DVDVR Message Board

The 2014 NBA Finals

Dolfan in NYC

I love that on Twitter now we're getting rumblings from some of the reporters about how unbearable the smells are in the locker rooms. This is truly what this golden age of social media and interaction is about.

• Like 2

Hah, Josh, it seems like you think the (lack of an AC) fix was in. Hell, if anything until Lebron cramped out, you could tell the conditions were killing the Spurs since they have those old legs and sweaty hands (22 turnovers) to deal with. 

Now we only have to wait 3 days for the next game in San Antonio.  That long trip from the hotel to the arena.

Hey, look on the bright side. At least they have three days to fix the A/C. 

Judging by the Heat cardio this game, if I'm the Spurs' AC guy I would take my time.

Hah, Josh, it seems like you think the (lack of an AC) fix was in. Hell, if anything until Lebron cramped out, you could tell the conditions were killing the Spurs since they have those old legs and sweaty hands (22 turnovers) to deal with.

Except LeBron's kryptonite is legcramps. So what if they create conditions to exploit that?

I know he scored some points but I find it hard to believe in a team starting Rashard Lewis in 2014.

31 minutes without a turnover is impressive. No rebounds, assists, blocks or steals either in that time. Some of the strangest people on the planet have to be the ones that run to twitter anytime someone is injured to defend Jay Cutler from his injury years ago.

Something I'd be curious to know: Do NBA teams use default sports drink formulations? Or do they customize the electrolyte balance and osmolarity by player? I'd think that they must. Given that, it seems odd to me that his cramping problems persist, since it would be the easiest thing to create a customized sports drink for Lebron's sweat rate. Leg cramps do also frequently arise from muscle damage, which is why we see them at the end of endurance races, even when the temperature isn't extreme. Possible Lebron just plays so much - and always with so much "fast twitch" emphasis - that his leg muscles give out sometimes? 

Can't say. The exact mechanisms behind cramping are still debated and studied intensely. Certainly Miami isn't lacking in resources or motivation to find a solution, however.

An aside: I've had 3 stress fractures, and a few other of the usual assortment of runner's injuries. By far the most painful and debilitating of those, however, were calf cramps I suffered at the tail end of a trail 50K (in Kansas, in July). You can "play through" a lot of painful things. But when severe cramps hit, no amount of "grit" will fix the problem. When your muscles quit, they quit. That's it. You're done. I'm pretty confident all the twitter warriors out tonight haven't experienced a similar sensation. 

I listened to most of the second half on ESPN Radio and it was hilarious listening to the panic in the voices of the announcers when Lebron went out with his cramps. After the game was over you would think Lebron had a torn quad the way they were talking. The NBA must have been freaking out.

I'm sure LeBron will come back "huge" in game two just so the narrative holds. But him not being able to play in heat is amusing. I assume it gets pretty damn hot in Ohio. I find it hard to believe when he was in his teens he wasn't playing games on hot days or humid nights on the ball courts.

But man that LeBron gif is too much. Somewhere Kobe and Michael were both collectively laughing their asses off.

Spurs closed out Game 6 with their best player sitting with an ice pack on his ankle.

Not taking anything away from the Heat or saying LBJ's gutless or the like. But injuries happen and finding away through them is pretty important.

An NBA Final played without AC in a steamy sweatbox? It's Boston v. Los Angeles at the Garden in 1985 and '87 all over again!

Dennis and Magic Johnson didn't need no recirculated air. Damn sissy kids today

346m9o1.jpg

xbg48j.jpg

Something I'd be curious to know: Do NBA teams use default sports drink formulations? Or do they customize the electrolyte balance and osmolarity by player? I'd think that they must. Given that, it seems odd to me that his cramping problems persist, since it would be the easiest thing to create a customized sports drink for Lebron's sweat rate. Leg cramps do also frequently arise from muscle damage, which is why we see them at the end of endurance races, even when the temperature isn't extreme. Possible Lebron just plays so much - and always with so much "fast twitch" emphasis - that his leg muscles give out sometimes? 

LeBron seems to be predisposed to cramping, so I'd say you're on to something here.  It wasn't the temprature so much, but a combination of everything.  Still, you'd think the Heat training staff would have some type of ointment on hand to help keep him in the game.

If anything, this should motivate Powerade to develop a line of drinks specific to certain needs.  They'd make a fortune with specialized sports drinks--LeBron being the first endorser, of course.

People need to chill a bit. The Heat have been pretty fortunate with injuries.. lucky for them it is only a cramp issue and LeBron will be fine for the rest of the series. The big thing for the Spurs is that they finally caught a nice little break against this team. Now they need to capitalize.