DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Read the first volume of Tynion's JLD and the Witching Hour. Enjoyed both though in general it was a bit weird to see them connect so much to magic and try and tear so many aspects of DC's supernatural world. Not super fond of that though I get it as the overarching story Snyder has been telling via JL. Manbat feels like a weird addition, but i'm enjoying Holland, Detective Chimp, Zee, and Diana all together. 

CBR Best Batman stories of the last decade:

https://www.cbr.com/batman-stories-best-last-decade/

Mine:

10. Batman: Li'l Gotham.

9. Batman: Leviathan Strikes! One-Shot.

8. Batman Impossible. Batman and Robin Annual #1.

7. Dark Night: A True Batman Story.

6. Twenty-Seven from Detective Comics #27 Special Edition.

5. Batman: Endgame. 

4. Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin. 

3. Batman and Robin: Blackest Night.

2. Batman: The Black Mirror. 

1. Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die!

Thoughts on both lists welcome.

Read Batman vs. Deathstroke. Thought this was pretty fun on the whole. In general Bruce vs. Slade is a fun fight be it psychical or battle of wits. What I really loved though was just the idea of Alfred and Wintergreeen being old pals trying to reign in their crazy children. It was neat seeing Priest tie it all back to one last bit of story and info never quite confirmed with Damian's parentage. I would say its a pity it didn't play out with Snyder like originally planned, but Priest did so well on his own, I'm not sure it would have gotten the same quality.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Meanwhile, I picked up a issue of Weird Mystery Tales that has a Twinkies ad featuring Batman and Robin vs a Mummy. 

Is that the one where Robin has a "special mummy ray gun" that has no effect on the mummy?

Working ny way slowly thru SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN. "Clan of the Fiery Cross" might be the most important superhero story ever since it legit wounded the RL KKK, and Gene Yang has been a favorite since American Born Chinese was running as a webcomic on Modern Tales, so it's no shock that I fucking love this.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 1:02 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Gene Yang has been a favorite since American Born Chinese was running as a webcomic on Modern Tales, so it's no shock that I fucking love this.

He also wrote the All New Superman book right?  The Chinese government sponsored Superman character.  I have been reading that off and on on the DC Universe App.

1 hour ago, Justin877 said:

He also wrote the All New Superman book right?  The Chinese government sponsored Superman character.  I have been reading that off and on on the DC Universe App.

Yeah. I like that a lot too, need to get to the post-Justice League of China issues

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

That was a fun book. Have the characters made any regular appearances elsewhere since the series was cancelled?

Avery returned to The Flash for the Grodd and Flash War stories after it ended.  I am reading so little DC now that the fact I haven't seen them since doesn't mean they haven't shown up.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Avery returned to The Flash for the Grodd and Flash War stories after it ended.  I am reading so little DC now that the fact I haven't seen them since doesn't mean they haven't shown up.

I'm in the same boat. I only buy Detective at the moment and am usually a good 2-3 months behind on actually reading it. Otherwise I read a few books via the library meaning I'm like 6-9 months behind on even the big stuff like Batman and Justice league.

I'm getting Deathstroke, Young Justice and, god help me, Flash Forward.  Will pick up LSH #1 but as much as YJ has been Good Bendis, the Millennium book was Very Bad Bendis so I dunno how long I'll stick around.  It's crazy to look back at 2016 with the returns of Wally and Choi and the quality of JL/SS and think how excited I was about the line.