol. 3: Cross Time Capers
If you recall I had a mixed response to Vol. 2 of X-Men Blue and had reservations about going on to Vol 3... but that title for it.. .well if you're going to borrow a classic storyline name from Excalibur then I'l give it a go. I'm glad I did because this was such an incredibly fun read. I must say that between reading this and Vol. 1 of Jen Grey that time displaced Jean might be my favorite version of the character. It was a wonderful fun time travel caper with just th right blend of action, drama and humor that it almost felt like the Alan Davis era Excalibur to a degree and that is a good thing!

James

The Amazing Spider-Man #797 starts Go Down Swinging, the beginning of the end of Dan Slott’s long run on Spider-Man. I’m reading for this in real time and because I’ve read the majority of Slott’s solo run which started with The Amazing Spider-Man #648’s Big Time. Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is trying to think of something about Spider-Man. A good open, there’s very funny banter between Spidey, a purse snatcher and the victim. The art by Stuart Immonen and cover by Alex Ross need praising too.

Read the first two volumes of Duggan's GotG run. I'm digging it so far. Its still running on the changes Bendis made to make it closer to Gunn's films, but at the same is pulling from DnA's run and stuff Ewing did to Marvel's cosmic post Secret War. I like that its actually building to something big. Really the only thing I didn't care for was Loki which felt a bit off from what Gillen and Ewing established. Still might be a wait and see thing as I don't really know his goal beyond the gems.

Good news: the FF are back

Bad news: Dan Slott writing

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/books/fantastic-four-marvel-return.html#click=https://t.co/ZkSqTEOhfj

As Matt and I have been discussing, it's a little surprising there hasn't been a woman write FF yet (the main FF book that is). 

12 minutes ago, Sublime said:

FF is a book that I've never really gotten into, I have Marvel Unlimited what are some good stories/eras/jumping on points for checking them out at their best?

Not knowing what is available but:

First 60 or so by jack and stan

Byrne run 230 ish to 280 ish

Waid/Ringo

Hickman run

The 1999 annual by karl kesel 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Read the first two volumes of Duggan's GotG run. I'm digging it so far. Its still running on the changes Bendis made to make it closer to Gunn's films, but at the same is pulling from DnA's run and stuff Ewing did to Marvel's cosmic post Secret War. I like that its actually building to something big. Really the only thing I didn't care for was Loki which felt a bit off from what Gillen and Ewing established. Still might be a wait and see thing as I don't really know his goal beyond the gems.

Nobody is really using the Gillen/Ewing Loki outside of his look.

Except that Loki's story continued after JiM. JiM was with Kid Loki, who was killed at the end and replaced by Ikol. Ikol was then replaced by Loki, God(dess) of Stories.

I'm so happy the FF are coming back for real UT Im wary of Slott. At least he has previous experiece writing Ben and The THing is one of my faves so good on that. I was really hoping Chip was going ot handle the FF though.. .oh well, I'm being hopeful about this. Watch, this will be less interesting than the Claremont/Salvador run or the Lobdel/Davis one

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I'm so happy the FF are coming back for real UT Im wary of Slott. At least he has previous experiece writing Ben and The THing is one of my faves so good on that. I was really hoping Chip was going ot handle the FF though.. .oh well, I'm being hopeful about this. Watch, this will be less interesting than the Claremont/Salvador run or the Lobdel/Davis one

James

I was hoping since chips M2in1 is leading to the FF return, he would segue onto that. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:33 AM, odessasteps said:

Not knowing what is available but:

First 60 or so by jack and stan

Byrne run 230 ish to 280 ish

Waid/Ringo

Hickman run

The 1999 annual by karl kesel 

As  usual, when it comes to comics you can accept Mark's word as gospel, I'll go just a bit further and say that FF from around 34-60 includes some of the very best that comics has to offer, the introduction of the Inhumans, Galactus & Silver Surfer, Black Panther etc. Stan at his most inventive and Jack outdoing himself issue after issue.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

This is the comics thread, where the black costume has come back far too often.

Sorry it was kind of late and I was tired. I thought I was in the movie thread.

Its weird to bring back the black costume with all the shit they have done to rehabilitate symbiotes outside of Carnage. This reminds me that I also hate that they have rehabilitated symbiotes.

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Secret Wars, Back in Black and Renew Your Vows (an alternate Earth miniseries) are the ones off the top of my head.

Kraven's Last Hunt had the black costume as well. 

I feel like maybe briefly during Larsen's Amazing he wound up wearing it because all of his regular suits got destroyed. 

• Like 1