DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

I'll keep this short, because if I go into detail, this post will turn into a 5 paragraph story and I just don't want to do that.

So, long story short - August 31st, that night, my mom intentionally overdosed on Baclofen, a muscle relaxer prescibed for her Multiple Sclerosis. Some 5 or 6 hours later, she's been without oxygen to her brain for far too long. She ended up in the ER, then moved to the ICU, where a day later she had seizures every few hours, and was in a coma more or less. For about a week. For the first few days after it happened, it seemed really dark and gloomy. Then the seizures stopped, and it was just a wait and see scenario, which might be more uncomfortable than anything because you just. don't. know. Well, she's been awake for about 5 days now, and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Of course, it's a long road to recovery from here, but at least my mother is awake now and talking and laughing.

Damn Casey. I'm glad she's awake. Here's hoping her recovery goes really well.

Have you tried the approach of giving it cat food? The foulest tempered cats get surprisingly mellow when they perceive a food source. And I'm sorry, but your dog needs to grow a pair...

New Neighbors:

• Put their cat in the shared basement during the day. It is aggressive and hisses and spits at me and my wife when we're near it. Sometimes it sits on the stairs to the basement. When I try to inch past it, it claws at my legs. Wife won't get near it so now I do all the laundry.
  • They also put their cat out in the back yard all night. It does the same thing there. It really hates my dog (a wheaten terrier) and will hiss and spit at Ollie, so now he won't go in the back if he sees it. Because he's timid.

For the cat, take a water bottle with you every time you go to the basement and spritz the cat in the face.

It turns out this just angers the cat, who has gotten increasingly aggressive. As in, if it's in the backyard, and I start walking into the backyard from upstairs, it runs at me hissing and spitting. Sick of this shit.

two things I regret about ever disclosing to my friends that I am studying psychology with a focus on working at suicide hotlines/sexual assault crisis centers

1) The conversation starter of "Hey, you're a psychologist, right?" Or "Hey, you're studying psychology, right?" Because there's no way to know what the fuck they're about to pass off on me like I can answer for it.

2) People rolling up on me like I have the secrets of the universe down. A close friend of mine going through basically a nightmare phase of a relationship rolled up on me today asking for my "best 'don't kill yourself' script." Like... I am training to handle that shit from afar, and no one actually wants to know what that figurative playbook looks like because it will make them very, very uncomfortable. 

I can actually remember when Red Robin was a tavern on Lake Union that happened to make a bunch of fantastic burgers. Now those were some kickass burgers. The chain is just a pale, tasteless shadow of what was...

Applebee's got rid of one of my favorite burgers. I really need a Red Robin closer to where I live.

Nah, you really don't.

Applebee's got rid of one of my favorite burgers. I really need a Red Robin closer to where I live.

Nah, you really don't.

Everyone I know hates Red Robin, but the one here in Kelowna is great. I've never had a bad meal or bad service...except for the time I made the mistake of asked for the salted caramel shake. Ugh.

• Like 1

Nah, you really don't.

Everyone I know hates Red Robin, but the one here in Kelowna is great. I've never had a bad meal or bad service...except for the time I made the mistake of asked for the salted caramel shake. Ugh.
I've eaten at four locations, maybe five. The food and/or service has been terrible every single time. And it's overpriced.
  • Like 1

Nah, you really don't.
I've eaten at four locations, maybe five. The food and/or service has been terrible every single time. And it's overpriced.

I always wonder how much it matters by location/staff, the Red Robin by me is great also. Best service I have at about any chain restaurant.

Nah, you really don't.

I always wonder how much it matters by location/staff, the Red Robin by me is great also. Best service I have at about any chain restaurant.

On the flip side, they were dumb enough to hire me to serve tables for about a year.

• Like 1

Got home from work today to find my neighbor (70-ish single man) lying face down on his sidewalk. He was unresponsive but breathing raggedly. I called 911 and the paramedics were there in two minutes. They worked on him while getting him onto a gurney. He was rapidly turning blue. I haven't heard anything yet (I contacted his emergency contacts from his cell phone) on if he made it, but it wasn't looking good when they took him away.

• Like 1

After a long struggle with ill health, my dad passed away earlier today. It's been years since he was truly "himself" but the dad I knew was a kind and generous father, a teacher by example, and a positive role model for dozens of young men through baseball and Boy Scouts. He enjoyed the simple things in life - fishing, sports, and loving my mom.

I am blessed to have spent the last two weeks with him and was able to say the things I needed to say - and have him hear them. That is a rare gift, one for which I am very thankful.

No sadness today - my dad was awesome and now he's no longer in pain.

• Like 9