DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

The other night I was leaving work and drove over to the grocery store to get some food, 20 minutes later I get to my car and it wouldn't start, I'm thinking 'son of a bitch!', tried a few more times, wouldn't start, so I had to find a kind stranger who would give me a jump, thankfully, it didn't take long to get it started, but it had me nervous going home. And the next day nervous to start, but it worked fine, but instead of stopping somewhere after work to get a bite to eat I had to nervously drive home.

I'd like to believe it's because of the relatively cold weather we've been having in GA, but it still has me nervous. I should've spent more time learning about cars, I know jack about them.

Going back a few posts, health insurance is there for when something major hits.  I was VERY lucky that I had insurance for my two hospital visits this past year, otherwise I would have owed thousands of dollars that would have taken forever to pay off.  I felt the same way as Hooks did for a long time but age brings wisdom, or something...

• Like 1

Plus normal stuff is covered under the ACA, so if you're depressed or just need a check-up it's free!

Also, the deductible isn't like a car deductible, you actually pay reduced (as opposed to uninsured people) rates until you hit said deductible and then everything gets paid for. Look at co-pays and such for convenient/urgent care, primary care physicians, and emergency room visits (which generally get waived if you're actually admitted to the hospital)

I had an ELECTIVE MRI to try to figure out my ear issues last year and I paid nothing for it, despite the hospital charging my insurance provider something like $1500 for it.

Going back a few posts, health insurance is there for when something major hits.  I was VERY lucky that I had insurance for my two hospital visits this past year, otherwise I would have owed thousands of dollars that would have taken forever to pay off.  I felt the same way as Hooks did for a long time but age brings wisdom, or something...

I'll, uh.....be 40 in February. ;)

And I get the reduced rates.  At one point I worked in a call center for Anthem.  But a $6,600 deductible still just seems insane. 

Again, I've never actually hit my deductible and the past few years I've had a lot of work done. Never paid more than a co-pay for anything. A lot of preventative stuff is covered now, because it's cheaper to prevent than cure stuff.

Even though I had my first colonoscopy at age 35 (well before the suggested age of 50, where it becomes "preventative") because of family history it fell under such and thus was free. I don't think I paid for the upper endoscopy either.

ETA: I should say that all this cheerleading for insurance is kinda ironic, because as of 1/1 I don't actually have it.  I had insurance via my wife's company, but during her open enrollment period they announced they were instituting a $90/month spousal coverage surcharge, so I scrambled to make sure I could get coverage via my employer, filled out all the paper work, and have been waiting for a letter saying I'm off her insurance as of 12/31/14 for about a month now.  Every time we call and ask where it is we get the same "oh, it should have been sent out already, I'll send another and it'll get there in 7-10 days" runaround.

Even when it costs them nothing, insurance companies like to screw around with you.

Stuck in a hospital right now while my 1 week old son has a bunch of IVs and shit hooked up to him.  Been in here for the last 24 hours.  It doesn't seem to be anything that serious at this point, so I'm guessing we get out in the next day or two. 

We took him in around 1 AM as a precaution.  By the time I'd been in the door 30 seconds they had already rushed him into a room, and about 14 motherfuckers had come rushing in.  Looked like a fucking episode of ER or something.  I wasn't worried till I saw em all come running in, then it scared the shit out of me.

Watching them do the spinal tap just about killed me.  I would've gladly suffered just about anything myself to avoid putting him through that.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  They sent us home this evening.  Diagnosis is perioral cyanosis, which is a complicated way of saying the area around his mouth is blue, but we don't really know why.  They were able to rule out a bunch of scary cardiac and pulmonary causes, so I'm profoundly grateful for that.  Some of the cultures are still ongoing, but they're confident enough at this point to release him.  He's eating well and putting weight on, so hopefully we got scared for no real reason, and everything will be fine.

• Like 4

Just getting some shit off my mind, y'all. Not required reading.

Last few years have really been shitty. I've had a break-in (twice, actually, a year apart). My recent relocation was precipitated by serious damage to the house I was in at the time. I have been hassled by the members of the community I had been living in, to the point I'm still paying a $500 fine for violating a "high grass" ordinance at a time between semesters that I had no money to pay for mower repair or a person to keep the grass low. I've been pending divorce because my spouse was cheating on me with an old boyfriend; that got finalized some time ago. In seeing other girls, when they found out I was divorced, I became a pariah (seems a lot of assumption goes into guys who've been divorced). I've had to give away two pets because of this apartment's policies, which was heartbreaking. All my friends are busy with other shit to even have time to keep up with me on text. My health hit rock bottom about a yr ago with prostatitis; my doc likes to remind me that I'm not out of the woods as far as getting cancer. Last semester, a student who solidly earned an F began hate stalking me, accusing me of being a racist; although he got expelled, I'm under evaluation this semestet just in case his allegations were correct. (Could be worse; about two years ago, a student I had for an intro psych class was expelled for having a gun in his possession. He was looking for me and one other professor, turns out.) And one of my clients I had thought was making progress in therapy committed suicide.

It's been a bad run, the past few years. But I'd stayed stoic, being funny if not happy. I had high hopes for a new year.

This week, I've been reassigned to a new job location which I despise. This means a demotion, but I leveraged to stay at my same pay. However, this puts me at the top of my pay band, so I'll never have a solid chance of a raise.

A girl I'd been friends with for almost a year, we started just last weekend to make moves toward something more. This week - Thursday - she tells me she's gone out twice with this dude from Tinder "and it went really well." Even as friends, daily text convos have turned into me not hearing anything from her since that talk Thursday.

Talked to my daughter last night. This was the first time that she called the ex's boyfriend "my other dad" instead of by his name. To be clear, I don't give a fuck about my ex's shit. But I'm her only dad. Period, paragraph, end of story.

It's 2pm. I haven't gotten put of bed except to drop my 1s & 2s. I've been suspecting since Wednesday, but I'm positive today: yeah, that can only be blood.

I'm not trying to be pitiful or anything. But hoping that writomg this will be cathartic. I don't want to assume that anyone really wants to read it, hence the spoiler tag, but having this in my head is got me thinking some ill shit. Less so now. So guess it worked? Anyway, if you did read this, I appreciate the interest. I'll be fine.

tl;dr My life has taken a turn for the fucked.

Hey Robert, I know you just posted yesterday, but how is your son doing?

He seems to be doing fine.  Color is still off, but all the doctors think that's not a serious issue.  Just wish we knew why his oxygen level was so low when we first got him into the ER.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning, stretched, and felt a sharp pain in my right calf muscle.  No idea what happened, but I've been limping all day.  Think something like this has happened before and it went away on its own...just wishing I'd taken some Tylenol or something before coming to work.

Glad to hear Robert. The Oxygen level could have been an anomaly. There has to be someone out there that could give you the answer. Do you have a pediatrician yet that may be able to answer?

Patrick, you may be dehydrated. Try eating a banana or something high in Potassium. Also, hydrate the best you can. Stay clear of coffee and tea for a bit. I'll sometimes go through this if I let my blood sugar get out of whack and end up urinating a lot. Frequent urination can drain the nutrients needed, including said Potassium. Yeah, I have no one but myself to blame on that. Nonetheless, I've been there.

Wake up this morning with a FEROCIOUS itching in my scalp, and then in just about everywhere else. Try to deal with it, but about 1:30 it's driving me nuts so I go to the doc. Doc concludes it's probably an allergic reaction, but she's got no idea to what, so she prescribes a cortisone shot and 2 Claritins/day. I FUCKING HATE the effect steroids have on my body, but the itching is driving me crazy, so fuck it. The itching stops, but the swelling is still there, and now I'm getting chills. And then just as a final "fuck you" from my body to me, it hurts to pee. (Doc also said lots of water!) ARRRGHHH