DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Way to go Jack. You traded for a guy who rejected your QO, rejected the 3 year deal you offered him, rejected the offer you made him after the draft and clearly just DOES NOT FUCKING WANT TO PLAY HERE!

The Phillies apparently have officially benched Ryan Howard.

Another victim of Tabe's "Fat Guy Theorem" which states that nearly all Fat Guys fall off the cliff performance-wise rather than gradually declining.  See also: Vaughn, Mo. 

So Chuck Knoblauch was arrested and charged with assaulting his ex-wife... again (he had already been convicted of it once before)

Knoblauch had been scheduled to be inducted into the Twins’ team Hall of Fame next month in a ceremony at Target Field, but the Twins just announced the cancellation of that event–and apparently his induction, period–in the wake of this news.

So apparently Knoblauch should have played football instead...

• Like 2

Forwarded your comment to Ray Rice and he suggested you best not ride an elevator with him anytime soon.

• Like 1

So Chuck Knoblauch was arrested and charged with assaulting his ex-wife... again (he had already been convicted of it once before)

Knoblauch had been scheduled to be inducted into the Twins’ team Hall of Fame next month in a ceremony at Target Field, but the Twins just announced the cancellation of that event–and apparently his induction, period–in the wake of this news.

Must resist obvious response ...

Oh Rob Dibble

Rob Dibble ‏@robdibble49  10h

OMG, Sabermetrics it's the ultimate in BS speculation. Kinda like, if The Queen had balls Shed be The King. Give it up nerds
  • Like 2

Jackson's a lot like Ricky Nolasco, in that he continually has better peripherals than results and that you can't even count on them to give a proper evaluation of his skills.

FUN WITH SABERMETRICS TIME! People always talk about regression and progression to the mean in regards to streaking or slumping hitters and pitchers. But while the mean for the league is usually around .300, that doesn't mean that every player's mean is .300. Ichiro's career BABIP is .343 - we can't expect him to start declining and playing even worse than he is this year because he has a .341 BABIP right now. The reverse is true for someone like Adam Dunn. His career BABIP is .287. Expecting him to *not* get worse this year because he has a .301 BABIP is misguided.

The same is true for pitchers. Nolasco and Jackson have career BABIPs of .312 and .311, respectively. While they're both above those career marks this season, expecting the results to start matching the stats is short-sighted - they're always going to do what they're doing now, just maybe not to this extent. And on the other side of the coin, thinking Clayton Kershaw is going to suddenly start allowing a ton more runs because of his .282 BABIP is off, because his career mark is actually .271. Hell, he might get *better* in the second half, especially given how ridiculous his peripherals are.

Cristobal, you brought up Jim Johnson, and he's not a 6.92 ERA pitcher. But with that shit ass walk rate and his typical low strikeout rate, there's not a ton of room for improvement despite his high BABIP and high HR/FB. I honestly don't know who the real Jim Johnson is anymore - but he's not a $10 million pitcher by any stretch of the imagination

Leaving ERA aside, his xFIP's a whole 1.22 points higher than last year's, so he's a demonstrably worse pitcher. The combination of BB rate and HR/FB close to double his career rates suggests that he's lost something on his pitches, be it speed, break, or deception, but basically he's not getting hitters to chase out of the zone, and they're crushing the ones he leaves in it.

I don't think his numbers from the past few years suggested this was likely, but "I was theoretically right, even if the results were completely opposed to what I was predicting," makes for a lousy argument.

I fucking hate Edwin Jackson so much. I don't give a shit how much Fangraphs wants me to believe he's actually not as much of a shit show as he is.

This is why instead of listening to Cubs games, I listen to Iowa, Tennessee, Daytona, or Kane County instead.

Javy Baez hit a homer out of the park and into the parking lot yesterday. You know you hit hit hard when the pitcher is smiling in disbelief after giving up a homer. Jorge Solers first AAA game was 1-3 with two walks. His plate patience is probably second best in the organization already. And Addison Russell got 2 infield singles, scored from first on a single, and made a plain silly play at SS.