DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 1

Dolfan in NYC

Well that game was painful to watch. South Carolina traditionally starts slow the first game, even losing games we shouldn't like the Vandy loss a few years ago. South Carolina looked as bad as I have ever seen and I am not sure there is an answer that will keeps competitive in the SEC. Hopefully I am overreacting and the loss will not be as bad in the long run as it seems now, though I don't see how.

This could be a massive upset as Mercer are struggling with NAIA Reinhardt University, just taking the lead 31-28 in the third quarter. Has NAIA ever beaten FBS?

Well, Mercer is an FCS school that just started playing football last year for the first time since 1941, so.. and Reinhardt also started their program just last year. Mercer won tonight, by the way.

A site actually did compile a list of schools at the time that were I-A and lost to a D2 or lower team. NAIA has won five times but that was soon after they split and schools didn't know where they want to be.

That A&M game was certainly a welcome surprise.  I figured the offense would still be good, but wasn't expecting anything from the defense tonight.  The mental breakdowns and coverage lapses were still there, but at least they weren't getting blown 5 yards off the line of scrimmage like they were last year against even average teams.  Trying to quell my irrational exuberance.  I mean I know the defense isn't actually good, and the Aggies aren't gonna win the SEC west or anything.  I could maybe see 10-3 if lots of stuff goes right.

Listening to the SEC network folks, I'm laughing at the Myles Garrett = Jadeveon Clowney and Kenny Hill = JFF comparisons.  Guess they gotta hype something.

There is literally nothing else to talk about.

It's hard to poopoo 500 yards passing, but, damn, A&M receivers were running wide open all night. Not much threading of the proverbial needle required to get all those yards.

Told y'all that the OBC has lost his touch offensively.

I think EVA hit the nail on the head earlier suggesting that he still wants to pass every down when the run game has always been the best option and given him the most success at SC.

On one hand, you're absolutely right that this decade as SC has not been anything even vaguely similar to the Fun 'N Gun days at Florida.

On the other, the OBC is coaching at South Carolina, which has never been a hotbed of great college football success. The fact that he has (tonight aside) turned them into a perennial top 15 team is actually pretty damn impressive.

Other items of note from Thursday:

-Wake Forest loses to UL-Monroe. The bottom half of the ACC continues to be wretched.

-Evans throws for 438 yards in Tulsa's 2OT win over Tulane

-In a game I completely forgot was on because the PAC 12 network is buried below the FS regional channels I am not subscribed to on my cable package; Rutgers beats Washington St 41-38 with Halliday throwing for 532 yards and 5 TD in the LOSS. How many times can a QB throw for 500+ yards and lose!

I try to watch Colorado/Colorado St every year because they have had some fun games over the past decade, though it hasn't been as good as of late.

People are going to overreact about Kenny Hill. A&M looked solid against a really bad SC team.

You can tell that Spurrier realized he had nothing when his only offensive playcalling was comparable of that of an overmatched Madden player. Just through the deep ball and pray someone catches it.

It is weird but the overreaction for Kenny Hill seems to be more centered around Johnny Manziel opinion than Hill's game.  Somehow this game proves that Manziel was just a system QB and that all this talent he had was a fluke.   Bit of a stretch as given how the South Carolina D played.   I am sure that Manziel would have put up huge numbers as well  

-In a game I completely forgot was on because the PAC 12 network is buried below the FS regional channels I am not subscribed to on my cable package; Rutgers beats Washington St 41-38 with Halliday throwing for 532 yards and 5 TD in the LOSS. How many times can a QB throw for 500+ yards and lose!

That depends...

How many games is WSU playing this year?

On one hand, you're absolutely right that this decade as SC has not been anything even vaguely similar to the Fun 'N Gun days at Florida.

On the other, the OBC is coaching at South Carolina, which has never been a hotbed of great college football success. The fact that he has (tonight aside) turned them into a perennial top 15 team is actually pretty damn impressive.

He's done a fabulous job of raising up South Carolina, no question about it.  Three straight 11-2 seasons?  A miracle.  And yet...

His offenses have been a mess.  He stuck with whatshisname at quarterback forever despite the 5 billion suspensions and not-overwhelming play on the field.  You'd think Spurrier would have SOMEBODY else that could play.  You'd think he'd have been able to recruit ONE guy at QB over the last decade that could REALLY play just based on "look at what my guys did at Florida..." (even if they all were terrible in the NFL, several at least got there and Sexy Rexy played in a Super Bowl).  But it hasn't happened.

And then, of course, there's his seeming unwillingness to go with what his personnel are actually good at...

While it's true he hasn't molded a superstar QB at South Carolina, I'd say he got the absolute most out of Connor Shaw over the past four years. Last year, Shaw accounted for 3,000 total yards and an astounding 24-1 TD:int ratio. Those numbers might not have the wow factor you get in the video game numbers of these spread QBs, but I think most teams who didn't have JFF or Jameis at QB last year would've been thrilled with those numbers.

The difference between Spurrier's offense at Florida and at South Carolina isn't the QB (pretty much all of his QBs at Florida were just "some guys" who went on to be professional insurance salesmen and sports talk hosts, not successful pro players), it's the talent at wide receiver. He's had a few great receivers (Alshon, Sidney Rice) at SC, but he hasn't had the stockpile of elite guys that could burn up every secondary in the country like he had at Florida.

There's also the issue that while the Fun 'n Gun was the spread offense of the 90's, blowing the minds of unprepared defensive coordinators on a weekly basis, it's fairly passé by today's standards, and there are, literally, decades' worth of tape on how to defend it.

• Like 1

I'm a bit concerned about it. I think WVU will be a bit better than last year. And Dana's offense is so wacky. He gives defenses a lot to look at, and Bama's veteran MLB, the guy who would be responsible for making sure everybody knows what they're doing, is out due to an NCAA violation. It's not inconceivable they could score 20 or so points.

And I have literally no idea what to expect out of the offense. Last year, I'd be like, "Yeah, Bama will score 50 if they have to and win," but I'm not sure this team will score that much on anybody. There are 2, maybe 3, starters on the OL that I don't think will be starters by the end of the season. The tight ends are still pussies. And lord only knows what to expect out of Blake.

Could be a lot closer than the experts think, as the saying goes.

Though down 3 at the half Colorado St has all the momentum after finding a running back in former Alabama recruit Dee Hart. All of the Rams success is fully attributed to Hart, the Buffalos have yet to find an answer to him.

On the computer Nova has a shot to knock off Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. They are inside the 15 with 63 seconds left.

I approve of Dave Wannstedt on the FS1 halftime show. Greatest stache in football.