DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: THE HIGHLANDERS (Robbie & Rory McAllister

RIPPA

Sorry for the delay as I totally spaced having to post something today.

This might turn into just Robbie McAllister. Does Rory even still wrestle? I see lots of pseudo current Robbie singles matches but nothing for Rory (though I am too lazy to look to see if he is working a different gimmick)

Oh yeah, these guys were a thing once...

I forgot about them until Robbie's name showed up in the PWI 500 I was scrolling through looking for ideas

Didn't they get fired from WWE because one of them went to a TNA taping and got shown on tv?

Yep.  Which sucked on so many levels.  First of all: who the hell that is employed by WWE would ever be dumb enough to go sit in the crowd like a fuckin' mark at a competing show?  You wouldn't have seen Phineas I.Godwin sitting in the crowd at Nitro.  Secondly: maaaan, what a DICK move by TNA to actually put him on camera.  It didn't make them look any better, didn't make the WWE look any worse, it just hurt that one guy.  (And the "oh shit, what am I DOING, I am SO fired" look on his face was more pathetic than funny.)  Thirdly: except it didn't just hurt that one guy, it hurt his tag partner just as much, when the WWE promptly fired both of them.  Wassupwitdat?  They couldn't have repackaged the other dude in another gimmick, or even just turned him singles as THE Highlander?  

As for the team: I remember they were both decent workers, but the gimmick was so over-the-top goofy that it was almost unbelievable.  Here you had a couple of swashbuckling kilt-wearing highland rogues who stepped right off the set of Rob Roy.  Imagine if you did that featuring people from any OTHER continent: say, a couple of tribal African fellows with spears and grass skirts and bones through their noses.  (Well, then again, Kamala... but by this point he's seen as a nostalgia act that reminds us of different times, you couldn't get away with doing him as a NEW gimmick in this day and age.)  It's kinda funny to watch wrestling ever-so-slowly retreat into the fewer and fewer ethnic stereotypes that they're still allowed to perpetuate.  

I don't remember that, but I wouldn't be surprised.  

Man, how incredibly petty these rassling fools be.  It would've been easy to do ANYTHING better with the Highlanders other than what they did, the standard "oh they just disappeared. They never existed.  Poof!"  Why not USE the situation?  At the very next TV taping, have the Highlanders get destroyed in a match... in which only Robbie participates, he never tags Rory in.  Make it a super-squash or whatever, just Robbie starts the match and also ends it without ever making a tag.  Then an infuriated Rory superkicks him through a barber shop window or something, shaves his manly beard down to an evil goattee, and proclaims "there can only be ONE!" and hey presto, new gimmick, a phoenix from the ashes.  

Heck, EVERYONE could've benefitted: have Robbie go to TNA (cue Mike Tenay: "WE KNOW WHO THAT IS!" Audience: "...we do?") and cut an angry shoot promo on the company that destroyed his career by merely pointing a camera at him at the wrong moment.  "Ach, I'm goon tu invade dis cump'ny an baurn it tu de grounde!" or whatever.  And then of course he somehow gets sidetracked into a feud with Black Reign or Rellik or something, but at least they could have him hang around for a while and then definitively loses a blow-off match.  At which point he goes back to the WWE (Rory's midcard heel push for the United States title on Smackdown didn't go so well in the meantime, he mostly just did a bunch of jobs to Kennedy and MVP in shitty forgettable matches) and the Highlanders are sent back to Deep South to do a little time in purgatory as a gentle punishment, before coming back on the roster again with a death-metal remix of their entrance music and some really dark-colored Viking-looking shit for what they wear as they walk down the ramp, all spikes and steel and Road Warriors-but-not-plastic.  BINGO, money!  Okay, it might draw nickels instead of dollars, but hey dammit, it's annoying when the big boys can't see obvious solutions to their problems.  

I totally forgot about these guys.  Too bad they got the broom under such horrible terms.  You'd think there's be a buil in gimmick for a heel Scottish tag-team to beat down Sheamus.