DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Rich also reporting that the plan was to have Alfred's death to be a fakeout, but due to the response it's now going to be permanent (as much as these things ever are). Not a fan of that call, not least because of the implication that the two results are interchange in terms of story impact.

Wow, that is some nonsensical bullshit if true. 

• Like 2

a non-comics-reading buddy just texted me pissed off that they're turning Batman black. so for what it's worth, people are talking.  After i told him they're not turning Bruce black he seemed more OK with it, but the point stands.

As far as Alfred's death goes, have they even once referenced that the Joker cut off his hand in the "Death of the Family" storyline? Talk about adding something for pure shock value and no payoff.  i mean, Joker also cut his own face off at one point and he seems to be doing fine....

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

a non-comics-reading buddy just texted me pissed off that they're turning Batman black. so for what it's worth, people are talking.  After i told him they're not turning Bruce black he seemed more OK with it, but the point stands.

As far as Alfred's death goes, have they even once referenced that the Joker cut off his hand in the "Death of the Family" storyline? Talk about adding something for pure shock value and no payoff.  i mean, Joker also cut his own face off at one point and he seems to be doing fine....

The Joker chopped Alfred's hand off in Endgame. The hand was sewn back on by a special Crazy Quilt stitch.

Edited by The Natural

Double posting because I wanted to get the bad joke out there first.

I found the exposition in Doomsday Clock 11 very disappointing. A lot of this is due to the heavy re-read I did a month or two ago. I think this issue will serve well the readers who have been reading from the start but that haven't gone back, especially due to the delays. I think it'll be a big detriment to the series when it's collected. Much of the exposition is given to a character who is virtually inconsequential, so it doesn't serve a point in the story itself. It is, therefore, entirely for the reader's sake, but it doesn't really tie anything together we didn't already know if we were paying attention and interfacing with the text, and why are you reading this thing if you're not going to do that? There were one or two bits of color that we could only guess at but not know 100% until Ozymandias told us, but even these bits are few and far between. There's plenty of the usual craft in the issue when it comes to panel layout and cuts and what not but the brunt of the issue is the exposition and whatever narrative weight it's supposed to have for the reader absolutely 100% fails.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Dark Knight Returns: Golden Child - New Frank Miller One-shot this December. 

dark-knight-returns-golden-child_1.jpg

https://ew.com/books/2019/09/13/frank-miller-previews-next-epic-batman-comic-the-dark-knight-returns-the-golden-child

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a classic. 

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again is what the fuck was that? 

Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade was a pleasant surprise turning out better than expected. 

I have Dark Knight Returns III: The Master Race but still haven't got round to reading it. 

I guess this is related, even if my question isn’t about actual comics, but rather the company itself. I just bought Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe - is there a book similar to this one, but just about DC? Going into the history of the company, behind the scenes stories, etc.

Edited by Casey

Big Batman news:

James Tynion IV to write Batman from Batman #86 to Batman #100. 

Series will be relaunched with a new #1 and new writer after Tynion IV with Luke Fox as Batman.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/20/james-tynion-iv-dc-comics-new-batman-writer-2020-is-something-killing-the-robins/

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1