DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: AUGUST

RIPPA

Ruben Amaro basically saying all prospects suck is so very beautiful

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140801_Idle_Amaro_says_his_asking_prices_were_reasonable.html

"In this day and age, I think one of the most over-coveted elements of baseball are prospects," Amaro said. "I don't know how many prospects that have been dealt over the last several years have really come to bite people in the ass. I think what's happened is, I think teams are really kind of overvaluing in some regards."

Amaro quoted Mike Ondo, his director of professional scouting, as saying: "They're minor-league players. And until they're producing at the major-league level that's what they are. Prospects are prospects." But they are what the Phillies crave to execute a swift rebuild.

I would feel bad for Phillies fans but they are Phillies fans
  • Like 1

I mean, giving an overrated 1B a ridiculous contract right before his production dissappears doesn't bite you in the ass as much as paying too much for prospects, right?

I heard something last night on the Phillies pregame that was...well, perfect.

"Ruben said that he wasn't getting enough value in return for what he believes are his good players that are currently 14 games under .500"

Beautiful.

It's been awhile since I've seen a more chicken shit organization than the Diamondbacks. They hit McCutchen as retaliation for an unintentional HBP of Goldschmidt last night...in the ninth inning of a 5-1 game. What a shit ass organization. Fire everyone.

I hope people are willing to accept him struggling. I have a bad feeling that the majority of the fan base is expecting him to come up and dominate. Maybe he will, but as Brett Taylor wrote about today at Bleacher Nation, he's being brought up to face big league pitching, fielding situations, and the big game in general. He probably will struggle, but all that really matters is that he's getting big league experience and that the club is continuing to move him along on a really good developmental track.

I hope people are willing to accept him struggling. I have a bad feeling that the majority of the fan base is expecting him to come up and dominate. Maybe he will, but as Brett Taylor wrote about today at Bleacher Nation, he's being brought up to face big league pitching, fielding situations, and the big game in general. He probably will struggle, but all that really matters is that he's getting big league experience and that the club is continuing to move him along on a really good developmental track.

I have no expectations other then him hitting a coupe tape measure shots here and there. If he bats above 220, it's a good sign IMO.

Someone is pointed out that he has plus defense at 2B. At that position, he only needs to hit something like .250 or .260.

I wouldn't say he's a plus defender, but I'd say he could be. Just needs more reps.

If he becomes a 30 homer guy, who can defend okay, a 250 avg is acceptable. I just hope he ends up better then that.

Apparently the Yanks put Matt Thornton on waivers and the Nats were awarded the claim.

It is unclear if there is an actual trade or the Yanks are just letting them have him (I doubt its the later)