DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

While I agree that the acapella singing is kind of awesome, I wonder if it is against some fair play stuff. I remember our big fan choreographies in 2006 causing a big commotion and where evaluated as unsportsmanlike conduct, forcing the football association to help other fans with choreographies of their own.

So, I wonder, do we get other teams´ fans (or plants, since the squads´ supporters might need help) to sing acappela aswell? If so, what do the Spaniards do, their anthem has no text. Maybe humming along the melody for a minute?

I like how Marcelo doesn't even wait to fall down before he looks to the referee to beg. It's all one continuous motion.

It's pure La Liga skill.

Fascinating game, in a Barcelona/Celtic kind of way. And Mexico just nearly won it at the death which would have been something.

Was Barca vs Celtic that even? I haven´t seen it. Apart from about ten minutes after Jo being subbed on and one or two accidental chances in the first (all of them superbly saved by the Mexican GK), it was quite back and forth to me. I thought Mexico threw away a few of their counters, but they seemed to rely on shots from distance, most of them where well taken. In the end I guess the point is what they wanted and I´m happy for them they got it.

Hmm, I really had the impression that it was basically just a short spell, around 68th to 80th minute. Especially between 50th and 65th it seemed as if Mexico was the team attacking. Not all out or anything, but very controlled attacks and getting closer and closer to the box. That 10 to 12 minutes though were all Brazil and had lots of chances.

I just thought the explanation "Brazil played really well and just forgot to score" didn´t quite work out for me. A lot of there chances came because they caught a few lucky bounces or created from set pieces after nothing else worked. They aren´t weak, but they confirmed my thoughts about their squad from the match versus Croatia. Very strong, physical site with Neymar on offense.

I've been saying for an age Brazil won't win the tournament. They should have lost tonight and Croatia deserved a draw. It's the worst squad they've had at a World Cup in my lifetime and they have David Luiz in the centre of defence. The pressure is huge and they just don't have enough great players to cover for the average. Neymar would have to have a Maradona 86 like World Cup for them to win.

Mexico were excellent, Ochoa with the performance of the tournament, Herrera, Aguilar, Marquez, Rodríguez and Guardado all played well too. Neymar, Marcelo and Thiago SIlva (who should have been sent off) were the only players for Brazil who come out of it with any credit.

That's the thing with Ochoa. I personally think he's overrated (as it pertains to fans of Mexico and his former club America) but he has a tendency to play big against big squads. I seem to recall he held PSG scoreless in a Ligue 1 match this year playing for Ajaccio.